AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Peterbilt,freightliner,kenworth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eastco15
Posted 10/21/2014 10:43 (#4138124)
Subject: Peterbilt,freightliner,kenworth

Needing some trucks for my custom operation I'm doing on the side of the farm looking at several different trucks wondering if I should go cheap and work on these trucks or buy higher quality these trucks will oy run three four months of the year. Our farm run smacks those are also a option
Top of the page Bottom of the page
smartwick08
Posted 10/21/2014 11:20 (#4138158 - in reply to #4138124)
Subject: RE: Peterbilt,freightliner,kenworth

Minot, ND
I'd definitely get a pre-regen with a Cummins/cat and probably rather have highway truck with a million miles compared yo a construction used truck with 500k miles. Engine tranny combo is more important then the brand of truck. Closest dealer support would be more important
4x2188
Posted 10/21/2014 12:37 (#4138213 - in reply to #4138158)

Ns/Tr co. Ks
I'd have a hard time running junk trucks. If they are farm trucks your farm operation is on hold when/if they are broke down.
Petermobilin
Posted 10/21/2014 15:51 (#4138358 - in reply to #4138213)

WC IN
If u want resale buy the paccar trucks u want throw aways buy anything else
Austin
Posted 10/21/2014 15:54 (#4138362 - in reply to #4138124)

Garrett County, MD
Cheap or not they all have to be worked on.

Don't figure a more expensive truck = less downtime.
BShauler
Posted 10/21/2014 15:57 (#4138364 - in reply to #4138213)

North Central Iowa
Peterbuilt and Kenworth are both owned by Paccar corporation. They are quality and a owner operator truck to be owned by a single million mile driver. Frieghtliner are a throw away truck for corporate America. They are not taking care of because they will be rolled out of fleet by 500, 000 miles.
eddiedry
Posted 10/21/2014 15:59 (#4138367 - in reply to #4138358)

Wheatley, Arkansas
Unless you buy a Western Star.
eddiedry
Posted 10/21/2014 16:00 (#4138368 - in reply to #4138362)

Wheatley, Arkansas
Especially if it a newer one! The new ones love their shop time.
Big Ben
Posted 10/21/2014 17:47 (#4138451 - in reply to #4138213)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
4x2188 - 10/21/2014 10:37

I'd have a hard time running junk trucks. If they are farm trucks your farm operation is on hold when/if they are broke down.

The trick to running "junk trucks" is to have a lot of them. If one goes down, yank it out from under the trailer and put a different one in its place. This method doesn't work well if you are sending trucks very far from home.

As to the original question, I like Peterbilts, but they either require a bigger budget or a lot of patience when buying.

Corn Field Cadillac
Posted 10/21/2014 17:56 (#4138463 - in reply to #4138124)
Subject: I'm Biased, as Daimler likes to send me cheques every two weeks...

Center of the Universe, Huron County, Ontario. Can
To each their own,

Proper maintenance on, say a 2006 vintage truck , would trump any perceived original build quality.
No after treatment, only egr.
Me personally,

I have a soft spot for the 2006 Freightliner Coronado

I'd have no trouble backing it under a set of trains and holding my head high,while dropping off my Beans and Corn at the local Co-op.

As my Dad says, " if we were all the same, every body would be after my squaw. ..... :) "

What ever you get, get one that you're proud to drive.
Life's too short to do otherwise, as we've seen on here lately.

Happy Truck Hunting!

Chris

Edited by Corn Field Cadilac 10/21/2014 18:03

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (92KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 167 downloads)
jimgen
Posted 10/21/2014 19:21 (#4138569 - in reply to #4138124)

central mich

We have Pacar trucks two W-900, a 359 and a Freightliner Fld120. All are Michigan specials, with heavy components. The KW and Petes are at least a step above anything else in my opinion. But important for me are aluminum cabs, Ford/Sterling , Western Star, Mack and a lot of IH have steel cabs as far as I know. We did have a IH 4300 with aluminum cab one time. I hate salt and I hate rust.

The KW and Petes are easy to make look good (and we even have the FL looking pretty good). Let bit tough to make most of the others look proud.
8320farmer
Posted 10/21/2014 20:21 (#4138727 - in reply to #4138124)

East central Indiana
More money doesn't always mean better. Buy from reputable known dealers that will stand with the truck. The most expensive truck we've ever owned has cost us the most in repairs. New motor tranny clutch tires and now paint. The cheapest truck we've ever bought a 02 ih 9100 daycab paid 6500 for it done nothing but a hog head and maintain it. Its also got 980000 miles on it. It gets about 10k miles a year. The other truck gets the same and has 600k miles on it Its all about where you buy it. International has been good to us. Paccars nice if you got deep pockets. Those trucks usually cost more and parts are more. They look nice. But I like my IH trucks.
Lone Wolf Picker
Posted 10/21/2014 22:11 (#4139048 - in reply to #4138727)

Black Hawk County, IA
Me too. J
KDD
Posted 10/22/2014 08:54 (#4139616 - in reply to #4138727)

Leesburg, Ohio
I agree that the Paccars sometimes cost more. And they all break down occasionally, new or not.

I have been pleasantly surprised regarding the cost of parts for the Peterbilts we run. Most parts are very reasonable, and we have found our local (Cincinnati) Pete dealer to be the lowest price on parts of anywhere we have checked. And they deliver to our door daily by 1:30 if we call an order in by 10am.

We used to run several Macks, and they are tough trucks. Maybe fewer repairs than the Petes. But the cost of parts for Macks are definitely higher. And in my opinion, the quality of the Macks have gone down in the newer models, as compared to the old R's.
GM Guy
Posted 10/22/2014 12:32 (#4139839 - in reply to #4138124)

NW KS/ SC ID
I personally have a soft spot for Peterbilt Cabovers. IMO, they are the best cabover built, the cabs just flat hold up. They are built in an era where quality was #1.

IMO even the new Pete's are kind of a POS compared to the older ones.

I like a classy looking truck, so I would rather drive a older Pete or KW than a newer other brand.

A guy I work for part time has close to 10 older Kenworths. 1967-1979, all but 2 cabovers are all the round headlight W900A. They all haul just as good if not better than the newer ones. Any issues are just minor, this year we had 1 blown tire and one air line let go. the one year we nursed a leaking radiator on the one truck, and had a clogged vent line on the fuel tank that ran the one out of fuel.

We were trucking to town no issue while his BIL had one of his mid to late 90s Peterbilts in the shop for ECM trouble on the Cat. the BIL had to jam gears in his old late 70s early 80s GMC Astro while the Pete was down.

With ours or the guy I work for, I doubt any one truck gets more than 10K per year, so that makes a little difference if you are a 1 truck show.

IMO, if you are after a newer truck that is well built, but cant afford Pete or KW, I would look hard at a Western Star. WS is the premium division of Freightliner, and its pretty well ran with a hands off approach, FL pretty well lets WS do as they please. there are many nice Western Star's out there for some really good prices.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)