AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Generic Roundup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jholland
Posted 5/29/2014 19:56 (#3892563)
Subject: Generic Roundup

middle ga
I sprayed Roundup on bahia grass regrowth on Mon. am at the recommended rate (quart@ acre) plus some AMS ( pint@ acre) and have had three days of high 80 low 90
degree temps. So far nothing has happened not even a yellowing of the grass. I used fan tip nozzles (8002E at 30 psi) and 10 gal water @ acre. Is generic r/u as good as the name brand?
The co op guy said it would smoke it. Do I ask for a refund or wait to see what happens. I would think at three days with the temps I have had I should be seeing something. Have a good stand of beans now need to clean them up.

JHolland
MiddleGa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vox populi
Posted 5/29/2014 20:04 (#3892585 - in reply to #3892563)
Subject: RE: Generic Roundup

Central Illinois
I'd give it some more time. The grass has probably stopped growing but it takes awhile, maybe a week before I usually see it turning brown.
BLS
Posted 5/29/2014 20:20 (#3892603 - in reply to #3892563)

Illinois
Give it more time.
Drbrown
Posted 5/29/2014 20:58 (#3892667 - in reply to #3892563)

Hopkinsville, KY
Got a buddy that works in the Alabama glyphosate plant. He says they make it then package it. Some say round up some say clear out, some say gly 4 plus. In reality it's all the same. The only difference is Monsanto backs theirs
pupdaddy12003
Posted 5/29/2014 21:06 (#3892683 - in reply to #3892563)

NW Central Ohio
...you didn't say how much "regrowth" there was to the bahiagrass. If you didn't have a good 6-10 inches of leaf...I think you may be looking for some more chemicals. In reality, if you see yellowing before 7 days...you've had some really warm weather.
Takes maybe 2 weeks to get a "brown" look to a field with straight glyphosate. Now if you add some things like Sharpen, Metribuzin...and some MSO....it will look brown in 3 days.
Booman41
Posted 5/30/2014 07:21 (#3893167 - in reply to #3892563)

Davidson County NC
It's worth waiting a couple more days to see what happens, generics always seem to be slower for me. Most of the time it will take 7-8 days before any brown will show up. Is this the Buccaneer plus generic? I always had the worst luck with Buccaneer Plus for some reason, one year I sprayed it and I had to respray a couple fields because it didn't get a good kill. It was missing grasses and broadleafs. I finally just started adding extra to the tank to eliminate missing anything. Since I switched to Powermax I haven't had a problem killing everything in the first pass. Powermax also seems to work faster for me, usually see brown in 4 days. I know the generics are supposed to be the same but for some reason I've had problems with some of them and they usually work slower.
olivetroad
Posted 5/30/2014 07:32 (#3893188 - in reply to #3893167)

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
I have had the same problem with Buccaneer.

I bought some generic stuff at the local Orschlens farm store made by Drexel and that stuff works a lot better. Yellows in fewer days and I get a better kill. $44.99 for 41% in a 2.5 gal jug.

Of course I went back in to get more this week and they no longer carry it.
jd_4_life
Posted 5/30/2014 07:34 (#3893193 - in reply to #3892667)

South Dakota

i wouldnt believe that for one min. their is a color difference, and a weight difference per gal. 

ACobb4020
Posted 5/30/2014 07:37 (#3893196 - in reply to #3893167)

North Central, NC
Ive had no problem using the buccaneer plus. Been using it several years now. I will say that since I started using AMS in the mix that Ive noticed a major difference in effectiveness from a lesser rate. Ive always tended to lean towards the higher end of the labeled rate if the weeds are borderline on the height and havent had any problems. If I have 3 or 4 days in the ,mid to upper 80s like recently, I usually can see wilting/yellowing within 3 days. With cool temps its gonna take a while for the plant to translocate the herbicide, I dont care what kind you use. Most I know of around here that dont get a good kill try to see how little they can get by with. Typical of most of the farmers around here though. Been behind a few of them over the years now and they definitely apply the same mentality to the use of fertlizer too
wkoleary
Posted 5/30/2014 08:24 (#3893248 - in reply to #3893193)

Danvers mn
Plant doesnt know the difference between P salt(monsanto)new patent) and I salt(generic)old patent. There are differences in surfactants(amounts-quantity). SHOULD put MORE surfactant in ALL gly's including monsanto. Producers need to read real data (universities)not some bs from the name brand chem boys. bill
Drbrown
Posted 5/30/2014 10:00 (#3893336 - in reply to #3893193)

Hopkinsville, KY
There are several plants across the world. That accounts difference between surfactants or color. It also accounts different salts.
AGB
Posted 5/30/2014 18:03 (#3893792 - in reply to #3892563)

Mid-Michigan
I use some stuff called Durango. I think it is Dow. Seems to be just as good.
Outdoor Dave
Posted 5/30/2014 22:39 (#3894299 - in reply to #3892667)
Subject: Generics vs weathermax

SE Nebraska
Most generics are I salt, and have little to no surfactant. If they have any, it is veg oil, not NIS. Give it 10 days. At that temp weeds are shutting down. They need to be actively growing for Gly to work.
lincmercguy
Posted 5/31/2014 00:00 (#3894390 - in reply to #3892563)

CO, NE
I use a gly, 2,4-D mix on summer fallow. Usually it takes about a week and a little moisture to see an effect. I do notice that what I spray stops growing further soon after application, but doesn't start yellowing for about a week.

I use generic, but have never used the name brand, so I don't have a comparison. I'm assuming you mixed the AMS before adding the gly? Even if you didn't, that rate would still probably work depending on water hardness.

For full disclosure, I am a novice when it comes to herbicides. (and well about everything else farming related except mechanical and electrical).

Edited by lincmercguy 5/31/2014 00:00
wkoleary
Posted 5/31/2014 17:58 (#3895316 - in reply to #3894299)
Subject: RE: Generics vs weathermax

Danvers mn
Where did you dream this misinformation up? Vegtable oil? No surfactant? If you dont know your facts about gly contents keep your thoughts to yourself. bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)