AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/3/2013 20:51 (#3011396)
Subject: Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?

Southeast Colorado
This is probably a better post for the machinery forum but I know you folks over here better. I bought this air seeder today on Auction time.com. The farmer/dealer I bought it from sent me wiring instructions immediately following the auction. Having never used Auction time I thought maybe I would call them and find out what kind of guarantee I would get from them that this is a legit deal. They stated basically that they were only the means to hook up the buyer and seller and that I should only pay them at my own risk. They say this company has done a lot of business with them and have always been good but I'm obviously a little nervous. Heck...........even good companies sometimes go broke (MF Global, Enron). I really don't have any reason to suspect this dealer of doing anything dubious............I just question my own business common sense of wiring someone that much money with nothing but their word that I will be made whole. The company name is Clayton Farms and Equipment. The drill is in Illinois but they evidently at least operate from both there and Tenesee. Have any of you guys done business with them and can help ease my mind on this matter?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
emtbd1979
Posted 4/3/2013 20:59 (#3011436 - in reply to #3011396)
Subject: Re: Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?

west central illinois
Where in Illinois is the air seeder?

Edited by emtbd1979 4/3/2013 20:59
northmofarm
Posted 4/3/2013 21:05 (#3011455 - in reply to #3011396)
Subject: Re: Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?

Something for under 10k maybe, but that's a chunk of change. I'd have my banker check for Liens and make a call to the guys banker where your wiring the money too first and get his feeling on it. I always borrow a little money on a deal like that then I know my bank will do everything they need to do before the money is sent. I can get stiffed for 10k and learn my lesson, but 60k would hurt.
tmrand
Posted 4/3/2013 21:12 (#3011483 - in reply to #3011436)

Southeast Colorado
Not sure on exact location. I'll find out tomorrow.
nelson_farms
Posted 4/3/2013 21:22 (#3011524 - in reply to #3011396)

I would not wire the full amount if you are going to pick it up soon. Maybe a $500 down payment with the rest to follow upon pick up but definately not the whole amount. If he is wanting the money ASAP, maybe check with a local attorney in his area and write a check to their trust account. That way he could see that you had the money and you knew that he couldn't fly the coup. I'd hate to get up there and find out my drill was gone or worse yet it never existed.
HCMICH
Posted 4/3/2013 21:28 (#3011554 - in reply to #3011455)

If it's a dealership I would not be concerned. I wired 150K this fall from Mich. to Iowa to a John Deere dealerships bank with no issues. This is done that way on a daily basis, however, being a "jockey" or independent farmer I would be more concerned. I would have your bank contact their bank with a few questions just to be sure. Any honest person would have no problem with you having that done.
OHKen
Posted 4/3/2013 21:29 (#3011557 - in reply to #3011396)

Ohio
You can contact your bank and authorize the wire , when you are getting ready to load the unit.
maxflex540
Posted 4/3/2013 21:30 (#3011563 - in reply to #3011524)

NW Iowa
Few years ago I was the seller in a deal like this. Sold 2 combines to a Ukranian farmer through an intermediary. I communicated only with the intermediary, no one ever came to physically look at the combines in my shed. I was wired the full amount and about 3 weeks later, some hired trucks rolled in and loaded it.

I was surprised no one ever came to see them. But they trusted me and I didn't screw them. FWIW.

coochief
Posted 4/3/2013 21:32 (#3011574 - in reply to #3011396)
Subject: RE: Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?

SE MT

I have bought an item around 5500 from AuctionTime no problem but with an item of this nature.   I would maybe suggest using an independant:
          escrow agent n. a person or entity holding documents and funds in a transfer of real property, acting for both parties pursuant to instructions. Typically the agent is a person (commonly an attorney), escrow company or title company, depending on local practice.

I'm sure there will be a small fee involved and Auction Time might tell you that is what they are, but they have a vested interest.  Therefore, I would do a google search and find an escrow company and give them a call in the AM.    This is real common when buying/selling Aircraft. 

