AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

triticale ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 8/23/2012 21:10 (#2555239)
Subject: triticale ?

well,  now that the hay is pretty much up,  I know now  how 'short' I am!   So,  thinking now that we'll have a reasonable early harvest,  (I'd venture to say we've have our allotment of heat units!!!)   I'm  really considering  baling up our cornstalks.  Normally,   I graze them into the ground,  then  feed  pretty much all our hay crop on those acres.   I'll  feed  about  3000 bales on a  2 pivot  half section.   I  keep hearing about a  possible  'wet' winter: (deep snow).   That would sure make a string of  1200-1500 bales  look nice!    2-3 years ago,  I didn't  bale any stalks,  and was forced to feed all my hay early,  and  ran out of hay  when  calving started.  (but had  stalks to graze as the snow melted)  I prefer not to do that again!

Back to the  question!    If we get our corn out early,  say  before  nov 1,  and plant  at least one circle to trit,     I am  thinking of just mowing off the stalks,  and drilling right into the short stubble.      I know that could  be really pushing the limit on  planting date...  I might be able to convince FIL to plant trit on his  bean ground.   Early OCT  plant date on those acres.     The triticale  would be used  in the spring as  a   warmup before going to  hard grass.  (If it  ever rains)     

NOW  for the  actual question!     after grazing the trit,  and giving it  some time to grow back,    does it make pretty good  hay?     I'd probably go with a  short season soybean to  plant into after haying,   or   go with a   sudan grass/cane or millet  if it looks like another dry year. (2013). This is all  under pivot irrigation.   (Yes I am aware that  $8+  corn  is  in 'play' )    I also have a  very bad feeling  about what our input costs will be next year too...)       

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Markwright
Posted 8/23/2012 21:26 (#2555271 - in reply to #2555239)
Subject: RE: triticale ? down here you really have to get

New Mexico
After it come spring. starts early and gets rank ( will get 5' tall ) if you do not take a hay cutting say mar or april. then it'll make decent graze or a grain crop too ( always seen it grazed out here btw ). you should be able to graze it all winter ie depends on snow cover etc. keep it grazed down and it won't get rank. tough to do cause it's a decent tough tonnage producer.
rancherman
Posted 8/23/2012 21:33 (#2555289 - in reply to #2555271)
Subject: Re: triticale ?

Is it planted like wheat? 1-1.5 bushel/acre? and is there varieties?
grizzmt
Posted 8/23/2012 21:33 (#2555290 - in reply to #2555271)

Northwest mo
What would cost/acre be?Never done cover crops looking for a way to get the cows through.Where to get seed? Northwest mo.
rancherman
Posted 8/23/2012 21:40 (#2555312 - in reply to #2555290)

<p>I found some at our local co-op.. it's going to be "not too weed free" and it's gonna be about 22$ cwt. Talk to your extension office... they might steer you in the right direction.   I imagine  it'll take a shot of fert to give it  a pretty good   start.     I  am  thinking   40-50 bucks/acre total?</p>

Edited by rancherman 8/23/2012 21:43
gavogel
Posted 8/23/2012 21:45 (#2555323 - in reply to #2555312)

Marion,ks
There is a guy by the name of Brock Baker that sells tricale in Peabody,KS. He owns the Baker Furniture in Newton,KS. Google Baker Furniture in Newton,KS and ask for him. We have hauled triticale down into Oklahoma for him. Don't know anything else about it.
ccjersey
Posted 8/23/2012 21:46 (#2555325 - in reply to #2555239)

Faunsdale, AL
One year experience, so just some general observations. It's not going to grow much when it's cold, I would say much better to plant it behind the soybeans and get the extra couple to 3 weeks of growth before winter sets in hard. Then when it warms up in the spring, like Mark says, it's going to take some grazing pressure to keep it from getting rank. I believe if you pull the cattle off it (assuming you have grass for them at that time), you will want to take either a silage or hay cutting off it and then plant the beans. Need to cut it in the boot stage for quality, fiber levels (and tonnage) rise rapidly as the heads emerge. If it's already dry and you need the grazing, just graze it out instead of cutting.
ccjersey
Posted 8/23/2012 21:54 (#2555341 - in reply to #2555239)

Faunsdale, AL
Yes, there's varieties, some protected and I suppose some public. Syngenta has some, including a couple we tried last fall. Theirs are called Trical XXX. They were developed under Resource Seeds Inc breeding and apparently Syngenta purchased them. I've heard of one called Frige that I assume is a public. It was cheaper. The Syngenta varieties cost $18 a bag last fall here. The Frige was more like $14 as I recall.

All in all, I wish I had planted wheat for silage/grain instead. The triticale got rust in it and the wheat nearby did more than 2X the grain yield, no rust. Might be different next time.
Markwright
Posted 8/23/2012 22:15 (#2555410 - in reply to #2555289)
Subject: Yes, is a wheat / rye hybrid, nother

New Mexico
Thought one can just use rye too. broadcast 2 bu and disk in Shallow mo. bout an inch depends on h20. both are tough stuff gonna grow where alot of things cannot.
Big Square
Posted 8/23/2012 22:43 (#2555493 - in reply to #2555323)

Eastern Half of Kansas
A brock baker wants $12.50-13.00 per 50 lbs. has it in bulk or super sacks. Cleaned ready to go. He said he wouldnt run out.

Edit: Brock recommended planting 100 lbs per acre dry land.

Edited by Big Square 8/23/2012 23:38
deereman05
Posted 8/23/2012 22:48 (#2555519 - in reply to #2555290)

Your moms house
grizzmt - 8/23/2012 20:33

What would cost/acre be?Never done cover crops looking for a way to get the cows through.Where to get seed? Northwest mo.

Try this guy at spring creek at 1800 432 5672.
ezrydr
Posted 8/24/2012 07:45 (#2555859 - in reply to #2555239)

South East South Dakota/winters Tucson, AZ
I planted oats 3/1 under a pivot this past year and baled it for oats hay on 6/10/ came back and planted a 1.5 day soybean. The beans look like they will make the mid 30's. This fall i am planting cereal rye/radish/turnip/forage brassica mix under a pivot for the sheep and cattle to graze. And then bale it off next year and come back and plant an early bean. I have looked at triticale but i believe the rye will mature earlier. I am located in SE south dakota. I am drilling 2.5 bushels an acre as i want to hay it.
Prohay
Posted 8/24/2012 20:00 (#2556796 - in reply to #2555239)

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
I swath and bale several circles here every year.I had some last may make 900 to 1300 big square bales per circle, it is fed instead of grass hay to incoming cattle . beardless best.
sc ks
Posted 8/24/2012 23:36 (#2557207 - in reply to #2556796)
Subject: Prohay

Kansas
Where are u located?
And how many acres are your circles that you bale?
Trying to figure how many tons per acre I might get
Thanks
Prohay
Posted 8/25/2012 09:35 (#2557571 - in reply to #2557207)

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
west end of oklahoma, most circles are 125 acres. we have been doing 4 to 6 dry tons . on wet tons it will do quite well 15 ton to 18 ton . slick tritt is the name , there are a few out there but some are better than others
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)