AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone ever rasied a pole barn?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bigboyfloyd
Posted 1/3/2013 21:07 (#2797019)
Subject: Anyone ever rasied a pole barn?

SW Michigan
How did you do it? I have a real nice 42x76 that was built in 1990 for livestock, its 100 percent insulated already has heat ect... problem is it only has 10ft eves, its all white steel inside and looks like new. I'd like to turn it into a shop, but its got to go up at least 8 or 10 feet. I had a house mover look at it and he told me they set up inside and shove the barn stright up suck the poles out of the ground. take it up to height and then you put new poles cut to length back down the holes and attach. I dont know if I like that idea. What about a poured wall and set the barn on that? or cut all the poles the same height and build a new wall and attach the barn that way. They want about 13,000 just to raise it. then of course you have everything else on top of that to finish it back out, including a big door. I dont know, Its got to be way cheaper than a new shop. (brother wants a new shop) What do you guys think??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MJ1657
Posted 1/3/2013 22:04 (#2797205 - in reply to #2797019)
Subject: Re: Anyone ever rasied a pole barn?

East Central MN
Friend of mine did it with bin jacks
btaylor
Posted 1/3/2013 22:16 (#2797230 - in reply to #2797205)

southern ohio
done it with a covered feed shed one time. cut all poles took loader tractors and lifted it to wanted height. then put 2x6 on all four sides and put bolts thru boards and post to secure it. had a lot of movement after so i x braced it and every thing is tight now. wind storm this year ripped roof off barn next to it but didn't damage the feed shed at all so its still strong
jdflyer
Posted 1/3/2013 22:59 (#2797320 - in reply to #2797019)

Centralia, MO
Just the opinion of a non-engineer but I think raising it 8 to 10 feet would be dicey. The building is not engineered for the extra wind load. Seems to me you would have to add a lot of structure. I think you could maybe stand to lift it 2 to 4 feet which would make room for all but the tallest equipment.
joyful
Posted 1/3/2013 23:30 (#2797363 - in reply to #2797019)
Subject: RE add to it

Westside
What if you added a small taller shop to the side of this building for your big stuff and use old building for office, parts , drill press, etc.
if you have land area. Risky and costly to go higher with your building, not that it can't be done.
farmb0y
Posted 1/4/2013 03:40 (#2797467 - in reply to #2797019)

EC IA
Had a neighbor just down the road do that with a shed, only add 4 ft or so, he said he woulda been better off building a new shop, or at least it would have cost the same. He did have to add insulation and finish the inside to make it a shop.
graystonefarms
Posted 1/4/2013 04:31 (#2797473 - in reply to #2797320)

Maryland
Wonder if you jacked it up and put a poured wall for the bottom 4 feet of so. I would think it would be like sitting on a foundation. Probably not the cheapest, but pretty strong.
iseedit
Posted 1/4/2013 07:10 (#2797599 - in reply to #2797019)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever rasied a pole barn?

central - east central Minnesota -
Bigboyfloyd - 1/3/2013 20:07How did you do it? I have a real nice 42x76 that was built in 1990 for livestock, its 100 percent insulated already has heat ect... problem is it only has 10ft eves, its all white steel inside and looks like new. I'd like to turn it into a shop, but its got to go up at least 8 or 10 feet. I had a house mover look at it and he told me they set up inside and shove the barn stright up suck the poles out of the ground. take it up to height and then you put new poles cut to length back down the holes and attach. I dont know if I like that idea. What about a poured wall and set the barn on that? or cut all the poles the same height and build a new wall and attach the barn that way. They want about 13,000 just to raise it. then of course you have everything else on top of that to finish it back out, including a big door. I dont know, Its got to be way cheaper than a new shop. (brother wants a new shop) What do you guys think??
A couple considerations . . . The insulation is likly shot - mice and condensation ......The inside and outside sheeting is too short, when lifted . . . .I would consider demoing it and saving material, then starting from scratch, doing it right. You for sure have truss's for the new shop and some lining steel for the inside, with new insulation, where it needs to be. If you have time, you will save considerable amount of money demoing your self and setting up for some one to build the new one.

Edited by iseedit 1/4/2013 07:13
gr ecks
Posted 1/4/2013 07:33 (#2797635 - in reply to #2797019)

My stepson did that a few years ago for his business but I don't recall now if it was a frame or pole building, I think it was a frame wall. I will try to remember to question him about it and post back. I know he did pretty much over a weekend. I recall on the Successful Farming Machinery show they featured one that was an old hog building that as I remember it they made frame walls on the floor and then raised the roof and then stood the walls up. Seems like it was around 200 foot long and they did it in two sections I think. It seems like it was in Missouri.
E718
Posted 1/4/2013 08:12 (#2797707 - in reply to #2797019)

Sac & Story county IA
I raised up a building 9 feet. It was an extremely strong building to start with or I probably wouldn't have messed with it. 2x6 studs, sheeted outside of studs and inside. Every 10 feet the stud is a 4x6. We raised it up on 6 sets of 12 inch piling. The pilings outside of the building were set in holes 3x3x3 and filled with concrete. Those structures are part of the foundation/wall, now. The wall below the existing building is 10 inch thick poured concrete with double curtain rebar.
The tough part was keeping the building secure for 3 weeks while the walls were built.
Insurance guys acted like I wanted to insure a house on the moon.
It involved drilling 400 5/8 inch holes in 3/8 thick steel with a hand drill.