Goodluck!  Badger might chime in on this he has been in a few rodeo's.... lol

caseihfarmer
Posted 4/3/2013 21:47 (#3011619 - in reply to #3011524)

East Central, Nebraska
I would agree with you about doing your homework but unfortunately life doesn't move that slow anymore.
zmracing
Posted 4/3/2013 21:56 (#3011633 - in reply to #3011396)
Subject: RE: Bought equipment on Auctiontime.com, would you wire $60k to a farmer/dealer 700 miles away?

west central MN

I bought a 2 year old bean head on there last year that the dealer told me was in good shape before the auction was over. After the auction I found out that the snow had bent the real down and it needed a whole new real. The dealership was willing to cancel the bid but I had not paid them and was going to give them a cashiers check when I got there. I would talk to the dealership and see if you can bring a cashiers check when you pick it up.

djmcountryboy
Posted 4/3/2013 23:03 (#3011791 - in reply to #3011633)
Subject: TMRAND

Mascoutah, Illinois
Did you do any checking of the company with the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General's Office? I live in Illinois and I will see if my brother has any contacts or knows anything about this company once you get the location. EMAIL is good in profile.

EDIT: I would send a very small down payment to hold the equipment like stated by a previous poster. I would have a cashier's check for the remaining amount once I loaded the equipment. This way, you have given this party a legitimate piece of paper and you have piece of mind also. I would be more than a bit nervous sending sixty thousand to someone without seeing what I was leaving with.

Edited by djmcountryboy 4/3/2013 23:07
brownaugj
Posted 4/3/2013 23:07 (#3011801 - in reply to #3011396)

IL
I know the seller of the air seeder he is a machinery jock. He moves a lot of equipment, if you bought it will be there. I seen the seeder a few months ago when I was in the area, but didn’t look it over. I am good friends with his brother. No need to worry. Call with questions 309-368-2094
tmrand
Posted 4/3/2013 23:08 (#3011803 - in reply to #3011801)

Southeast Colorado
Thanks
Ranchhand
Posted 4/3/2013 23:10 (#3011808 - in reply to #3011396)

West KY, Miss River County
The big city of Finger Tn is south of Jackson TN just east of US HY 45. Google them. They have a fair amount of activity on Tractor House. There's more there than just one sale.
Posted 4/4/2013 06:43 (#3012020 - in reply to #3011396)

The thing is that when you bid on the item. #1 !!!! You agreed to the terms. This covers the sellers A$$. No checks because of the fraud. Items in auction time have a 3-4 week listing period. That is the time to look. If there is something significant not described be sure to take it up with the seller. If you find an opener bearing out and one tire flat......move on and load it up.
drylndr
Posted 4/4/2013 07:36 (#3012112 - in reply to #3012020)

sw fo co ks
+1 you agreed to the terms when you bid, you fail to meet those payment terms, now you are the one who is fraudulent.
Sswany
Posted 4/4/2013 07:44 (#3012131 - in reply to #3012112)

NEIL
+3. That is the condition you agree to when you submit a bid. If that seems unreasonable there are plenty of other way to acquire equipment
rab1964
Posted 4/4/2013 08:04 (#3012177 - in reply to #3012020)

Never buy anything you cannot look at, plain and simple. I have been lied to, pictures are VERY deceiving. MO.
tmrand
Posted 4/4/2013 08:45 (#3012282 - in reply to #3011396)

