AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twisted chisel plow points, any rhyme or reason which way they go?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Detroit
Posted 12/2/2012 20:01 (#2729256)
Subject: Twisted chisel plow points, any rhyme or reason which way they go?

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
We don't do much chiseling but at certain times in the right conditions it works great. Right now is one of those times. So we hooked up a few days ago. But at 16' we aren't getting much ground covered so I got to thinking of one I saw in the weeds years ago.

I've got a friend who is giving me a older Deere pull type chisel. It's a smaller one but we have enough parts between us to stretch it out to 20-22'. It needs a little work and will need all new points.

So is there any rhyme or reason as to where the right and left hand points go? Alternate them right and left? Put all rights on one side and lefts on the other? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question... I picked up 20 points yesterday. Got Nichols twisted and got 10 lefts and 10 rights.

Edited by Detroit 12/2/2012 20:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jkseed76
Posted 12/2/2012 20:20 (#2729301 - in reply to #2729256)
Subject: RE: Twisted chisel plow points, any rhyme or reason which way they go?

central mn
I have always started by setting the shovels to throw dirt to the outside, of course the middle shank(if its in the center) can be the wild card if you have that extra right or left twist shovel. Around the wheels they should be throwing the soil away from the tires. Also run the shovel one hole up from the bottom if you have the shovels with 6 holes. I'm sure there are other ways, thats how I do it
Farmer Dale
Posted 12/2/2012 20:21 (#2729308 - in reply to #2729256)

Casey Illinois
Just about need a book as there is a certain way they are placed. Might go with straight points
Jd7730
Posted 12/2/2012 20:29 (#2729328 - in reply to #2729256)
Subject: Re: Twisted chisel plow points, any rhyme or reason which way they go?

SE MN
We have always set them up so that the front rank throws the soil inward and the rear throws it out on a two rank chisel plow. Typically there are an odd number of shanks and so you can do what you want with the middle one. Depending on the wheels and such, you may have to improvise to make it work. Like was said, check the owners' manual to be sure for your machine.
Detroit
Posted 12/2/2012 20:40 (#2729358 - in reply to #2729328)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Is a 3 row machine. And the owners manual is long gone probably about the time we landed on the moon or Kennedy was shot so that's not gonna help.

It has 2 mainframe wheels. Put points to throw dirt away from the wheels and the rest sounds like a crapshoot. Our other chisel has twisted points and they are mixed all up and it seems to do ok. It's a 3 point job with gauge wheels in the middle. The points closest to the wheels throw dirt away from them. I just wasn't sure how to set up a pull type machine.

As best as I can tell by looking at the online parts catalogs its a 100 series Deere chisel. Pre 1966 model. Real up to date stuff I'm working with but then again not much new has came along in the chiseling world lately...
Farmer Dale
Posted 12/2/2012 20:41 (#2729360 - in reply to #2729256)

Casey Illinois
Just about need a book as there is a certain way they are placed. Might go with straight points

Edited by Farmer Dale 12/2/2012 20:53
Boiler78
Posted 12/2/2012 20:56 (#2729396 - in reply to #2729256)

Need to find the owners manual. It will tell you the proper positioning of left and right hand shovels. If you don't put them on correctly, the chisel can pull crooked, plug up, or leave the field uneven next spring.
JDPlowboy
Posted 12/2/2012 22:53 (#2729701 - in reply to #2729360)

sw MN
Sounds like a jd 1600. We had 1 years ago. We put lefts on the left and right on the right. I dought it makes much difference.
steveMIfarmer
Posted 12/2/2012 23:09 (#2729737 - in reply to #2729256)

West Michigan
We make sure the ones next to the tires throw away from them. Otherwise it throws dirt and small rocks at the rims/valve stems. You end up with way to many flat tires that way. The back row (3 rows) always throws out. Left side throw left, right side throw right.
Detroit
Posted 12/2/2012 23:39 (#2729816 - in reply to #2729701)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
JDPlowboy - 12/2/2012 21:53

Sounds like a jd 1600. We had 1 years ago. We put lefts on the left and right on the right. I dought it makes much difference.

From what I can tell its a 100 or some variation of that. We thought it was a 1600 but I was able to pull up all the parts books tonight and comparing pics I think I found the right model.

It'll do what I need it to do. Like I said in an above post, its hard to tell a 50 year old chisel apart from a 5 year old one by looking at the jobs they do.
Detroit
Posted 12/2/2012 23:40 (#2729821 - in reply to #2729256)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
dualquads71 - 12/2/2012 22:21

Here's the arrangement on an old 15' IH 55 we used to use with 4" twisted shovels.  Maybe it will at least give you a general pattern to follow.

Standing behind the plow and looking forward, left to right:

Front row (closest to tractor):  L - (tire) – R – R – L – L – (tire) – R

Middle row:  R – R – L – L

Back row:   L – L – L – R - R

Thanks. Looks like a good starting point.
Posted 12/3/2012 18:27 (#2730981 - in reply to #2729821)

Nc Ks.
On my old 3 rank chisel, I trade to have them so the two shovels nearest in line with each other would throw together. Of course that might be one front row shank and a middle row shank, etc. Don't know if it helped but I thought it would cover the straw better that way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)