AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shopping for a no till drill which is the best
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

zachary193
Posted 8/14/2016 12:11 (#5468528)
Subject: Shopping for a no till drill which is the best

Going to ag progrsss days this week looking at a few manufacturers of no till drills . Preferably would like the one that has the best wear on parts the long see field life the best seeding . Want a good drill .

John Deere is way to expensive
Haybuster started making. 15 foot one sort of like it
Great Plains seems nice parts would be very close
Crust buster heard nothing good about them .
Landoll really like there drill looks good heavy duty

So far for the use that I will be using it for pasture renovations soybeans small grains with interspersed grass hay mix. Roundup ready alfalfa. Th hay buster seems to have the best for the grass seed and alfalfa clover options . Just don't want something that's gonna wear out the parts in 200 acres .would like to stay under 15 foot because the fields are small and there's a lot of them . Some bigger fields but most would have a hard time turning a 35 footer around. Plus price is a big decision maker .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BHTN
Posted 8/14/2016 12:23 (#5468546 - in reply to #5468528)
Subject: RE: Shopping for a no till drill which is the best

West Tennessee
I assume you're buying a new drill? There are LOTS of JD 15ft drills around used and there is a reason they sell so many. The local NCRS rents out a TYE and we do/have seen a few of those around these parts in the past along with a great plains or two. Probably JD 90% but we're almost all row crop here.
White Workhorse
Posted 8/14/2016 12:32 (#5468559 - in reply to #5468528)

Sourthern WI
Have you looked at a Krause/Kuhn? We really like ours. It's one heavy son of a gun, though. Ours is a 10' and is almost too much weight for a 90hp tractor.
tlarson4430
Posted 8/14/2016 12:35 (#5468561 - in reply to #5468528)

We've been happy with our 10ft JD 1590
wayneNWAR
Posted 8/14/2016 12:41 (#5468570 - in reply to #5468559)

north west arkansas
How has your Krause held up. I have one and mine and every other one around here parts would just falling off before season was half over. I do believe probably the worst piece of equipment I've ever owned and takes months to get parts for. I have 30' crust buster and 10' Great Plains now. Crust buster makes a good drill but for pasture work it's hard to beat a Great Plains end wheel drill.
jimgen
Posted 8/14/2016 12:48 (#5468578 - in reply to #5468561)

central mich

The Crustbuster 4030 is a good drill. Crustbuster prob has the best seed delivery system.
wayneNWAR
Posted 8/14/2016 12:50 (#5468588 - in reply to #5468578)

north west arkansas
+1. I've got around 13k acres on mine and been an excellent drill.
d6btex
Posted 8/14/2016 12:53 (#5468593 - in reply to #5468528)

SE Texas

One of the things to consider is the type of opener you want.  Offset, single or double disc.  I have a Great Plains and have been happy with it doing what you are planning (no alfalfa though).  I have a full weight pack and suggest it to anyone looking at GP.  All those air bags on the Landoll concern me.

Edited by d6btex 8/14/2016 12:57
fhb
Posted 8/14/2016 13:07 (#5468620 - in reply to #5468528)

Eastern Ont
You may not like this but there's a price to pay for a good drill. I've tried a few of the others and they won't match the JD for wear or consistent seed placement over varying soil conditions. In my opinion. It's not perfect and not a planter but it's darn good. Look for a used one with a recent rebuild or rebuild yourself.
andyfarmer
Posted 8/14/2016 13:24 (#5468648 - in reply to #5468620)

SE ND
fhb - 8/14/2016 13:07

You may not like this but there's a price to pay for a good drill. I've tried a few of the others and they won't match the JD for wear or consistent seed placement over varying soil conditions. In my opinion. It's not perfect and not a planter but it's darn good. Look for a used one with a recent rebuild or rebuild yourself.

+1
zachary193
Posted 8/14/2016 13:41 (#5468669 - in reply to #5468528)

Well I am a hardcore John Deere man myself . My blood runs green but not on my implement side . There is a program In Pennsylvania called REAP I'm going to apply you can purchase new conservation equipment for half the price. The sell tax credits to the rich . Not sure how it works but supposedly what I have heard from people that done this they puechased a new machine drill turbo till etc for half the cost . You can buy used but it has to be certified . Why not get a brand new one in that case. Laugh but I sure want my cheese that would be nice .
KDD
Posted 8/14/2016 13:46 (#5468675 - in reply to #5468620)

Leesburg, Ohio
+2

Agree that a planter has better seed spacing, but there is no other drill that will come close to the Deere on consistent penetration, depth, and seed-soil contact. Seeding rate is pretty good once you get it adjusted.