Edited by E718 1/4/2013 08:15
stevehin
Posted 1/4/2013 08:19 (#2797720 - in reply to #2797707)

central PA
E718, that was some project. You obviously are not shy to work. How big was your original building and how did you raise it.
E718
Posted 1/4/2013 08:52 (#2797802 - in reply to #2797720)

Sac & Story county IA
30 x 60
Forklift at 6 points around the building. 3 inches up, block it. Then, on the next 3 inch lift, move the brackets up 6 inches.
It wants to get real unstable up there.

My kids were about 14 15 at the time. We were very slow and deliberate. They WERE going home with all 10 fingers after the job. Safety was #1.

Grader man going by while we were doing it told me "if there is a tornado, I know where I am going to hide."
bushed52
Posted 1/4/2013 09:27 (#2797870 - in reply to #2797019)

NW Iowa
I raised a hog building 12 feet to make a shop out of it. It was a 36 X 62 fully insulated. I filled the pits with sand and gravel and let them settle for 3 years before I poured the floor. The walls were laminated 2x6 posts that had been set on a foundation with 2x6 nailers in between the posts held with joist hangers. I cut 2' of 2x6 off on side of the post and 4' off the other side and spliced in. The 2x6 nailers on edge with the joist hangers make for a very strong wall, but I am adding lean to's on the side for cold storage and to alleviate the wind load on the side walls. The tin, insulation, and liner on the walls all needed to be replaced. If you plan on doing most of the work yourself, I think it might be worthwhile. At $13000, I think you will be ahead starting from scratch. It cost a little over $3000 to have mine raised by a pro during the off season. He just got it in the air. I was responsible for everything else. It is VERY difficult to keep the stucture secure while it's in the air.
slowzuki
Posted 1/4/2013 09:39 (#2797889 - in reply to #2797019)

New Brunswick, Canada
Home built pole barns unless done to ag extension plans are normally underdesigned for wind. They use the length of pole in the ground to resist the wind loads on the building. Going taller increases the wind load. Cutting them or splicing weakens them. Setting them on a slab completely undoes their purpose of being in the ground meaning you have to add sheathing or x bracing and struts up into the rafters.

You can do a lot of work in a 10 ft tall shop. Maybe pour a big apron for the big stuff out front?
cjd12000
Posted 1/4/2013 13:43 (#2798318 - in reply to #2797019)

candor ny
Wouldn't it be easier to pull the roof and run a clear span higher pitched roof to get the height in the center at least
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 1/4/2013 20:10 (#2799143 - in reply to #2797019)
Subject: yes lots of pics

SW Ohio
a few explanations..
56X56 with one end 16' wide already tall, rest short
Was a dairy freestall barn for a long time, concrete around posts almost since the beginning.
Did not even empty it all the way, notice baler is still inside during move, extra trusses are for future project
You can never have too many braces, several failed and caused a few missing heartbeats, also do not do when windy!!
About four foot total raise, just enough to match the tall part, went from not being able to get 4020 with rops inside to now packed full of tractors and combine and stuff.
Took the low budget route and used inventory only, no new stuff purchased except for the new 8' poles. That little skylight at the top of west wall sure lets in a lot of light, and made using orphan tin a little easier. Only cost was time, about a week off and on for me and one day for the lift.

(NW before.jpg)

(S shifted.jpg)

(ES shift.jpg)

(NE shift.jpg)

(S shifted.jpg)

(WS shifted.jpg)

(WS split.jpg)

(ES split.jpg)

(bad post 1.jpg)

(bad post out.jpg)

(badpost door.jpg)

(ES on props.jpg)

(SE on props.jpg)

(hammer in new post.jpg)

(hammer another post.jpg)

(ES new post in.jpg)

(WS new post in.jpg)

(ES done.jpg)

(inside done.jpg)

(NS done.jpg)

(S done.jpg)

(SE done.jpg)

(W done.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NW before.jpg (72KB - 1098 downloads)
Attachments S shifted.jpg (58KB - 1053 downloads)
Attachments ES shift.jpg (77KB - 868 downloads)
Attachments NE shift.jpg (89KB - 932 downloads)
Attachments S shifted.jpg (58KB - 967 downloads)
Attachments WS shifted.jpg (64KB - 1155 downloads)
Attachments WS split.jpg (65KB - 946 downloads)
Attachments ES split.jpg (73KB - 987 downloads)
Attachments bad post 1.jpg (89KB - 931 downloads)
Attachments bad post out.jpg (66KB - 1066 downloads)
Attachments badpost door.jpg (68KB - 961 downloads)
Attachments ES on props.jpg (78KB - 1061 downloads)
Attachments SE on props.jpg (71KB - 984 downloads)
Attachments hammer in new post.jpg (83KB - 978 downloads)
Attachments hammer another post.jpg (89KB - 855 downloads)
Attachments ES new post in.jpg (93KB - 986 downloads)
Attachments WS new post in.jpg (85KB - 926 downloads)
Attachments ES done.jpg (59KB - 922 downloads)
Attachments inside done.jpg (55KB - 1070 downloads)
Attachments NS done.jpg (76KB - 953 downloads)
Attachments S done.jpg (58KB - 835 downloads)
Attachments SE done.jpg (59KB - 763 downloads)
Attachments W done.jpg (61KB - 952 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)