AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cat 3306 prechamber removal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JZIMM
Posted 11/5/2012 12:03 (#2679579)
Subject: cat 3306 prechamber removal

SE Minnesota

I need to replace the pre chamber/fuel injector o-rings on my Steiger 3306 and was wondering if I can remove the prechamber without the special tool I've read about.  If not, does anyone have a picutre or link to the tool I need?

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
4WD
Posted 11/5/2012 12:19 (#2679608 - in reply to #2679579)
Subject: RE: cat 3306 prechamber removal

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

I googled it, found these photos, BUT I don't know the part number that you need. It will be a splined tool.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Caterpillar+Precombustion+Chamber+Tools+Part+5F9217+New+

datyerdog?
Posted 11/5/2012 16:13 (#2679870 - in reply to #2679579)
Subject: Re: cat 3306 prechamber removal

I have this tool. paid $50 in the late 80's from Cat. I would go with the one on Ebay for $8.

Edited by datyerdog? 11/5/2012 16:15

(140.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 140.jpg (3KB - 1236 downloads)
ccjersey
Posted 11/5/2012 20:26 (#2680294 - in reply to #2679579)

Faunsdale, AL
Just which O-rings are you changing? Water leaking around the PC chamber? Combustion gas getting into the cooling system or combustion gas leaking up around the injector? The old style chambers (without glow plugs) were a 2 piece assembly and you needed the whole set of tools shown at the top of the ebay link, but you could change just the o-rings at the top that keep the coolant in without disturbing the chamber and it's seal into the cylinder.

Newer CAT engines that still used PC chambers went to a single piece chamber and you must remove it and replace the seal ring underneath it that seals it into the combustion chamber of the head at the same time you change the o-ring around the top of it that keeps the coolant in. Use copper anti sieze on the threads and clean the sealing surfaces with wire brush etc so you get a good seal top and bottom. Torque to 140-160 foot pounds. Injector hold down nut torque to 100 foot pounds

Removing PC chambers is not to be done lightly. You can take the threads out of the head if you're not lucky/living right! If it has to come out, then sometimes an impact wrench will get it out with less trouble than a breaker bar once it's broken loose. If it doesn't spin right out, then go back and forth, a few minutes spent loosening it up can save you a bundle purchasing the helicoil repair from CAT that is needed to fix them when you take the threads out with the chamber.

4WD
Posted 11/5/2012 21:04 (#2680394 - in reply to #2680294)

ccjersey - 11/5/2012 19:26 Just which O-rings are you changing? Water leaking around the PC chamber? Combustion gas getting into the cooling system or combustion gas leaking up around the injector? The old style chambers (without glow plugs) were a 2 piece assembly and you needed the whole set of tools shown at the top of the ebay link, but you could change just the o-rings at the top that keep the coolant in without disturbing the chamber and it's seal into the cylinder. Newer CAT engines that still used PC chambers went to a single piece chamber and you must remove it and replace the seal ring underneath it that seals it into the combustion chamber of the head at the same time you change the o-ring around the top of it that keeps the coolant in. Use copper anti sieze on the threads and clean the sealing surfaces with wire brush etc so you get a good seal top and bottom. Torque to 140-160 foot pounds. Injector hold down nut torque to 100 foot pounds Removing PC chambers is not to be done lightly. You can take the threads out of the head if you're not lucky/living right! If it has to come out, then sometimes an impact wrench will get it out with less trouble than a breaker bar once it's broken loose. If it doesn't spin right out, then go back and forth, a few minutes spent loosening it up can save you a bundle purchasing the helicoil repair from CAT that is needed to fix them when you take the threads out with the chamber.

Are you sure about that 100 ft lbs of torque? Those "capsule nozzles" get bugled out and damaged IF torqued down too much. I don't have book, for that, but I would like to have someone verify that spec.

You may be correct, It just seems too high to me. 

ccjersey
Posted 11/5/2012 22:57 (#2680686 - in reply to #2680394)

Faunsdale, AL
That's from the CAT master engine book. Used on all of the capsule nozzles. They might not "need" it, but that's what the book says. I don't think they're so delicate you need worry. I have had trouble getting a few rusted ones out of old engines without taking the PC chambers out along with it!

One thing that throws some folks is that the capsule nozzle screws onto the body or adapter finger tight only. The thread fits loosely as the fuel passes down the thread to get to the injector. You can actually check one on an injector tester just screwed on finger tight as long as everything is clean. It won't leak enough to mess up checking the nozzle which should crack at ~ 500 psi. They'll run at less as long as they're spraying a good pattern, but they're cheap enough that it's best to put a set in if there's any question.
4WD
Posted 11/5/2012 23:07 (#2680704 - in reply to #2680686)

Thanks,

I must be thinking of something else. {I had 55 ft lbs, in my head, for some reason.}

4WD
Posted 11/5/2012 23:19 (#2680720 - in reply to #2680704)
Subject: Had to go look

Put on my shoes, and went to garage, to get an old book, because I wanted to know WHY 55 ft lbs was stuck in my head = 3406A model was 55 ft lb for nozzle retaining nuts.

So now I know. (different engine model)

JZIMM
Posted 11/6/2012 08:04 (#2681043 - in reply to #2679579)

SE Minnesota
Thanks for the replys and I ordered the correct tool.

I have coolant leaking out around the injectors similar to this thread: http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69490&posts=3&... injector leak&highlightmode=1#M492499

I aslo found the correct O-rings at an aftermarket dealer for half the cost of CAT.......$3 vs over $6
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)