AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jcb fastrac tractor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

H farmall
Posted 7/25/2013 22:13 (#3229659)
Subject: jcb fastrac tractor

mn
Thinking of getting a fast trac jcb tractor to put on the feeder wagon. I feed on three different places so cover about 8 miles a day. I have heard these tractors go forty miles a hour down the road, is this true? I think they also have a air ride cab which would be great. Does any body have any experience with these units, and if so what are the good and bad points to them? Thanks for any input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dragon
Posted 7/25/2013 22:36 (#3229719 - in reply to #3229659)
Subject: Re: jcb fastrac tractor

Waupun,wi
We had 8250'smaybe and was never so happy to see them hit the road. Serviceability was a joke!!! Changing oil, fuel fiter, etc. Stairs are straight up and down so pain to get in and out. Cab is super wide but short. Not good for tall guys. Cant see drawbar when top deck weight is on. When plugging hydraulics in you were normally in and out of cab multiple times to get them to stay in cause they would pop out. Very wide turning radius. Air conditioning system is a joke. Lots of hot days spent in them tractors. Parts were crazy expensive!!For us there was alot more cons than pros. Tractors did ride very very nice and handled real nice on the road.
durallymax
Posted 7/25/2013 22:59 (#3229770 - in reply to #3229659)

Wi
x2 every thing he said. I ran some of their used ones as loaners while our agco was down. Blew the main drivehsaft apart on one.

They go great down the road outside of that they make a poor tractor.
A Fendt would make you much happier even with only a 33mph top speed.

Have you considered going to a truck mount box?
deere6810
Posted 7/26/2013 06:02 (#3229937 - in reply to #3229770)

some of the agco or deere cvt would probably be a better choice.
MikeInFrance
Posted 7/26/2013 06:20 (#3229966 - in reply to #3229937)

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
I have somehow difficulties understanding the need for ever increasing roading speeds on AG machinery: an AG machinery is built for being used in the field! Just consider the safety aspect, and think of the footprint on the road if you have to do an emergency stop: do you think your kids would be safe in front of such a vehicle speeding at 40mpH especially with implements attached and pushing?
Think of it twice!
If you have a lot of road to do, use a vehicle made for road traffic....
Just my 2 cents.
dairyman78
Posted 7/26/2013 06:40 (#3229992 - in reply to #3229770)

S.C. Wisconsin
duallymax I thought maybe you would recommend a Massey! Ha.
canadian farmer
Posted 7/26/2013 06:43 (#3229997 - in reply to #3229937)

An 8250 has a Fendt CVT in it.  An 8310 has a Fendt CVT and a Sisu engine.

deere6810
Posted 7/26/2013 06:54 (#3230012 - in reply to #3229966)
Subject: Re: jcb fastrac tractor Mikeinfrance?

what are the speed of your tractors?
dragon
Posted 7/26/2013 08:15 (#3230188 - in reply to #3229659)

Waupun,wi
U may think that cause it goes fast it is more dangerous but i disagree. The jcb was easier to handle at 42 miles per hour than a 305 at 25 mph. Our manure tankers and silage trailers are equipped with airbrakes whick i think is pretty hard to beat for stopping. As for using a vehicle that is designed for road use more and more of the ag transport equipmemt is designed for road and field use.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/26/2013 08:22 (#3230204 - in reply to #3229659)

Southern Alberta Canada
We had a 3185 until a kid burnt it up last winter and we still have a 3220. They are fast machines and ride like a dream. They are a one operator tractor. The 3185 had multiple operators and was in the shop constantly, the 3220 had one operator for six years up until last week. Here's a few things to consider... Very light wiring and lots of wires. They will start to burn up after a few thousand hours. They have twenty lights and eight light switches that are hooked to battery, you will have dead batteries a few times before you remember to check your light switches. 54 forward speeds consisting of a combination of air shift, manual syncronized transmission and powershift, very confusing until you have it figured out and takes some maintainence, it gets very hot under the cab and the air lines get crispy after awhile, power wires for powershift on manual gearshift break off from constant flexing. They seem to be very hard on brake pads, they wear uneven and catch you by surprise, then you windup replacing the disk at $700. The park brake is an accident waiting to happen, they had both tractors on fire because of driving with it engaged. I'm sure that was what caused the 3185 disaster. Why the park brake is not interlocked with the transmission controls is so far beyond me... JCB should get sued over this.
The English think completely different then anyone else on earth, they write their parts and service manuals totally different then anybody else, it takes awhile to figure that out and then it seems no ody in North America havea clue how to fix these things or even how to get the information to fix them. And as stated above parts are hard to get and prohibitively expensive. If you are in a hurry they will be happy to tack on twenty percent and have your parts possibly within a week... JCB does not give a damn...
durallymax
Posted 7/26/2013 08:23 (#3230205 - in reply to #3229966)

