AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH Little Genius, #60 plow experts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CMCC
Posted 12/27/2015 16:00 (#4990608)
Subject: IH Little Genius, #60 plow experts

West Central Indiana
We have a 1939 Farmall H and a 1952 Super M. I've always wanted an older plow and would like to get one that was made about the same era as the tractors. Looks like the Little Genius plows were made in that time. Thought I wanted a trip plow because I don't have hydraulics on the H. The Super M does have hydraulics. My 86 year old grandpa was telling me there wasn't much good about the good old days with a steel wheel trip plow in slick conditions with rocks. I saw that a # 60 plow has reset bottoms. Are they all hydraulic lift as well? Just curious what plow you guys would recommend to get to plow 1 or 2 gardens a year and to park in the shed with the H and M. Not planning on doing big acreage! If it doesn't work for the garden I may paint it and display it at the entrance to the farm. Thanks for any advice!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Phred
Posted 12/27/2015 16:21 (#4990645 - in reply to #4990608)
Subject: RE: IH Little Genius, #60 plow experts

NE Mo

The Little Genius of that era was on steel, and a trip plow.  When Hy came of age, there was a kit IHC made to convert the Little Genius to Hy.  That made it easier to finish out a land, could change the depth with hy, and not need to reach back to one of the levers.

M would handle a 3 bottom, but an H would only be good on a 2 bottom.

Locally, we thought the Little Genius pulled harder than a JD plow at that time.  Most in our area would agree

Edited by Phred 12/28/2015 04:47
jwal10
Posted 12/27/2015 16:31 (#4990663 - in reply to #4990608)

Western Oregon
# 60 can be trip rope or Hyd. I had a 2 btm #60 hyd for my 52 H, great plow....James
BOGTROTTER
Posted 12/27/2015 16:54 (#4990704 - in reply to #4990663)

Kingston,Mi
I started out with a 2 14 Little Genius with factory rubber tires, it was a trip rope operated plow. I need to scrounge 1 up for her "H". Those non-tripping plows need to have good functioning release hitch and a twist clevis, also will need a clip to hold the trip rope and allow it to release if the plow strikes a rock. I had a John Deere cast iron button that fit in a hole of the steel pan seat, it had a hairpin clip to snap a ring into.
JohnW
Posted 12/27/2015 18:43 (#4990903 - in reply to #4990608)

NW Washington
In the 50's when I was first around pt or trailer plows most had been converted to rubber tires by either replacing the steel wheels or cutting off the spokes and welding on a tire rim. Rope trip plows could get you in trouble in wet or slick conditions because the land wheel would slip and or stop when you tried to trip and raise the plow. My dad always used JI Case plows as did most of our neighbors and we always had a tire chains on the land wheel tire to give it better traction when tripping the plow. I think the Case plows were called Grand Detour or Centennial plows. We had a Little Genius IH plow briefly but it left in favor of a Case plow. Our plows did not have trip beams, but they always had a spring trip hitch and were pulled via a twisted clevis on the tractor. I hit a RR crossing too fast once and the plow hitch jumped out of the clevis and the trip rope attached to the tractor seat tripped the plow on a black top road. I don't think the old man ever knew about that screw-up.
boog
Posted 12/27/2015 19:42 (#4991061 - in reply to #4990608)

IIRC, the 60 plows came out around 55 / 56. A #16 would be more time appropriate for your SM. They were available in either trip or hyd lift versions. There was a hyd lift option made to retrofit the Little Genius plows. First plow I ran was a rope trip 3x14" #16 pulled a '49 M. Iwas probably 8 or 9 at the time & had problems pulling the rope to get the plowed raised in time so my uncle put me on the '54 SM & hyd lift 3x14" #16. I thought I was big time as the tractor had power steering & a landslide dual. At that time it was the only tractor in the area that had duals. I plowed a lot of acres with that tractor until we bought a 450 & a 3x16" # 312 fast hitch plow.

A 60 plow would be eadier to find parts for as they had the Super Chief bottoms that used the one piece share that was used on the latebr IH plows such as the 710 & 720s & are still available. The Little Genius & #16s used the Plow Chief moleboards that had the two piece share that are hard to find. I have a 4hyd 4x16# #60 plow that I bought 4-5 years ago to pull behind my SMTA at plow days but never restored it as it's too big for the tractor. Would like to find a hyd 3x14 #16 or tske a bottom off the #60. Guy that owned the #60 pulled it with a 52 SM but not very deep.

Edited by boog 12/27/2015 19:51
shoop
Posted 12/27/2015 20:26 (#4991222 - in reply to #4990608)

M
A little before my time but what about a #70? I remember dad pulling one with a sm
Charlie SEMN
Posted 12/27/2015 20:36 (#4991260 - in reply to #4990608)

Yes the 60 could be equipped with trip bottoms and hydraulic lift. As mentioned, it is much easier to find parts for the 60 plow as well, although some early ones may have the two piece lays. My brother purchased a 60 a number of years ago to pull behind his Super H. The plow was a 3 bottom, but had the narrow front wheel frame to reduce to a 2 bottom. Pulling 2 x 16s was a pretty good load on the Super H, and would cause some oil leaks, so we instead tend to use either an M or a MTA on the two bottom plow. We also have a 3 x 16s 70 plow, but again, it works the MTA pretty good. 14s would have been better. We aren't trying to get the whole farm plowed this way - so we have evolved to pull the smaller plow with a larger tractor and just enjoy the experience.

DB Tracks
Posted 12/27/2015 21:57 (#4991501 - in reply to #4990608)

Camp Douglas Wi. 40miles nw of wi. dells
I play around with a 42 H and 2~14" Little Genius trip lift rubber tire, 53 SM and 3~14" #60 hydr lift, makes both of them grunt in heavy clay, they do a very good job of plowing. Thought I would get involved in plowing days, just to busy. Dan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)