AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

zero mowers?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

derby
Posted 12/10/2012 21:21 (#2744576)
Subject: zero mowers?

John deere or Kubota, which makes a better zero turn mower. Will a zero turn work on steep hills or they hard to handle and are they safe.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
8320farmer
Posted 12/10/2012 21:50 (#2744692 - in reply to #2744576)
Subject: Re: zero mowers?

East central Indiana
DEERE we hate our Kubota if it had not been free I would have returned it. My gas 920a Deere has way more power than our 32 horse diesel Kubota.
packerfan
Posted 12/10/2012 21:59 (#2744717 - in reply to #2744576)
Subject: RE: zero mowers?

Western illinois
I mow a steep ditch with mine with no trouble. It will slide in some
conditions, but won't roll. I have a Ferris.
Mike SE IL
Posted 12/11/2012 04:44 (#2745091 - in reply to #2744576)
Subject: Which Deere ?

West Union, Illinois

My wife is on her second Deere zero turn.  The first one was more of a consumer grade

We traded it for a commercial grade mower and are much happier with it

Well ... now that she has a season with it she is happier.  When I did it she thought I was nuts.  But after running the new one she sees my reasoning. It is built heavier, mows better, will finish the yard without having to stop and fill the gas tank, has a button to raise the deck, all around better machine.  I can't speak to the comparison to a Kubota, but just want to caution you that a generic question like Deere vs Kubota may not get good answers.

I am a big zero turn fan.  However, if I had a lot of hillside to mow I might go back to a tractor type.  With a zero turn you either are in good shape or you're at the bottom of the hill.  Our road ditch isn't that steep, but my wife gives me the opportunity to mow it. You don't want a zero turn on a hillside or bank if it is the least bit damp or slick. Oh, and when you start up a hill with one you are committed.  Turning around or especially going backwards is not an option you want to explore.

My first zero turn experience was Gramp's cone drive Dixon.  He thought it was great.  I though it was great he thought so.

When we moved to this house he insisted I bring his Dixon out and try it.  I'm mowing along the edge of the road ditch when the drive chain breaks on the left wheel. There is just one thing to do when that happens.  You better hang on because you don't have time to pray.  It is "Ditch, here I come".

olf20
Posted 12/11/2012 06:44 (#2745149 - in reply to #2745091)

NW ILLINOIS
Mike is right, if it is wet / damp you should be mowing some where else.
We sell Hustler and Simplicity / Ferris mowers. Over 70% are zero
turn. If interested we have two Hustler Super Z's that we have
great prices on.
olf20 / Bob
Kevin CNTRL IL
Posted 12/11/2012 07:00 (#2745159 - in reply to #2744576)

I have owned a deere 757 and currently have a 777. Before I purchased the first one several people that owned other zero turn mowers told me how poorly they worked on ditches/hills. I find them to be excellent on ditches that my old 345 tractor type mower simply wasnt able to mow.
Illinois Steve
Posted 12/11/2012 08:24 (#2745295 - in reply to #2744576)

North Central Illinois
I have a Kubota ZD326 and couldn't be happier with it. It will mow ditches just fine. No problems. I have had this mower for three years and 200 hours and I have had not one issue with it. Done nothing but oil changes and other yearly maint.. I'm not sure what mower the guy bashing Kubotas had but it must have been a lemon. I looked at the Deere mowers at the time and thought they were a joke compared to the Kubota. I think Deere has improved their zero turn mowers a lot in the past few years though. They were kind of late coming to the party on that one. Grasshopper/Woods, Dixon, Exmark, Kubota, Ferris, and a host of others had been making good zero turn mowers for a long time before Deere got serious about it. I am a Deere guy too but not when it came to buying a zero turn mower. I might take a look at them in the future if I ever decide to trade. That will likely be quite some time because I really don't think there is any wearing this Kubota out. It is made incredibly well. One thing I like about it is if you are in a hurry the thing will do just as nice of a job mowing full bore wide open as it will going slower. I think the Kubotas have the highest blade speed on the market.
Illinois Steve
Posted 12/11/2012 08:31 (#2745309 - in reply to #2744576)

North Central Illinois
I have a Kubota ZD326 and couldn't be happier with it. It will mow ditches just fine. No problems. I have had this mower for three years and 200 hours and I have had not one issue with it. Done nothing but oil changes and other yearly maint.. I'm not sure what mower the guy bashing Kubotas had but it must have been a lemon. I looked at the Deere mowers at the time and thought they were a joke compared to the Kubota. I think Deere has improved their zero turn mowers a lot in the past few years though. They were kind of late coming to the party on that one. Grasshopper/Woods, Dixon, Exmark, Kubota, Ferris, and a host of others had been making good zero turn mowers for a long time before Deere got serious about it. I am a Deere guy too but not when it came to buying a zero turn mower. I might take a look at them in the future if I ever decide to trade. That will likely be quite some time because I really don't think there is any wearing this Kubota out. It is made incredibly well. One thing I like about it is if you are in a hurry the thing will do just as nice of a job mowing full bore wide open as it will going slower. I think the Kubotas have the highest blade speed on the market.
Kentuck
Posted 12/11/2012 08:46 (#2745342 - in reply to #2745309)

Central Kentucky
We have a Deere and a Great Dane. Just bought a Bad Boy mower as a third zero turn. It is by far the best and was the cheapest. Look at one and see what you think. I like the other two and they mow well but the Bad Boy rides better and is easier to service. As stated on slick grass or surfaces they will slide and control is tough. Never had one want to turn over or get out of control but stay off wet areas that are steep until they dry.
pbutler
Posted 12/11/2012 09:35 (#2745454 - in reply to #2744576)

Macon, IL
I have a Deere 737. Built like a tank and virtually trouble free for 5 year.

I would buy another one if this one ever wears out, my only complaint is that is really rides like a brick.
AGFARMER
Posted 12/11/2012 17:15 (#2746096 - in reply to #2745454)

Courtland Alabama (North Alabama) War Eagle.
I gotta agree with Illinois Steve here I have a john deere I forget the model but its a z turn 72 inch cut and a Kobuta zd326 60 inch cut both of them are diesels. I would never go back to a gas mower motor and the JD never gets used any more. We just keep it to put the a sprayer on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)