New blades, boots, placement and closing wheel bearings, maybe gauge wheel tires, and a used Deere will be good for many years. I woul look for a late 750 or a 1590. The early 750's had way too many grease zerks, the 1560's had too few, and a two-piece boot that didn't work out so well. The 1590's finally had all the bugs worked out, and with the slanted top, you can actually fill them up without pushing seed by hand.
Dan Loehr
Posted 8/14/2016 14:23 (#5468711 - in reply to #5468669)

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
Z193 as others have said buy a JD --I have not liked any of the JD tillage equip we have owned over the years, do not liked their corn planter (we bought a new 16 row could not get rid of it quick enough) don't really see any advantage to their tractors except if you buy one someone with green underwear will buy it even if it is a POS, we have the worst JD dealer in our area you could imagine--- BUT if I was to buy a 15' drill to do what you are trying to do I would buy a JD single disc NT drill with a grass seeder attachment. And yes we own one --over the years have owned 3 Great Plains and 3 JD don't know about the others-- Like the JD's

Good luck hope this helps Dan

Edited by Dan Loehr 8/14/2016 14:28
DocMartin
Posted 8/14/2016 15:07 (#5468766 - in reply to #5468528)

SW Indiana
If you plan to no-till some or all of the time, a single disc openers machine is the best way to go. CaseIH or Deere are most common in our area. Of those, a JD1590 is most commonly available to purchase & offers the most variety of repair parts.
davpal
Posted 8/14/2016 15:10 (#5468768 - in reply to #5468546)

Mid Michigan
I would go to the Ag show and see what new drills cost and after I had my heart attack I would go find a nice used JD and spend about $15,000 on it and have it the rest of my life. Lots of good drills out there but the used JD's can be a good drill for a lot of years. Take care of it and it will last a long time. Probably a lifetime.

(jd1560 drill (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jd1560 drill (600 x 450).jpg (64KB - 721 downloads)
Hoyt81
Posted 8/14/2016 15:34 (#5468786 - in reply to #5468528)

We are in the market for a drill also....If you are going to the Ag progress days in Pa you may want to look up Esch drills. I am betting they will be there. They have a nice drill for the money and can get a 12' end transport. We rent a JD 1590 to seed wheat into cornstalks and rented a Esch this spring to seed grass. We would like to rent both this fall for wheat to see if the Esch can keep up to the JD in notill corn stalks. I am betting the Esch won't do quit as good of a job through corn stalks but it may not be a noticeable difference.
martin
Posted 8/14/2016 19:37 (#5469146 - in reply to #5468786)

I was just going to mention Esch.  I see they are going to be on W. 6th St.

There was discussion last year on AgTalk regarding Esch drills.

JD1990
Posted 8/14/2016 20:06 (#5469215 - in reply to #5468528)

NE KS
JD 750 or 1590 will last will last a lot longer and be hold its value. Way cheaper long run.
Mtnfarmer
Posted 8/14/2016 21:22 (#5469388 - in reply to #5468528)

North Carolina
You get what you pay for with drills have used the hay busters not impressed with them Don't buy a drill that depends on the weight of the drill on the seed openers to do the notill work of cutting through the residue these have limited depth control adjustments because of this and wear opener disks really fast A drill with a coulter cart in front of it will way extend the life of the drill itself. Great Plains and case ih are really good setup when it comes to this and have good all around seed metering system Look at GP cph 1200 or 1500 can't remember cih numbers but both have coulter carts with hydraulic depth control End wheel drills are decent but why have one that is 12 seeding width and 14 feet transport width not to mention the wheel overlap during actual seeding the Great Plains that I've got really works well it is 12 feet will drill in any condition from cornstalk residue to conventional tillage If I had it to do over again I would get it with the fertilizer box on it too I notill every thing from alfalfa to soybeans and can plant corn on any row spacing even twin row all have to do is put row plugs in seed hopper but don't reccomend planting corn because of so many row units being pulled thru feild doing nothing and still wearing The coulter cart I front of the drill does the heavy work in notill situations putting less work on the drill itself and you can also remove the drill from cart and use it as a three point unit in conventional tillage Also the Great Plains has a pivot system that keeps seeder units int furrow that the coulter cart openers have made when going through curves or around corners of feild Where I live we farm on pretty steep slopes and small Feilds the pivot of the Great Plains is very nice because we have to do alot contour seeding The John deeres are good drills but I have problems with in a contour situation they are better suited for straight line level seeding I think the landoll drill is the same unit as GP but never seen one with cph coulter cart
martin
Posted 8/15/2016 07:02 (#5469811 - in reply to #5469388)
Subject: RE: JD no till drill

"The John deeres are good drills but I have problems with in a contour situation they are better suited for straight line level seeding"

That's a good point about the JD drill. With the way the front and rear disks are staggered, when you get into contour situations, you can lose your row spacing.  The steeper the slope, the more pronounced this effect is.  Staggering the disks helps with trash flow, but this the negative side effect.

zachary193
Posted 8/20/2016 14:33 (#5480143 - in reply to #5468786)

I looked them up they look great I really think there good drills for the money . I like the fold up transport that's awesome .and they are the cheapest to rebuild out of the drills that I have talked to at ag days .hay buster said 1800 esch said 800. 3000 so acres depends on ground
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)