AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AC compressor for air / output / cfm
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

99guy
Posted 8/19/2006 19:20 (#37232)
Subject: AC compressor for air / output / cfm

North Central MO
I have used the York / Tecumseh square air conditioning compressors for air compressors on several service trucks. We are changing around again and I will not be to drive one of these on the new unit. Was considering the possibility of using a 110v unit and inverter. Not sure if that will give me equivalent capacity.

Question is, what would the cfm output have been from my AC compressor units, if I can match that it would be acceptable. Anybody have any idea what the AC compressor would have been producing in cfm???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 8/19/2006 23:07 (#37282 - in reply to #37232)
Subject: Re: AC compressor for air / output / cfm

northeastern Ohio

I believe they put out between 4 and 8 cfm at 100 psi, but it depends on the stroke of the compressor and of course the rpm that you are running it at. Here is a link to an article on how to mount a York: http://www.coloradok5.com/york.shtml

I think it would be easier on the battery to use a 12 volt starter or winch motor to power a compressor than to use a convertor to step the power up to 110v. On my old F350 I had a Oasis 12 volt compressor mounted inside the front bumper. Oasis simply took a York compressor and mated it to a winch. They run around $700, but you could make one yourself for a lot less. Here's a picture:

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 8/19/2006 23:08
Kenny
Posted 8/19/2006 23:25 (#37285 - in reply to #37232)
Subject: RE: AC compressor for air / output / cfm

EC IA
Can't help with your question, hope you don't mind me asking a question. I've heard of other people using
a york AC compressor for an air compressor. What I'm wondering is how you lubricate them ? When they
are used for AC, don't they get lubricated by the oil in the freon mixture? Do you just put some oil in them?
I have a Jeep pickup that has one ,for AC, which I don't use any more. Thought about using it for air, but
it lays down. Do you have to stand them up & put oil in them? TIA
99guy
Posted 8/19/2006 23:48 (#37292 - in reply to #37285)

North Central MO
York style compressor has crankcase lubrication and does not need to rely on oil in the freon. You will want to pull the plug (usually an bolt in the side of the case) and drain old oil ...we then use motor oil we have on hand. I beleive it will work in ist's side just fine, they make swell little compressors, ours will provide enough volume to blow a combine radiator or run 1/2 inch impact.

I use a storage tank and pressure switch wired to the electric clutch.
Franz
Posted 8/19/2006 23:58 (#37298 - in reply to #37292)

Here's a fairly complete discussion of using a York for an onboard air compressor. It covers the different models, and modification necessary to make it a decent air compressor.
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/york_mod/index.asp
countryman
Posted 8/20/2006 04:49 (#37322 - in reply to #37232)

Germany
DonĀ“t these compressors overheat when used continuously? They are designed for interior cooling by the freon, and have no fins.
For short-time use it should be fine.
I used to run a 400V/3phase refrigerator unit in my workshop, it made a lot of air but overheated after a while. Oil blowby was also a problem.
plowboy
Posted 8/20/2006 14:00 (#37417 - in reply to #37282)

Brazilton KS

This is a whole lot less money.

Puma 12v 

KDD
Posted 8/20/2006 16:39 (#37444 - in reply to #37232)

Leesburg, Ohio
We had york compressors on several trucks for several years as air compressors with no problems...the last one was on a '90 Chevy 454. Added a v-belt deep-dish pulley in front of the sepentine pulley on the crank, and welded up a bracket and brace to bolt on the front corner of the engine. Used the P&H bumper for a reserve tank...welded up the holes and welded a sleeve in around the hitch release pin assembly.

I now use a 12 volt powered two-cylinder compressor made by "12 Voltaire" , I think in Nebraska. I don't know if they're still in business...can't find a website, but I can look up a phone no. if anyone wants it. Looks like a starter motor from a diesel engine, and a common heavy cast iron two cylinder compressor, belted together...designed to go in front or behind the wheel well in a pickup bed...we have it one compartment of our service truck. Would still use a york, but no room to mount it under the hood on our current truck. 12Voltaire was about $800!! Ouch!
Ken

Edited by KDD 8/20/2006 16:41
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)