AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Boomless pasture sprayers.. ideas..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 8/31/2016 09:45 (#5501163)
Subject: Boomless pasture sprayers.. ideas..

KY

Thought I'd hit more of my target audience here than in Machinery talk.. Been needing a pasture sprayer for some time, some spots too steep and often too wet to get through with my spra coupe and the boom width makes it not friendly for that either.. Was picking up a load of odd and end equipment that a friend bought to resell yesterday and the guy had a heavy-built 3 pt carrier he had built for a counterweight for loader work on his 75 hp Deere.  Picked it up for next to nothing, be just right for about 150 gallon tank setup.  I'd like to put a 50 foot boomless nozzle on it, (hoping for a good 35 foot swath), with bypass for agitation and pressure control.  Have at least 3 pto pumps laying around, surely one of them will work,otherwise no big deal to pick up another.  Neighbor just kills his with PTO, since we're not talking crop accuracy here, but I was thinking it might be better to use a solenoid valve and leave the pump running as long as I have plenty of agitation flow.  Anyone built their own boomless sprayer and have any good things they came across or would like to share?  Not looking to break the bank but want to do it right the first time instead of going back and changing things often.  All will be done from cab tractor, so manual valve is pretty much out.  Neighbor has an open JX80 farmall and can't get his close enough to reach anyway.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
ccjersey
Posted 8/31/2016 10:15 (#5501198 - in reply to #5501163)
Subject: RE: Boomless pasture sprayers.. ideas..

Faunsdale, AL
Most of what you spray on pastures won't need a lot of agitation anyway, but a centrifugal usually has more capacity so you can get more agitation.

A single boomjet with a high capacity motorized valve will work just fine. Put a regulator/bypass on it and calibrate it for a useful speed and you are good to go. I use a simple 3 pt sprayer with booms for all my spraying and the only real problems are with the booms......oh and the TeeJet 144a solenoid valves. I doubt one would handle the gpm you need anyway, better to get a larger more dependable ball valve.
ihmanky
Posted 8/31/2016 10:47 (#5501247 - in reply to #5501198)

KY
The guy had a 3 pt sprayer ready to go with 15' booms, if he would have come off of that we wouldn't be having this discussion! Said he needed it for his deer plots. 15 I can handle but my 60's were just too much. I think the boomless will be the ticket, for 24D it probably wouldn't need any agitation with all the sloshing around it'd do anyway. Thanks for the input !
O.u.and.direct
Posted 8/31/2016 11:41 (#5501337 - in reply to #5501247)

Southwest Missouri
We took the booms off an old sprayer we bought at a auction the 300g tank and frame were good. We put two of the boom extender nozzles on the back works good for us we get about a 30 foot pattern with no wind. Plumed them with ball valves so you can run one side or the other when doing fence rows or what ever. Control pressure with just a gate valve,with both on we run about 40-45 psi. It's very simple and cheap but it works
ccjersey
Posted 8/31/2016 12:38 (#5501420 - in reply to #5501337)

Faunsdale, AL
I haven't had real good luck with section control with just a bypass regulator on mine.

I added a standard Watts pressure regulator after the bypass regulator because the pressure always rises after i cut off one section. That worked well enough to stop the pressure rise and force more flow through the bypass regulator, but the diaphragm or seat or something didn't make it more than one season, it is just stuck open and the pressure rises again. Didn't cost but $20, but now I need another one.

I think the best solution is section valves that bypass back to the tank when closed. With an adjustable bypass you can shut one and total flow doesn't change, so pressure stays stable.

Just ways to get by without a real rate controller if you want section control.
In Futures
Posted 8/31/2016 18:48 (#5501868 - in reply to #5501163)

Corydon,In
I have a Fast 3pt pasture sprayer 250 gallon with 30 foot booms. Heavy duty unit. Never been used. It has a hydralic pump and 3 section raven contol. I would sell.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/31/2016 18:59 (#5501893 - in reply to #5501163)

Pretty much built the same thing but on a somewhat smaller scale. Was looking to replace 35 gal tank on ATV so built this 65 gallon one on a carry all frame electric pump about a 15 ft boom less nozzle as well as small boom section as wide as platform and a hand gun on a hose reel all ran by a 12 volt pump and selector valve.

Goes on a 8N for mostly spraying yards lanes side ditches, gravel areas around buildings etc. have even done a little field small area spraying as well. Pretty good load for 8N weight wise makes it pretty light in the front so for more gallons probably need something bigger especially on slopes.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=464550

puff33m
Posted 8/31/2016 19:39 (#5501983 - in reply to #5501893)

N FLA
That's a great description. Read it several times before, but just like looking again at the pics.
ntexcotton
Posted 8/31/2016 20:40 (#5502143 - in reply to #5501163)

North Central Texas
Since you are used to running a sprayer with rate control, the boom less will tick you off. I retired my pt row crop sprayer to good pasture sprayer. When we use the 300 gallon boom less sprayer, I take the raven off of the big sprayer. You would be surprised how many dollars in chemicals it will save. Big pattern nozzles wear fast and you can't go by pressure alone.
povertypoint
Posted 8/31/2016 22:00 (#5502399 - in reply to #5501163)

SE SD
Have a 300 three point here with a right and left hand side nozzles.
I put a selinoid valve on each one. Can turn on both or one side.
Works great for spraying fence line (if you can find the time)
With both valves closed I generally just turn off the pto, don't think the bypass leaves enough through.
Rough pastures
create enough agitation and aggravation. :)

If memory serves me, the valves were about 25 bucks. Just wired them through toggle switches.

Edited by povertypoint 8/31/2016 22:04

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (39KB - 265 downloads)
ihmanky
Posted 9/1/2016 10:41 (#5503109 - in reply to #5502399)

KY
That's the ticket right there, thanks for that photo. Yeah, I understand the frustration behind not running a controller, but this won't be that many acres and not a ton of potential for overlaps and will probably most often times be strictly 2-4D... I just can't see for what little ill be doing putting in everything I need to run the controller on it, not to mention my 440 is a pain to move.
ihmanky
Posted 9/1/2016 15:04 (#5503495 - in reply to #5501868)

KY

Larry, shoot me an email if you don't care.  Address in my profile. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)