AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Major Appliances & Lowe's, Menard's etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jeff
Posted 10/22/2012 11:40 (#2654516)
Subject: Major Appliances & Lowe's, Menard's etc.

Centralia, MO
Has anyone made any of their major appliance purchases at the "chain" stores such as Lowe's, Menard's or even Home Depot? We've always stayed with a local appliance store or two just for the service and keeping the money circulating on a more local basis. I see the "chain" stores handling brands like Samsumg or LG as well as some of the more common names like Whirlpool or GE. Actually a clerk at a Lowe's store gave the Samsung brand many kudos over the more traditional ones. It's time for some upgrades and I would like to read your thoughts and ideas.

We currently have Jenn Air stove (electric) and Jenn Air refrigerator. The Jenn Air ice maker has been nothing but a pain in the whazoo(sp?) since we've had it but other than that, no complaints. We intend to go with a gas stove this time, just because I have never cared for the idea of electric but that's what the wife wanted at the time. I think you can do a more controlled job of cooking with gas.

I guess one of my concerns is quality of the product. Is there such a thing as "seconds" and just who gets them? Do they cut corners on the items going to the chain stores so they can sell volume?

TIA
Jeff

Edited by Jeff 10/22/2012 12:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page
L SEIA
Posted 10/22/2012 12:09 (#2654541 - in reply to #2654516)
Subject: Re: Major Appliances & Lowe's, Menard's etc.

south east iowa
I have bought 2 ge clothes dryers from Lowes. One for my house, one for mom's. Of course it was strictly a cash and carry deal as opposed to the small town dealer bringing it out and installing. I feel like it saved me quite a bit of money. Not sure I would do it on a dishwasher or something like that.
BenP
Posted 10/22/2012 12:17 (#2654554 - in reply to #2654516)

Central Nebraska
We bought our dishwasher, stove, washer and dryer at Menard's. If you can take it home that day and install it yourself, I think it's the way to go. The local guys here will work on appliances no matter where you bought them, so that wasn't a big concern for me.
farminguy
Posted 10/22/2012 12:40 (#2654576 - in reply to #2654516)

Gibson City, IL
We bought our fridge, stove, and dish washer all from Lowes. This was 2.5 yrs ago. Free delivery was nice.
Mike Shimek
Posted 10/22/2012 12:45 (#2654584 - in reply to #2654516)

High Springs, Florida
Bought new fridge and dishwasher from Lowes. After the fridge was installed, in door water and ice maker failed to work. Installers told my wife we had a problem with our well pump, even though it worked before they showed up and water came out of all faucets and toilets all flushed. When I got home from work that night, I rolled the fridge forward and un-kinked the water line. Amazing! My fingers never left my hand, and no tools were used.
greech
Posted 10/22/2012 12:57 (#2654603 - in reply to #2654576)

United States
We bought a front load washer & dryer from Lowes six years ago. Paid for delivery ($49) and they hooked everything up. Told me if I had problems since I paid for delivery they would also pick up and fix/replace under warranty without much fuss. Didn't have to deal with that, but I didn't have any problems.

You can also request a 10% off coupon for lowes that is supposed to be for people moving, but they don't check as far as I know.
FlyLow
Posted 10/22/2012 14:12 (#2654699 - in reply to #2654584)
Subject: Dang it!

South Texas

Now I've gotta wipe the coffee off my monitor.  <g>  Stetts

mndairyfarmer
Posted 10/22/2012 19:08 (#2655021 - in reply to #2654516)

swmn
we have bought several appliances from lowes with great results. free delivery. very nice people, but we live in a small town atmosphere
JDpuller
Posted 10/22/2012 19:53 (#2655123 - in reply to #2654576)

WC Iowa
When we purchesed new appliences for the house, we tried to compare prices with Menards, Lowes, Sears, and the local guy. It's basically impossible to get the smae # from different stores, due to small changes made for a certain buyer, thus a different model #. Ended up getting it all from Lowes.

They had the best package deal, and delivery/installation which was nice. would've preferred to buy local, but local guy was WAAY out of the price, and even with our order (stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, 2 washers, dryer) didn't seem to interested.

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/22/2012 20:13 (#2655164 - in reply to #2654516)
Subject: RE: Major Appliances & Lowe's, Menard's etc.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Bought my latest pair of kitchen appliances at Menards. Microwave, best price in a large town, Kitchen gas stove(Menards was the only store with an oddball 20 inch in stock), and the best price. Both were good quality name brands, both have been reliable for 5 plus years. Good prices, good service. Will look there first for the next appliance I need.

Edited by Jon Hagen 10/22/2012 20:18
tooth and nail
Posted 10/22/2012 20:56 (#2655293 - in reply to #2654516)

Local store will BEAT them both EVERY time , plus you get ALL the options , not one option on one from M's , and another option on the one from L's , they do that so they DON'T have to match prices like they advertise.
Jim
Posted 10/22/2012 22:54 (#2655682 - in reply to #2655293)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Agreed. My local appliance dealer in WI gave me a very good price on a new set of appliances last year. He was very agreeable when I changed my order to a Frigidaire induction stove although he already had the resistance stove. He also took back the over the range microwave and replaced it with a nice stainless range hood and countertop micro. He also recommended the Speed Queen washer and dryer which are the best set we have ever had.

He delivered and installed everything, took the packing material back with him and I am sure will service everything if required. He employs local people Prices are very competitive. He has my business.

Jim

tooth and nail
Posted 10/23/2012 08:49 (#2656207 - in reply to #2654516)

We take pictures with our cell phone to compare , because they are allllllllllmost exactly alike , just a different shelf , or different door bin.

The salesman at the big box, wasn't happy when he asked, and I told him.
ezzard
Posted 10/23/2012 19:45 (#2657108 - in reply to #2654516)

SE IA
Just bought a washer and dryer from Lowes. Next appliance will come from one of the locally owned retailers. Service is worth something. Nuff said.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)