AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Dual Purpose Closing Wheels for Corn Planter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

swampbuster
Posted 1/21/2016 07:46 (#5052374)
Subject: Best Dual Purpose Closing Wheels for Corn Planter

Marshfield, WI
We would like to no-till a couple of fields of corn. This would be into wheat and soybean stubble. Row cleaners up front. Getting the slot closed is my concern. Our soils stay wet and tight until you scratch them in the spring. Strip-till is on the horizon, but not this year. Since most of our ground is field cultivated, what closing wheels can go both ways without switching closing wheels between fields. Thinking about splitting a six row planter with 2 styles. Maybe one side with one rubber wheel and one aggressive style? Soils are moist! Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
8320farmer
Posted 1/21/2016 07:59 (#5052401 - in reply to #5052374)
Subject: RE: Best Dual Purpose Closing Wheels for Corn Planter

East central Indiana
Martin spaders on both sides. Works great. Drag a chain if you want to look like everybody else
ohio474
Posted 1/21/2016 08:03 (#5052414 - in reply to #5052401)

north east ohio in the snow belt Ashtabula co
Dual dawn curve tines also work well . Change the spring .
Puller
Posted 1/21/2016 08:05 (#5052419 - in reply to #5052374)

SCSD
The Pro Stitch Closing wheels will perform very well in any of those field conditions. But We don't recommend pairing them with any other wheel to get the perfect stitching effect. For more info check them out at www.Prostitchag.com
pbutler
Posted 1/21/2016 08:07 (#5052421 - in reply to #5052401)

Macon, IL
May depend on planter/tail-but on my 7000 in worked ground I have had problems with straight spiked wheel messing with seed placement-even throwing them out on top of ground when going more than 2-3mph. That is with 0 pressure other than the weight of wheels.

I have tried about every wheel combination there looking for a good one I could leave on all the time-no-till and conventional and corn and beans. HERE the spiked are hands down the best for No-till corn. But for conventional corn and all beans I go back to plain old rubber press wheels.

I hate changing them-but got a quick change kit from yetter than helps speed it up-can do it in field with cordless impact.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 1/21/2016 08:12 (#5052434 - in reply to #5052374)

For what your wanting I'd be really tempted to try the IH style closing wheel kit from Shoup.
topdollar farm
Posted 1/21/2016 08:15 (#5052443 - in reply to #5052414)

iowa
ohio what did you mean by change the spring? why I ask because im thinking dawn curvintines.
al62
Posted 1/21/2016 08:23 (#5052459 - in reply to #5052374)

Northern WI
Look at the Farm journal and Beck Hybrids studies...some helpful information. We have had good luck with Yetter cast spike wheels and the Martin spaders.
Millhouse
Posted 1/21/2016 08:23 (#5052464 - in reply to #5052443)

South-central Nebraska
topdollar farm - 1/21/2016 08:15

ohio what did you mean by change the spring? why I ask because im thinking dawn curvintines.

Maybe he runs something different in the fall ;)

I have run Dawns for years. My Curvetines are starting to get pretty pointed on the end and I question if they are working as good as new ones. If I were to change I'd look at the Schlagels.
ohio474
Posted 1/21/2016 08:33 (#5052494 - in reply to #5052443)

On a John deere planter there is a lighter spring to install from dawn so you can use them in tilled soil also .
DB Tracks
Posted 1/21/2016 08:36 (#5052502 - in reply to #5052374)

Camp Douglas Wi. 40miles nw of wi. dells
We have heavy red clay to sand in every field here, in 2011 we got new planter, put Dawn GFX row cleaners on, left outside row run one Dawn curvatine and one standard rubber, right outside row run two Dawn curvatines. With the two rows side by side, we evaluated every soil type, ended up in 2012 putting one Dawn curvatine and one standard rubber on each row unit. With one and one all soil types had better emerges than double rubber wheel, but double Dawn curvatines was to agressve and pulled out some seed on the lighter soils , on heavy soils double curvatines worked very good. That's here on our farm. Dan
ohio474
Posted 1/21/2016 08:38 (#5052509 - in reply to #5052459)

Have been using dawns now for 6 years with the lighter spring they show little wear. Easy to change .
Coastal
Posted 1/21/2016 08:44 (#5052522 - in reply to #5052443)

topdollar farm - 1/21/2016 08:15

You use a lighter (half rate) spring for the curvetines as they have less surface area in contact with the ground.
jd-tom
Posted 1/21/2016 09:15 (#5052595 - in reply to #5052374)

SW Minnesota
I put on Furrow Cruiser wheels by Copperhead Ag last spring on my White 8202 planter. I was intending to do a fair amount of no-till last spring but ended up doing less than I had originally planned on. These wheels seemed to do a good job both in the no-till and the tilled fields. We just adjusted the spring pressure on them when switching from no-till to tilled.

