AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DOT regs on fuel transport tanks in pickups and trailers???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

frmerndel
Posted 9/19/2012 21:34 (#2599684)
Subject: DOT regs on fuel transport tanks in pickups and trailers???

What are the current DOT regs on fuel transfer tanks in the back of pickups and trailers? Do you need a permit? Anything special on caps pumps guards etc? TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Smoothlander
Posted 9/19/2012 22:09 (#2599789 - in reply to #2599684)
Subject: RE: DOT regs on fuel transport tanks in pickups and trailers???

Good luck getting the correct answer, I am interested myself.
ahay68979
Posted 9/19/2012 22:19 (#2599823 - in reply to #2599789)
Subject: RE: DOT regs on fuel transport tanks in pickups and trailers???

Saronville NE
Just pull it till you get stopped IMO. Im not going to worry about it till somebody makes me worry about it. Just like most other rules, its just more BS for somebody to make money off of.
smilin jack
Posted 9/19/2012 22:21 (#2599834 - in reply to #2599823)
Subject: Re: DOT regs on fuel transport tanks in pickups and trailers???

SW North Dakota
If the tank can hold 110 gallons or more you need a hazmat endorcement,CDL and needs to have a placard... for more info check dot.gov

Edited by smilin jack 9/19/2012 22:29
milofarmer1
Posted 9/19/2012 22:29 (#2599863 - in reply to #2599684)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Here if it is over 119 gallons, the trailer must have placards and all the DOT reflective requirements/lights/brakes. Farmers are NOT required to have CDL or Hazmat as long as they are moving the fuel for their own farm's use. May have to have shipping papers. Basically a document in plain view in drivers area stating gallons and what is in the tank. Specs. etc. Nobody is getting tickets though. Kid gloves around here so far, but a few warnings have been given.

We had a big meeting with the New Mexico DOT a couple winters ago and they basically said keep your trailers in good condition with placards and they will leave us alone concerning the fuel trailers. Somebody higher up had talked to them and they really laid off causing problems after that fiasco.
farmerboy50
Posted 9/19/2012 22:42 (#2599916 - in reply to #2599863)

West Texas
Could you explain shipping papers and who gives them to you? With all the oil field activity DPS brings in a random task force and reeks havoc periodically. Local farmer was written a ticket for numerous things regarding a fuel tank some I'm a little curious.
lincmercguy
Posted 9/20/2012 01:37 (#2600203 - in reply to #2599834)

CO, NE
smilin jack - 9/19/2012 20:21

If the tank can hold 110 gallons or more you need a hazmat endorcement,CDL and needs to have a placard... for more info check dot.gov

I think that only applies to nonvolotile fuels like diesel. My tank has all kinds of warning signs to not put gasoline in it.
Tim in WI
Posted 9/20/2012 07:03 (#2600282 - in reply to #2599684)
Subject: Don't ask, don't tell. NT

Embarrass WI

nt

iseedit
Posted 9/20/2012 07:42 (#2600345 - in reply to #2599863)
Subject: Re: +1 pretty much sums it up ~

central - east central Minnesota -

milofarmer1 - 9/19/2012 21:29 Here if it is over 119 gallons, the trailer must have placards and all the DOT reflective requirements/lights/brakes. Farmers are NOT required to have CDL or Hazmat as long as they are moving the fuel for their own farm's use. May have to have shipping papers. Basically a document in plain view in drivers area stating gallons and what is in the tank. Specs. etc. Nobody is getting tickets though. Kid gloves around here so far, but a few warnings have been given. We had a big meeting with the New Mexico DOT a couple winters ago and they basically said keep your trailers in good condition with placards and they will leave us alone concerning the fuel trailers. Somebody higher up had talked to them and they really laid off causing problems after that fiasco.

It may make a little difference in which state you are in , but basically, here in Mn, it is as posted here ~
Doesn't matter if it's a 119 gal or less pick up tank or a 1000 gal tank on trailer. Needs placarding and trailer inspection stickers along with other DOT requirements listed above.
Pickup tank needs placard and can't be more then 119 gals.
The doc's thing isn't neccessary in Mn.
This is for farm fuels - if you say its for for non farm (excavator or skidloader digging around) use's you could be questioned further . . . .
Again, your state may differ slightly, but most states use the Fed DOT rules.

Edit: Oh, tanks needs to be secured to trk or trailer - supprised how many tanks "float" in trks and trialers

Edited by iseedit 9/20/2012 07:44
milofarmer1
Posted 9/20/2012 08:34 (#2600420 - in reply to #2599916)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
I use this guide. It goes into what farmers are required to do etc. If I read it right page 16 if it is over 502 gallons you do have to have hazmat training/endorsement. Shipping papers are basic info about the product you could keep on a clipboard on the dash of the vehicle. (I don't, and won't unless they start hassling us about it) I have a copy of this pdf saved on my computer for quick refrence.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CVE-13.pdf

From page 14 (emphasis mine)

Shipping Papers – HMR 172.200

General entry requirements for shipping papers. (172.200)

Basic description of shipping papers. (172.202)

(1) Proper shipping name from 172.101 table. (Diesel fuel)

(2) Hazard class or division of the HM. (3)

(3) Identification number. (UN1993)

(4) Packing group in Roman numerals. (III)

(5) Total quantity of HM being transported. (503 gallons)

Additional entries if needed (Example: Limited quantities, poisonous materials, gases, etc.)(172.203)

The Hazardous Material Regulations allow diesel fuel to be reclassified as a combustible liquid.

Farmers transporting diesel fuel for farm use should use the following basic shipping paper.

EXAMPLE:

503 gallons - Diesel fuel/ Combustible Liquid/ UN1993/ III
This shipping paper must be carried at all times and must be within reach of the driver or in view for someone else entering the driver compartment. It must also be carried separate from other papers,

tabbed or otherwise marked so it stands out from the rest of the papers.

Edited by milofarmer1 9/20/2012 08:35
Crete
Posted 9/20/2012 08:42 (#2600434 - in reply to #2600203)

Badger State
That includes gasoline. But farmers are exempt from most of this.
deersniper
Posted 9/20/2012 09:25 (#2600518 - in reply to #2600282)

Seems like the thing to do is put a tank in a heavy enclosed trailer and not say anything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)