AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Charles Daly Semi automatic 12 g shotguns any good?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sff
Posted 12/9/2015 23:48 (#4950270)
Subject: Charles Daly Semi automatic 12 g shotguns any good?

I cant even tell you the model for sure, I walked past a used one priced at about 300 bucks somewhere. Cheap enough to try is what I'm thinking. I know nothing about semiautomatic.Got to thinking and wondering if I threw it in a pickup for daily ride as skunker / blackbird deterrent gun if it would work good or if it would be a jamming piece of crap.
What is the NAT experience with something like this? Any good or should I leave it in the store?
I would like to try a autoloader for the above described use. If this gun isn't any good, what would you recommend?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
int800
Posted 12/10/2015 00:23 (#4950288 - in reply to #4950270)
Subject: RE: Charles Daly Semi automatic 12 g shotguns any good?

I got one ten years ago. First gun I owned and love it all my buddies that shoot it love it. Couple things to look out for. U have to shoot decent shells. If u use cheap shells it doesn't cycle well. I use federal and winchester cheap shells and don't have many problems keep a few spare o rings and keep it clean and its a good gun for the price. Every once I a while on the last shell it won't spit the shell out but if your it only on the last shell. All in all for a junk gun is buy one again. Funny thing is a few buddies got an 1187 and an expensive Beretta and they would rather shoot mine
Dutchman
Posted 12/10/2015 05:25 (#4950352 - in reply to #4950288)

West Central Illinois
For what you want to use it for a Remington 870 pump gun is a lot simpler and just as effective.
greenfarmer
Posted 12/10/2015 06:26 (#4950421 - in reply to #4950270)

Central Minnesota
it's a 75-125 dollar gun. 300 is way overpriced for it. They have been known to have issues, (locking block specifically), and are very hard to source parts for them.

For the 300 dollars, i'd go buy a cheap Remington 870, or Mossberg 500. Those would be good cheap guns to let lay in the back of the pickup and bounce around. That Charles daly is one i'd run from. Youd be much happier with the Remington or Mossberg. They will just work. For what you want to do, no need to spend a lot, but you also want a decent reliable gun.

http://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotguns-other-firearms/2235-wh...
BurkFarms
Posted 12/10/2015 06:38 (#4950444 - in reply to #4950421)

East Central Indiana
X2
Go to Walmart and buy a mossburg 500 pump for $270.

I've got a feeling Int800's buddies are just being nice. If they have Beretta auto loaders they wouldn't honestly rather shoot a Charles daly auto.
Not saying it isnt an ok gun for the money but you can count on a mossburg 500 or Remington 870 to fire every time
Mitchco
Posted 12/10/2015 07:25 (#4950542 - in reply to #4950421)

SW OH
+1 Gave $150 for one a few years back. If you put more than 2 shells in the magazine it will not hold back next shell when cycled. Tried different brands/types of shells, no difference.

Mitchco
Vafarmer68
Posted 12/10/2015 10:28 (#4950884 - in reply to #4950270)

The Charles Daly line of shotguns are made by the Turkish firm Akkar. They are relatively nice handling guns but quality and longevity is another issue. I purchased 2 of their 28 ga. compact youth guns for my daughter to shoot skeet with. Glad I bought two because the first one had the ejector fly off, never to be found, and the second lost the button to close the bolt. Both had less than 300 rounds through them. I have since taken the two and made one. Parts are almost non existent and they only have one gunsmith on staff for the whole country. He is also the parts dept. so you could only imagine trying to get a repair done. Save yourself the anguish and add another hundred bucks and find a used Browning A5.
WYDave
Posted 12/10/2015 13:07 (#4951165 - in reply to #4950270)

Wyoming

They're Turk imports. They work, but only barely. I'm not a fan - I put them one step above the ChiCom clones of classic American shotgun designs.

waterpourer
Posted 12/10/2015 13:30 (#4951198 - in reply to #4950270)

Sioux City, IA
In all my years of upland hunting I have never seen a Charles Daly autoloder. I have seen a few old side x side CD, but they have always been nice collector pieces. I will go out on a limb, but I don't think this autoloader comes from the same place as those nice museum pieces I have held in my hands.

I agree with the other posters who recommended lower cost pump guns. The Mossberg works well and I used to own an 870 Express. Another one not mentioned is the model 37 Ithaca featherweight. The last one would be my personal choice. The best thing about these guns is you can drop them in the mud in a snow or rain storm, and they will work. And work well.

One other option: find an old beat up side x side. I have a Stevens double in twelve that I have had since I was young. I bought it off a guy years ago for $25. It's ugly and it's had a half inch sawed off the ends where it must have gotten plugged, then fired and split. It opened the chokes a bit and someone in the past put a brass bead on it. It's the last firearm that I own however that I will ever sell, because the dang thing isn't worth hardly anything. But it works very well and would make a very good shotgun to have rattling around in the bed of a pickup.
int800
Posted 12/10/2015 14:26 (#4951268 - in reply to #4951198)

I'm not denying its a cheap made gun all I'm saying is I like mine and so do my buddies I also agree u can find other guns that are if better quality. I guess I'm lucky to have decent luck with mine
JoBob
Posted 12/10/2015 14:31 (#4951274 - in reply to #4950270)

West Central Wisconsin
Were they black synthetic with dull matte finish on the receiver and white lettered Charles Daly? If so they might be the "field hunter" line and they were imported by KBI? http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/01/30/charles-daly-kbi-gone... They went out of business. The 4-H shooting sports that I was involved in had a couple semi auto "field hunters" and had no major issues with except a broken bolt handle, which they replaced free of charge. A few years later the sear broke off of another and when I called for parts was when I learned they were out of business. Numerich Gun Parts supposedley bought the remaining inventory of parts but did not have what I needed so I peddled the shotgun. These semi autos cost just over $200 in the late 90's. I'd stay away from them IMO. Joe
clevepreach
Posted 12/10/2015 15:52 (#4951367 - in reply to #4950270)

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Don't know where you are located but I have an 870 Express with a slug barrel on it (sorry, don't have the other barrel) that I would part with for less money than that. If you put a modified barrel on it, it would make an excellent "truck gun."

oldbones
Posted 12/10/2015 20:14 (#4951907 - in reply to #4950270)

Floyd County, Iowa
Don't know about a Charles Daly, but will agree to comments on Mossberg 500.
I've got one in 12ga that wife bought me in 1977. I've used it on ducks, geese, deer (slugs), pheasants, vermin, trap shooting, and sporting clays.
Have no idea how many rounds I've put through it, but it would be in the thousands. Never had problems or issues with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)