But that's what worked for ME in MY FIELDS in SW MINNESOTA. Your idea of trying different ones on half of your planter is a good one - you will need to find which type and combination works best for you. There is NO planter closing wheel system out there that is the best for everyone in all conditions...
mhagny
Posted 1/21/2016 09:28 (#5052621 - in reply to #5052374)

General comment: if you're using 2 spoked closing wheels, you really need a Keeton to do the seed-to-soil contact.

Since they haven't been mentioned yet, I will throw our Thompson wheel into the ring.  I agree with the statement that you should try some different wheel styles on your soil types.  I think you will find that our Thompson wheel performs among the best in true no-till across all soil types for closing action, although it does essentially no seed firming.

https://www.exapta.com/products/thompson-wheels-for-planters/

-- scroll down on this page for a diagram of how the various styles of closing wheels function.

For durability, and staying free of mud and stalks, our T-whl is among the very best.

best regards,

DAN SEWI
Posted 1/21/2016 09:33 (#5052638 - in reply to #5052374)

My vote would be for Schlagel. I have probably 700 acres per row on mine and have only changed one bearing. They also use the same bearing as JD rubber wheels. I have used them from notil beans into corn stalks. Also corn planted notill into bean stubble, spring field cultivated only, fall chiseled then spring field cultivated, spring vertical tillage on bean stubble and fall made strips for strip till. The one thing I would absolutely recommend regardless of what brand you choose is to put the RK products bearing kit on the closing wheel arm. Then you can center the wheels over the row and know that they stay there.
IowaNotiller
Posted 1/21/2016 09:55 (#5052700 - in reply to #5052638)

Iowa
+100 on the Schlagels. Have had them on for 4 years, love the job they do in closing the trench. Have had to replace a couple of bearings but like Dan said, same bearing as the press wheel.
Posted 1/21/2016 10:08 (#5052728 - in reply to #5052700)

W.C. Ohio
Schlagel
jhal
Posted 1/21/2016 10:24 (#5052769 - in reply to #5052638)

WC Iowa
Do you need a seed firmer if you run Schlagels?
DAN SEWI
Posted 1/21/2016 11:23 (#5052901 - in reply to #5052769)

I do not use one. I did for a few years but then I started to see some bunching in the row when I was out sidedressing. I took the seed firmers off and am satisfied with the results. In their defense, I think mine were worn out. A properly tensioned seed firmer may do some good.
Millhouse
Posted 1/21/2016 11:27 (#5052914 - in reply to #5052522)

South-central Nebraska
I've always used the regular JD spring set in the first, lightest notch. Most of my ground is no-till each year, just the occasional tilled field if changing rows etc. Even then, most of the time they perform fine in tilled ground. I have tried in the neutral position but they really bounce then.
lfreehauf
Posted 1/21/2016 12:02 (#5052976 - in reply to #5052638)

Ohio
Varment
Posted 1/21/2016 15:01 (#5053285 - in reply to #5052374)

Ontario's West Coast , Huron County
Lofquist welding is my choice .
kramerb31
Posted 1/21/2016 15:24 (#5053329 - in reply to #5052374)

Humboldt, SD
If you are looking for a spiked wheel that works well in varied conditions, the Furrow Cruiser from Copperhead Ag will be your best bet. The Furrow Cruiser has the width of the rubber tire, to provide depth control so that you can run it in strip or conventional till. The wheel bottoms out and firms the soil nicely around the seed. The angled teeth are aggressive enough to close the furrow in no-till conditions and runs clean thru bean and wheat stubble. With sharp spikes you need to be aware of them wrapping trash or spearing stalks and root balls. The hard UHMW poly is very durable and self cleans nicely in wet soils. Check them out at www.copperheadag.com
KMech
Posted 1/21/2016 17:42 (#5053599 - in reply to #5052374)

Missouri
I haven't seen better performance from a dual purpose closing wheel than the standard rubber tire. There are options that can have improved performance in no-till operation, but what they gain in no-till is often less than they loose in conventional tillage. Spiked closing wheels are especially useless in conventional tillage.

I think the dawn curvetine looks like a promising idea that might improve no till performance, without a substantial reduction in performance in tillage, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one.
Trian2BGreen
Posted 1/21/2016 19:51 (#5053921 - in reply to #5053329)

Western IL.

+1 on the furrow cruiser, I have used them for 3 seasons so far, work great in no till and tillage systems, no special adjustment, except spring tension, when switching fields. Timber soil and clay hills here. showing almost no wear.

runwayacres
Posted 1/21/2016 21:26 (#5054227 - in reply to #5052374)

Marshfield, WI
Darrell, There are three Martin closing wheels collecting dust in a crate in a shed up the road from you if you want to try them this spring
kinzeman
Posted 1/21/2016 22:04 (#5054365 - in reply to #5054227)

West Union IA
I've been running the schlagels about ten years here no-till and worked ground. I run seed firmers also.
Mgdoug3
Posted 1/21/2016 22:16 (#5054393 - in reply to #5053285)

Central-ish KY
+1. I have Schaffert Mohawks but they're the same thing. Had half the planter Schaffert and Copperheads and switching all the wheels to Schaffert. Closed the seed trench better with less spring pressure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)