Wi

MikeInFrance - 7/26/2013 05:20 I have somehow difficulties understanding the need for ever increasing roading speeds on AG machinery: an AG machinery is built for being used in the field! Just consider the safety aspect, and think of the footprint on the road if you have to do an emergency stop: do you think your kids would be safe in front of such a vehicle speeding at 40mpH especially with implements attached and pushing? Think of it twice! If you have a lot of road to do, use a vehicle made for road traffic.... Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like you have never driven a Fendt or JCB. I'd feel much safer  if my kid was in front of one of those than any other older tractors. Your name suggests your from Europe which seems odd on this topic.

Along with high speed comes the need for safety. Both JCB and Fendt have ABS. Both also have elaborate suspension systems as well as air brakes.  I do not know as much about the JCBs, but the Fendts have dual circuit braking which splits the front and rear braking of the tractor, they also have a pump mounted to the axle to ensure you always have steering even with engine failure. IIRC JCB uses a steering system similar to a car/truck so that there is a mechanical link. Fendt also has stability control as well.  

For constant road travel its important to select the proper trailers. Many offer air brakes that can be tied into the tractor. The stopping distances on these are remarkable.  

Road travel with tractors is becoming a necessity especially in the dairy industry. Most newer implements and tractors designed to sit on the road a lot are narrow and have added safety features.

This video shows the stopping power.

Fendt Stopping

Edited by durallymax 7/26/2013 08:27
lemchop
Posted 7/26/2013 08:25 (#3230209 - in reply to #3230188)

Waupun, WI
Have to chime in the JCB,s would stop faster than your other tractors going slower with thier braking system, Had a car pull out as I was going thrpugh town at 30 miles a hour I think she thought I was turning right because of flashers I nailed the brakes and easily missed her by a few feet but a regular tractor would have been a different story.
durallymax
Posted 7/26/2013 08:30 (#3230220 - in reply to #3230209)

Wi

lemchop - 7/26/2013 07:25 Have to chime in the JCB,s would stop faster than your other tractors going slower with thier braking system, Had a car pull out as I was going thrpugh town at 30 miles a hour I think she thought I was turning right because of flashers I nailed the brakes and easily missed her by a few feet but a regular tractor would have been a different story.

I don't think people realize the stopping power of the brakes combined with ABS on both Fendt and JCBs. You have to drive them to really know. 

pbutler
Posted 7/26/2013 15:49 (#3230839 - in reply to #3230209)

Macon, IL
>>I think she thought I was turning right because of flashers <<

I see that a LOT.

I have stopped using flashers when going through urban areas. On some equipment they only see one side and assume it is a turn signal.
durallymax
Posted 7/26/2013 17:24 (#3230948 - in reply to #3230839)

Wi

pbutler - 7/26/2013 14:49 >>I think she thought I was turning right because of flashers << I see that a LOT. I have stopped using flashers when going through urban areas. On some equipment they only see one side and assume it is a turn signal.

I've been working on transistioning our main road equipment to strobes in place of the flashers.  Most strobe boxes will allow the flashers to still work meaning they cancel the strobe feature and operate as normal turn signals when you activate a signal.

Personally I am very surprised ag equipment gets away with the minimal conspicuity regulations they have. Its tough to see them enough times.  I say it all the time but I feel that if a Garbage truck in an urban area in broad daylight needs to be lit up like the 4th of July, we need to do something more than two blinking lights.

I like more random strobe patterns as well, they catch peoples eyes more.  Not sure what they call the pattern but the one that goes

left..........right..,........left........right........left......right......left....right....left..right..left..right.left.rightleftrightleftrightleftrighboth...both...both   repeat. 

jdmad
Posted 7/27/2013 01:47 (#3231650 - in reply to #3230204)

Queensland
We have a 3190 fastrac and as said before, awesome road high speed tractor which is what we brought it for but very ordinary paddock tractor. very poor visability for any kind of row crop work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)