AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feed Bunk rail height
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 12/11/2016 09:57 (#5690183)
Subject: Feed Bunk rail height

Dayton, IA
I have concrete feed bunks with a guard rail above them directly above the cattle side of the bunk. Once cattle are about 600-650lbs they can't get through, but below that there is always a calf or 2 that want to get into the bunk. I have 2x4's that I screw on under the guard rail and then they can't get through so only need to close it down by 3-4 inches, but would like something permanent that I don't have to take off and on depending on size of cattle in the pen. I have a bunch of 2 1/2 inch pipe and I see pictures of bunks with a pipe sticking out 12-18 inches over the feed and below the neck rail. It looks to me like that would keep calves out of the bunk without having to change anything for big cattle. Am I correct and does anyone have a good dimmension to mount the pipe?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kritzy
Posted 12/11/2016 10:50 (#5690277 - in reply to #5690183)
Subject: RE: Feed Bunk rail height

red river valley se of fargo
My bottom rail is 16" directly above the bunk board. I've never had a calf get through. Occasionally a peewee will try and put a front leg through but not for very long. 16" is just big enough for fats to eat comfortably as well. These dimensions were stolen from garvo's specs and he's fed a bunch of cattle with this setup. Good luck.
garvo
Posted 12/11/2016 14:24 (#5690696 - in reply to #5690183)

western iowa,by Denison
we always put the rail on different so that the calf doesn't go thru so easy-took a while to figure the inside worked better-I have had 250# sneek out if they are real hungry-I do not want anything in the bunk in my way to scoop it out if I have to-usually also helps to have that bunk up ona 8inch curb-a flat bunk with no curb creates more trouble and also on bigger cattle makes it harder for them to eat right
ajblair
Posted 12/11/2016 18:03 (#5691205 - in reply to #5690183)

Dayton, IA
My guard rail is bolted to the front posts on my monoslope building. The bunks sit up 6 inches on a pad above the building floor. I have really big bunks and actually think they are too big - smaller cattle sometimes have trouble getting to the back of the bunk. Anyway, this afternoon I lowered the guardrail on one pen to 16 inch opening like you said. I currently have a 19 inch opening and have always worried about narrowing it up, but anoying having small calves in the bunk.

I will see how it goes. I like the idea of just lowering the guard rail instead of adding more things in the bunk - like you said, scooping snow is enough work without anything in the way.

A.J.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)