AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage baler or regular baler?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

btdt
Posted 8/22/2017 21:59 (#6204405)
Subject: Silage baler or regular baler?

nc ks
Did some baleage this spring and summer. Have not fed any yet but pretty sure it is going to be good feed. Rye was baled with a regular 567 deere and Sudan baled with big Vermeer baler. None silage ready balers. I would like to purchase my own baler. Question is are silage balers a must to do baleage correct. We had trouble with Vermeer having Sudan wrap around front roll. We would do around 200-250 bales baleage and dry bale 100-150. Will a regular baler get a dense enough bale? Are the knives a must to cut up crop? Will regular balers hold up under more stressful conditions? Do the silage kits work on regular balers? There r a lot of reasonable priced dry balers out there. And if a kit works I would go that route. Maybe I don't have enough balers to justify a baler but it is hard to get them there when u want them. Too many times biting my nails with rain coming. Needing some advice. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Eddy in TN
Posted 8/23/2017 05:58 (#6204719 - in reply to #6204405)
Subject: RE: Silage baler or regular baler?

Pulaski, TN
I went through the same thing as you this spring. We decided to go with high moisture hay. I knew my dry baler wouldn't do the job so I started looking. I can tell you this. The New Holland and Case IH baler will almost roll wet hay the way they come from the factory. The John Deere won't. NH and CIH balers have a "floor roll" that carries the weight of the bale. JD belts carry the weight. Any of the silage balers will also roll dry hay. The big difference in silage balers is the pickup. They are made heavier and with an extra bar in the pickup. The teeth are larger in diameter also. I have a NH 460 RotoFeed. It has a drop bottom. It also has endless belts. I saw a CIH 460 silage baler run Monday. It did not have the RotoFeed and it took the hay in just fine. I can tell you this, they are not cheap! Good Luck!!
thefoolishfarmer
Posted 8/23/2017 07:14 (#6204855 - in reply to #6204405)

South cental Ohio
We have a New Holland silage baler. Does dry or wet hay fine. Wish we would have got the more expensive chopping baler now.... only because when we bale and ensile long stemmed grass or rye hay, the manure around the bale racks is a b*tch to haul because it wraps in our spreader.
jcolli140
Posted 8/23/2017 17:41 (#6206055 - in reply to #6204719)

SC Wisconsin
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you like your 460? I assume by rotofeed you mean you have the cropcutter with knives? I have been looking at the new hollands alot and may end up buying one this winter with the cropcutter
Eddy in TN
Posted 8/24/2017 05:58 (#6206899 - in reply to #6206055)

Pulaski, TN
My 460 does not have knives. It does have the drop floor. The rotofeeder just keeps the crop thrown back into the bale chamber. I really like it so far. I have had some trouble with the net wrap if the hay is really wet. All silage, high moisture balers should have a pickup reverser on them. Of the times I have plugged, its usually the header.
Oldtonew
Posted 10/26/2017 21:13 (#6329242 - in reply to #6204405)

Regular balers will not hold up long doing baleage even if the baler will bale a good tight bale.

Silage balers have heavier built bearings and chains for longer bale life of baler.

Knives are good to have and when you have long stem crop knives will allow baler to make better bale. Knives chop crop so it will pack a tighter air tight bale which enables better ensile process.

Silage kits on a dry baler is just a get by. The amount of baleage 200-250 bales per year you intend on baling don't waste your money on a dry baler with silage kit. Good silage baler will cost more but in long run you will no regret it.

Welger has some older model very good silage balers that you may could find reasonably priced.

Edited by Oldtonew 10/26/2017 21:33
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)