AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dozer blades on tractors, worth it or not?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 12/19/2007 21:33 (#264273)
Subject: Dozer blades on tractors, worth it or not?

SW KS, near Dodge City
As we set here after a 10" snow and no front blades on anything to move it, is a front blade on a tractor worth it or not?

Got a 9230 C-IH that I've wished to have a front blade on before, but never really could justify one. Probably still couldn't, but there's some waterways/ditches that it's going to take quite a bit of dirt moving to clean up and stabilize. Now, I'm not talking about rebuilding terraces with it, just some washes that have developed w/ notill. Couple hundred feet long and maybe a little over 3' deep. Want to push them closed and smooth them out a little so the sprayer can run smoothly.

Probably ought to add that I'd be looking at used (read cheap) blades, because there's no way I'd put a ton of money into something that's only used occassionally, at best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
plowboy
Posted 12/19/2007 21:47 (#264287 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: Re: Dozer blades on tractors, worth it or not?

Brazilton KS
A 6 way blade on a 4wd is incredibly handy to have. It is not a dozer when it comes to moving lots of dirt or clearing brush, but for those small jobs that turn up from time to time here and there, it is handy because you can just jump in and take off. Drive it to the job, do the job, and drive back. The 6 way makes it much more useful. I used to use the blade to roll up terraces that needed built up. It's not as fast as the Baker diskplow but a lot faster then aything else we have. It's also very handy for clearing snow. It will handle a lot of snow. I rather like ours on the old 7520 because it's cheap enough that there's no real problem with it sitting around until you need it.
ry0972
Posted 12/19/2007 21:48 (#264289 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: RE: Dozer blades on tractors, worth it or not?

central sask
Have a 12' 6 way leon on an old IH 4386. the blade is awesome and would be hard to live without even though it sits almost all summer.
The 10 speed tranny is probably the biggest drawback when clearing an area that requires backing up lots (powershift recomended). Roadways and ridgeing fields you can do lots in a short time, you can move alot of snow if you can keep some speed and you will have ample power. I would say spend the 5 to 10 grand and get a good used "6 way" 14' leon or degelman and own it the rest of your life/career, it will earn its keep in a short time.
deeredriver
Posted 12/19/2007 21:49 (#264292 - in reply to #264289)

Alma NE
Were looking for a used 6 way Degelman to fit a mx270 if you know of one ?

we have one of these otter ones on a 2wd 4555 its just an up and down and tlit by hydraulic to set the angle you have to put a suitcase thing in kinda a pain but a lot more simple simple means cheaper right lol
pretty good solid blade and made in ks
http://www.otterdozer.com/

Edited by deeredriver 12/19/2007 22:02
pknoeber
Posted 12/19/2007 21:54 (#264298 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: RE: Guess I better continue this discussion in the WTB forum! nt

SW KS, near Dodge City
ry0972
Posted 12/19/2007 21:58 (#264303 - in reply to #264273)

central sask
Also you may find a tractor with a blade on it for same or less money than the blade alone. Then shop around for the mounts for your intended tractor and drive the other like the banks goin to take it!! ;) ;)
Clay-All-Over
Posted 12/19/2007 22:29 (#264343 - in reply to #264273)

Eastern Ontario
Well, 10" of snow is not really that much unless you get snowdrifts. I've come by some snowdrifts where the 4WD would not push through. You might think you got the Hp, but you won't have the traction. Snow will turn to ice quite fast and then it's over. I'm not saying that I don't like it, but the last snowstorm left me wanting a snowblower instead of the blade. The blower would actually do a cleaner and more efficient job.  For other jobs the blade is just perfect. No need to shuttle a dozer around, just get in and drive.
Dan_wcIN
Posted 12/19/2007 23:34 (#264414 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: RE: Dozer blades on tractors, worth it or not? Yes

It made a Crop
For 10" of snow this one will take care of field high drifts. Dad bought it in '78 after being snowed in for 9 + days with three teenagers. It has been used on three different tractors since then. And he never been snowed in since. Biggest issue with a front blade and snow is to make sure snow does not get in the radiator.

It's also been used to dig out a few stumps.

