AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Box Scraper with Tilt
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

JAR
Posted 8/10/2013 21:15 (#3260110)
Subject: Box Scraper with Tilt

Madision County, IL
What have you done to make sure the box blade is level from side to side when putting a flat bottom in a waterway? Do you know if there is a product available that will keep it level automatically?

TIA,

Jay
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gpsdude
Posted 8/11/2013 16:15 (#3261250 - in reply to #3260110)
Subject: Re: Box Scraper with Tilt

NE South Dakota Clark, SD
you could put independant axles on the back or buy a 6 way that will tilt.
mx270a
Posted 8/11/2013 18:32 (#3261448 - in reply to #3260110)
Subject: RE: Box Scraper with Tilt

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
We have a few of these systems running in California this year, leveling ground for flood irrigation using a pair of NovAtel GNSS receivers and AGPS. One receiver does RTK like normal, controlled by AGPS to a desired elevation. The hydraulic cylinder it controls only runs one side of the blade. The second receiver does relative positioning (called NovAtel ALIGN - same accuracy as RTK but cheaper) and outputs heading and pitch relative to the first receiver. We have a micro-controller that reads that pitch data from the second GNSS receiver and drives a hydraulic circuit up or down to maintain 0 degrees of pitch between the two receivers.

Inertial based tilt sensors use gravity to determine what direction is down, but accelerometers can't correctly read gravity while turning. By going to a GPS based solution, the result is that it will keep the blade level regardless of your speed or if you're turning.

-Lance

(box1.jpg)

(box2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments box1.jpg (55KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments box2.JPG (84KB - 115 downloads)
mattey999
Posted 8/11/2013 20:53 (#3261810 - in reply to #3260110)

Ohio
Just thinking out loud here. Liebrecht tile plows have a side tilt compensator, not sure what it consists of but you may be able to rig something like that up.
JohnG
Posted 8/12/2013 09:56 (#3262678 - in reply to #3260110)

W. Illinois
I ran across this site a month or so ago.

http://www.laserprecisiongps.com/Home/Scraper

The video of the water running over the fresh cut waterway... is impressive.

I believe that these guys set up the above system. http://www.midtechservices.com/Default.aspx If there is a simpler way to go about it I'd like to know about it too. The comment above about the Liebrect tile plow is interesting... something to investigate.

JAR
Posted 8/12/2013 20:00 (#3263730 - in reply to #3260110)

Madision County, IL
I wonder how a paradyme (dual antennas) would work in this situation?

Should be pretty straight forwad.

Jay
Fleck21
Posted 8/12/2013 21:57 (#3264136 - in reply to #3263730)

Rochester, IL
any way you look at it you will have to have some sort of device controlling each lift/lowering cylinder independently. so you have to have controls over both lifting cylinders. I like the idea lance has there. looks good. trimble has the dual scraper control, but that requires two gps receivers on each end and controlling both wheels on each end of the blade. I believe topcon has a dozer control system now that works off one gps receiver and a very accurate high grade gyro of some sort. but i'm sure that would be outrageously expensive!
mx270a
Posted 8/12/2013 22:17 (#3264195 - in reply to #3263730)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
While the Paradyme does have dual antennas, and thus can measure and output tilt, I don't think it would work as well as you want for this application. The accuracy of the pitch data between two GNSS antennas will increase as they get further apart. I think if you tried to use a Paradyme to keep a blade level, you would probably only be able to get a 20' blade within a couple inches of level from one side to another. Even a fraction of a degree of tilt can add up pretty quick on a wide blade.
daveb
Posted 8/13/2013 14:04 (#3265256 - in reply to #3260110)

Fargo, ND
There is a product called a LevelMaster that will control a valve to level the scraper or a tile plow. You can adjust it to whatever cross slope you want. It's manufactured by Latec in Ontario and sold by many of the laser resellers in the states. List price was $3,500 last time I checked. They will run a PWM proportional valve or a Danfoss. They work.

If you just want an indicator display there are laser receivers that will show tilt on the display such as the Trimble/Apache LR50 for $1895. They have a wireless cab display too.
bioguy207
Posted 8/14/2013 12:11 (#3267155 - in reply to #3265256)

Alburgh, VT
Great idea! I have a LevelMaster II valve control kicking around I would like to try. The unit was developed for graders and dozers with a narrower blade though. It will correct the pitch to .1% slope. It will adjust to any cross slope you want and flip it with the push of a button. It may be a good use of older technology.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)