Southeast Colorado
For you folks that think I'm trying to back out your wrong. I will take the drill in whatever condition it comes. However...........since I learned that AuctionTime does not give any type of guarantee, and that they say terms are strictly between the buyer and seller, I was just asking folks here there thoughts on wiring that much money with no guarantee from anyone other than the seller that I will get my item.
starvation
Posted 4/4/2013 18:49 (#3013103 - in reply to #3012282)

mn
#1 it was listed for wks before the auction, so you could have or should have had someone look at it. #2 the terms of payment was written at bottom of listing, so you know it going in. #3 A T is a good online auction and has rep all over the country. I have bought and sold on A T with no problems what so ever. #4 if the wired money thing bothers ya get 60k in cash and drive over and hand it to em. #5 if your worried 'bout this wait till ya find out what truck'n it will cost, :) just saying do it it will be fine.
tmrand
Posted 4/4/2013 21:44 (#3013696 - in reply to #3013103)

Southeast Colorado
We had a quote on the shipping before I bid. The seller and I came to agreeable terms with the help of my bank today.
Hehargrave09
Posted 6/24/2016 05:54 (#5372805 - in reply to #3011396)

Buyers Beware of Auctiontime!!!!!!!

I have bought and sold equipment with every major auction company. With Auctiontime there is no accountability for the seller or Auctiontime. I have had ok experiences until my last one. I purchased an item recently on Auctiontime.com and when it arrived it was completely different from what it was described at on the website. I called the seller and they said they were sorry they sent the wrong item but there was nothing they could do. I called Auctiontime and they said there was nothing they could do. So this means I can list a 2015 Deere 8245R with them with 200 hours and when you show up to get it I can give you a 2005 8120 Deere with 10k hours and neither the seller or Auctiontime have to stand behind it unless you start suing them. The staff at Auctiontime is very arrogant and not helpful.

I'm not a bad review kind of person, but people need to understand this is a VERY dangerous auction platform. I would recommend Big Iron, Purple Wave, Iron Planet, Ritchie Brothers or your local sales. Hopefully Auctiontime will start to be more interested in serving the buyer as equal to the seller.
tmrand
Posted 6/24/2016 10:21 (#5373305 - in reply to #5372805)

Southeast Colorado
Is that the actual items you speak of above or are you just giving an extreme example? I would think a lawsuit would be in order and you will win if that is the case. By the way............my issue above back in 2013 worked out fine and I still use that drill today.
john.305
Posted 11/24/2016 21:26 (#5655535 - in reply to #5373305)

Central Iowa
I would assume that Hehargrave09's comment is extreme. Since #1, that is his 1 and only post in the 2+ years he's been a member of the site. If he had serious issues like that, yes a lawsuit would definitely be in line. I think he's someone that is trying to get people to email him and for him to push the other companies, such as Big Iron, since that was his first company he listed! I've looked into several sites myself. The big reason why I would use AuctionTime to sell anything is the fact that they do have a weekly publication that comes out and I know several people that go to the local Casey's just to get a copy to look through. Plus, honestly, I've met with a local district manager of Big Iron and as hard as he was pushing me to sell equipment with them, I've come to find out that he was let go for "questionable" practices. I know this original post is several months old now, but felt I needed to put my 2 cents in for what it's worth! Have a good day!
tmrand
Posted 11/25/2016 08:17 (#5656020 - in reply to #5655535)

Southeast Colorado
Just letting you know I read your comment. Good thing this keeps popping up on "my active threads". This thread just keeps rising from the dead!
Kokomine
Posted 11/15/2018 23:25 (#7108412 - in reply to #3011396)

Can anyone give a good recommendations, I need a truck mover to help move just the head of a freight liner from Newyork to Texas. Thank you in advance
tmrand
Posted 11/16/2018 07:23 (#7108688 - in reply to #7108412)

Southeast Colorado
Go check on the "Where can I find?" forum. There have been a couple of posts in the last couple of weeks of folks looking for trucking along with a few suggestions. Also a couple of people advertise at times in the Classifieds on this forum.
spjr22
Posted 12/6/2018 06:31 (#7152297 - in reply to #7108688)

Do any of you guys sell consignment on AT? I have Dealer access and was approached by AT to sell consignment. I'm very interested but there are too many what ifs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)