(IMG00183.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG00183.jpg (83KB - 542 downloads)
msb
Posted 12/19/2007 23:47 (#264431 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: Reminds me of a tale

Lapel, In
Deere dealer that I used to work for, put a front blade on an new 8630 and we used it after a big snowstorm. One of the guys hit one of those big finger expansion joints on the bridge over Interstate 69.The blade edge just caught one of the fingers. Considering all the damage it did to the 8630, its a wonder it didn't knock the bridge down.The driver was plowing at a pretty good clip, but not wide open. Scared the crap out of him. when that big ole tractor jumped up and went sideways toward the guard rail with him. lol.
biglake
Posted 12/20/2007 06:28 (#264506 - in reply to #264273)

Homestead Montana
Ive got a real nice 16 foot degelman dozer for a 9370 we got rid of the tractor so the blade does me no good any more if I would take around 8 thousand if your interested
[email protected]
Dale
Robert W Greif
Posted 12/20/2007 06:45 (#264512 - in reply to #264273)
Subject: Gnuse Loader

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
I feel a Gnuse loader is just the ticket for snow.

Less money than a blade, probably less than a snowblower.

Not near as much to break as a blower.
Robert W Greif
Posted 12/20/2007 07:31 (#264529 - in reply to #264512)
Subject: RE: Gnuse Loader

Old Man Idtus strikes again
Robert W Greif
Posted 12/20/2007 07:35 (#264531 - in reply to #264529)
Subject: RE: Gnuse Loader

Pretty good old folks home not to far away

(snow[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snow[1].jpg (62KB - 491 downloads)
E718
Posted 12/20/2007 08:19 (#264557 - in reply to #264273)

Sac & Story county IA
A couple blades on a sale of some young buddies of mine.
http://www.denisonlivestock.com/salebill.asp?key=92
ohoh
Posted 12/20/2007 08:32 (#264571 - in reply to #264531)
Subject: RE: Gnuse Loader chicken litter

ever try one on litter?
Dan_wcIN
Posted 12/20/2007 09:52 (#264652 - in reply to #264512)
Subject: Blades, Loaders, Blowers and V-Plows all have there place

It made a Crop
In moving snow that is. It just depends on the amount of snow needing moved. And where/how it needs to be moved.

A rear blade a is the best low price tool for getting most the snows out of the way in our area.

A Front Blade is faster for opening up a Roadway. But the snow plowed to the side will make for deeper drifts after that pass.

A Front and Rear blade make a pretty good combo. The rear blade will pull the snow away from then we use the front blade to push it out of the way. Another thin we do is swing the rear blade over and gain an extra 3 feet of plowing with on the first pass.

A Loader is great for getting snow out of the way around close buildings. And being able to load snow on a truck a getting it out of site. And can be use to push open a path.

A Blower is great for getting snow out of the way. But it they can be slow going. But for really deep hard drifts a double fan blower is about the only thing that going to move 6-7 of snow.

A V-Plow as another tool that had it's place. Fast road opening and with speed it lift and throwns the snow out of the way.

In January of 1978 a remember watching a Pay loader work for hours opening mile stretch of road to get heating oil to a family. There were several Double Fan Fair snow blower bought in our area that. Then a few tractors with PTO and Clutch repair bills

If in a perfect world of snow remove. I'd want all of them available.

All of the above is based on snow we had 30-20 years ago around here. The front blade has not been needed for most of the snow we have had the last few years. I put it on last Friday when the forecast called for up to 12" of snow.

About the only Snow Blowers that come of barns around here lately. Are for retirement sale. I've thought about buying one of them just as an insurance policy. Kind of like putting that front blade on last week the snow didn't live up to the forecast.

Sorry I got off track here. But back to the post question if you can find a front blade that you can afford. Buy it, you'll be glade you did.
Rosco
Posted 12/20/2007 16:20 (#264881 - in reply to #264273)

Galahad, Alberta
Can't imagine life in the winter without one. My brothers are on their 4th blade over 30 some years. First a JD 5020, then a case 1570, then on the 1280 steiger, now one on a case 2590. All Degelman blades. They have all been just plain up and down blades. With some planning they will clear most areas. but there are times when a hyd angle and tilt would be great. One thing to consider is starting that 9230 in the winter. Having the blade on that Steiger was always a worry for me when starting that Cat motor in the winter. The shed wasn't heated. Having the blade on an older, less expensive tractor is what I would do if I didn't have a heated shed.
Rosco
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)