AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bin auger to portable auger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Douglass ks
Posted 1/18/2015 21:14 (#4321882)
Subject: Bin auger to portable auger

Douglass Kansas
Has anyone ever attached a portable grain auger directly to the auger coming out of a grain bin. In doing this the grain coming out of the bin auger would go directly into the portable auger and you would have no hopper of grain to get wet. The bin auger would be powered by the auger in the portable auger. I would have an 8" bin auger and a 10" portable auger that would be long enough to reach a truck. If anyone knows someone that makes this type of set up, let me know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trent2520
Posted 1/18/2015 21:22 (#4321907 - in reply to #4321882)
Subject: RE: Bin auger to portable auger

Statesville, NC
I haven't done it, but thought about something similar. I thought of using a gearbox on a 30' load out auger with two output shafts, one going up the tube to power the auger, and one going to the intake end with a pto spline on it. Have a small hopper on it that just fits under the incline auger extension on the bin unloader. Connect a pto from the auger gearbox to the shaft on the bin unloader.
Trent2520
Posted 1/18/2015 21:48 (#4322001 - in reply to #4321907)
Subject: Gearbox:

Statesville, NC
I would use a gearbox like this: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Gear-Reducers-Gearb...
It looks like it would bolt right on the Westfield 8x31 auger I had.

Edited by Trent2520 1/18/2015 21:49
4WD
Posted 1/18/2015 21:52 (#4322013 - in reply to #4321882)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Why won't a typical "grain bin incline auger" box work? (see photo = red box)

I think the bigger deal to get the auger's U-joint "centered", so you aren't either pushing down, on horizontal auger; OR lifting, too much, on horizontal auger; while running.

Edited by 4WD 1/18/2015 22:10

(grain bin incline auger.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments grain bin incline auger.png (8KB - 162 downloads)
Kooiker
Posted 1/18/2015 23:01 (#4322199 - in reply to #4322013)

4WD - 1/18/2015 21:52

Why won't a typical "grain bin incline auger" box work? (see photo = red box)

I think the bigger deal to get the auger's U-joint "centered", so you aren't either pushing down, on horizontal auger; OR lifting, too much, on horizontal auger; while running.

I'd think that would work but you'd need to use one that the angle is adjustable (I think NECO has one like this) and it wouldn't really be that "portable", at least not by my definition.

NMO Redpower
Posted 1/18/2015 23:11 (#4322229 - in reply to #4321882)

MO
I've seen people that have had an auger come out of the bin with enough length to get a truck under it. All one auger like you are talking about, the trouble was not nearly enough auger power. The motors would overheat if the even had enough to run at all very full. You'd be better off putting a electric motor on your portable auger.
Dirtpoorfarmer
Posted 1/19/2015 06:47 (#4322412 - in reply to #4322229)

Dad has one. His is an 8 to an 8. Works well for him, clean you just can't run it full bore or you will break shear bolts. An 8 to a 10 would be better. It takes about 10 minutes to get it set up and bolted in place. Sorry no pics.
JDpuller
Posted 1/19/2015 08:51 (#4322695 - in reply to #4321882)

WC Iowa
We've used that same setup for 15 years on a few of our bins. It first started as 8" to 8", then we got a 10" truck auger and a 8 to 10 incline adapter. the truck auger is pto, and one advantage is no hopper and additional elec motor. We have since converted all of our to a 8 to 10 short incline, and then use a hopper. It can be a a pain hooking the auger up to the auger in the bin. Several times we've snapped the end of the truck auger off (it drove the bin auger). Much happier with a hopper.
KDD
Posted 1/19/2015 10:49 (#4322920 - in reply to #4321882)

Leesburg, Ohio
We used to have some bins with the flex box and u-joint, and one motor at the top of a long inclined truck-loading auger driving the whole thing thru the u-joint in the box. We also had several bins with the flex box and a short incline coming up far enough so a portable auger hopper would fit under them. Still have a couple of those. Can't wait to eliminate them.

Trust me when I say you don't want to go that way. We have tried to eliminate the flex boxes for a reason...they leak, they plug easily, they take a lot of power, and it takes three men and a boy to move them from one bin to another.

A straight-out bin unload auger with it's own motor dumping into a portable truck loading auger with its own motor is reliable, never plugs (unless something blocks the intake in the bin floor) and the portable auger is, in fact, portable.

If your under-floor bin unload auger is too low to get a hopper under it, then you should consider a 25 degree Hutch bin unloader. The incline portion has a 2" larger auger in it than the under-bin portion, so it hos no bottleneck like the flex box to cause plugging issues. The u-joint in them is greasable and fairly reliable. We have them extended on a couple bins to direct feed a leg boot, so I suppose they could be extended enough to get a truck under them, but I would never consider that.

(hutchbinunloader.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hutchbinunloader.jpg (20KB - 151 downloads)
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 1/19/2015 13:21 (#4323132 - in reply to #4321882)

Nevada, Iowa
I use the one pictured on page 9 of this pdf. catalog - http://www.hutchinson-mayrath.com/pdfs/Catalog-Sections/Std%20Bin%2... - it works well for me. I can leave it hooked up without worrying about rain and there isn't much spilled between moves. It takes a knack getting hooked up easily but generally doesn't take long. I use it at more remote sites and it eliminates motors on a 25 degree unload and it's an electric drive truck auger so I don't need a tractor there to load out. Mine is eight to eight and it's bolted on a 32" truck auger. Uses a 7 hp motor to run and can load a semi with dry corn in about 15 min. if everything is working well. Not super fast but good for the situation and circumstances.
V&H AG
Posted 1/19/2015 14:54 (#4323228 - in reply to #4323132)

Central, Iowa
The one Dave refers to is the best set up. It has a hanger bearing at the joint to eliminate mis alignment.
Works well for the customers we have set up.
KDD
Posted 1/19/2015 19:35 (#4323702 - in reply to #4323132)

Leesburg, Ohio
You must be talking about loading a straight truck, not a 1000 bu. semi in 15 minutes.? That would be a rate of 4000 bu./hr. Don't think that's possible with an 8" straight auger, certainly not with a u-joint angle box.
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 1/19/2015 21:24 (#4324138 - in reply to #4323702)

Nevada, Iowa
15-18 min. would have been more accurate than "about 15" and we usually load 900 - 925. This angle box is little different from just a u-joint. A piece of special flighting wraps around the u-joint. Eliminates most of the bottleneck created by the joint.
Kooiker
Posted 1/19/2015 22:34 (#4324344 - in reply to #4324138)

Dave Cen.Ia - 1/19/2015 21:24   This angle box is little different from just a u-joint. A piece of special flighting wraps around the u-joint. Eliminates most of the bottleneck created by the joint.

If its properly designed a U joint won't cause any bottleneck.

Most swing away augers have a U joint in the hopper.    If there is proper room around it and enough power turning it, the U joint is not the limiting factor in how much grain the auger will move, the flighting is. 

3000+ bph isn't a problem with a 8" swing away that has a U joint in the hopper.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)