AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone have anything good to say about Kinze 3800s these days?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

K Michael
Posted 5/26/2012 19:46 (#2399607)
Subject: Does anyone have anything good to say about Kinze 3800s these days?

Putnam Co, Indiana

It seems that they were the source of much consternation (at least the 2009/10 models).  We currently have 2 12 row Kinze 3600s decked out with Precision Monsanto everything.  So if the problems with the 3800s in the past were mostly with seed monitoring and planter control that shouldn't be an issue.  And if it is it's between me and Precision Monsanto to figure it out.  Are they alright mechanically as long as you can get them to fold and unfold?  Are there any good ways to run 2x2 fert with this bar?  If it has fertilizer coulters, martin row cleaners and is running in no-till in rolling ground will an 8330 or 8430 pull it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mx270a
Posted 5/26/2012 20:08 (#2399624 - in reply to #2399607)
Subject: Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about Kinze 3800s these days?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
We have a 2009 model 3800, 24 row. The fold/unfold works fine as long as you have the transport axle at the right height. This is easy on level ground, but if you're not on level ground you have to know what height to have the transport axle at or the frame will try to peel the tire off the rim.

The variable rate hydraulic drive is my biggest complaint. Lots of lag, random quirks. I don't know if the Monsanto system will control that, or if there is still a Kinze module driving that control loop.

The telescoping drive shafts to run the group of three rows on each side at the center - those shafts can get sticky. Once they seize up, when the frame tries to flex, things bend and break.
K Michael
Posted 5/26/2012 21:10 (#2399701 - in reply to #2399624)
Subject: Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about Kinze 3800s these days?

Putnam Co, Indiana

Ok.  I think a couple 16 rows might fit our operation better.  Just a lot of 12 row equipment we're sitting on right now.  Trying to gather information before our post planting pow-wow on Tuesday.

Edited by K Michael 5/26/2012 21:11
jjjohnston32
Posted 5/26/2012 22:20 (#2399821 - in reply to #2399624)

Mx270 I have a 2010 3800 edgevac. How do you have problems unfolding and folding this machine. Do you have the super single tires. I have really uneven ground and have never had a problem unfolding or folding and rubbing the tires or the row units. The only problem i have is if one side is higher than the other side i have a hard time getting the latch to unlatch or latch. The problem there is the side without the latch is to low. The other thing is the hydraulic drive problem your having, are you absolutely positive it isnt the tractor hydraulics doing it. What Brand of tractor do you have on front of it. My 8430 deere i run the hydraulic drive in a scv. I tryed running it in the power beyond and could not get to run right. Put it in the scv and it doesnt skip a beat. Also the best thing i did this spring is buy the jump start switch from ag leader for the hydraulic drive. Makes starting from a stop so much better. No more eratic start ups. I think a lot of it is the Little jump start wheel on the tire. Also the jumpstart makes it alot faster to prime the meters. They also have new grease to grease the drive shafts with. Never had a problem with them getting sticky just make sure the shafts are well slicked up. Also with the hydraulic drive make sure you calibrate each drive. I think it is the pmv number you have to play with. Ag leaders intergra book tells you how to check them out. I think you put a manual speed in turn the rate to manual. turn one drive on hit the increase button once and then down three times the drive should be completely stopped when you do this. If it isnt decrease the pvm number for that drive. My numbers are not the same as the default when i get done calibrating mine. I think my Left side is lower and my right side is higher. The Left side gets oil first.

Is yours a asd or box. Mine is a box and im thinking of trading for a asd.
mx270a
Posted 5/27/2012 00:57 (#2400078 - in reply to #2399821)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ours is individual boxes with finger units, pulled by a MX275

It has the super single transport tires. The issue is when the transport axle is on higher ground than the regular wheels. To fold the planter up, normally we lower the transport axle until it has the center weight, then bring the wings in. In the case where the transport axle is on higher dirt, it has the weight, but still isn't low enough for the tire to clear under the frame of the wings. Here is a picture with the transport axle at the proper height:
http://lefebure.com/farming/2012/april/2517.jpg

The hydraulic drive issue is 100% a poorly written control loop in the software. It uses the GPS speed data as the primary source of speed, while GPS has a well known lag on changes in speed. Speed data is also jumpy, so it has to be smoothed in software, which adds to the lag. The result is a 1.5 to 2 second delay on speed, which causes the population to get quite ugly at times, both over and under populated. Secondly, there is a "backup" speed sensor on one of the wheels, but it appears that it is only used when the GPS speed data is unavailable. The system should have been designed to use the wheel sensor as the primary speed source and to use the GPS to auto-calibrate the wheel sensor. In addition to all that, it will throw random fits where it just won't work. Rebooting everything seems to cure that most of the time.
jjjohnston32
Posted 5/27/2012 08:09 (#2400197 - in reply to #2400078)

Does that planter only have two super singles? Am i missing something ours has four of them. There is somthing different about your planter. With ours it is impossible to hit the tires with the frame when you let it down with the planting tires on the ground. Maybe in 2010 they made all the improvements that you are missing. I know the older ones with the slide axles have some problems.

(KINZE_24_front_fold_005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments KINZE_24_front_fold_005.jpg (60KB - 440 downloads)
mx270a
Posted 5/27/2012 12:18 (#2400599 - in reply to #2400197)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yes, we only have one on tire on each side. I was under the impression that the duals were for the 32 and 36 row machines.

Is there a hydraulic interlock on yours to keep the transport axle from hitting the frame when folding? Here is what ours looks like with the transport axle all the way up for planting mode. You can see how the tire is above where the frame needs to be for folding.
http://lefebure.com/farming/2012/april/2413.jpg
jkreuziger
Posted 5/27/2012 18:27 (#2401170 - in reply to #2400599)

Juneau, WI
Duals are an option. Ours came without them and we added them later. We have a 2005. The wings roll. The frame isn't rigid enough and having the lift wheels between the rolls doesn't help counter the twist like the 3700's do. We have to run the hitch as high as possible just to keep the outside rolls flat. If you didn't need fertilizer capability the 3700 seems to be a better planter. I also noticed that our 3800 bounces a lot more especially turning around in end rows than our strip till unit which has a bauer frame. We also have trouble with the arms on the outside wheels bending from folding.
jjjohnston32
Posted 5/27/2012 23:22 (#2401670 - in reply to #2400599)

Mx270 No i dont have a hyrdraulic interlock. Mine looks like yours when its planting. When i unfold my transport tires are on the ground If they are not on the ground then my planter does not fold worth a ****. When i unfold i lower my planting tires all the way down. Then i raise my transport wheels till my back planting tires just touch with not much wieght on them. Then i lower my 3 point till the front tires touch the ground and my wings unlatch. Then i start to unfold then i raise my three point back up a bit till it looks level. Then i unfold all the way and raise my transport wheels then lower my three point. Doing it this way for two seasons and never came close to hitting my frame or my row units. I fold and unfold all the time during the day probably up to 6 times if not more a day. I would be very scared to road this planter without the dualed up super singles. It packs bad enough when folded up with my set up.. I always drive to the field entrance before i fold up.

One question for the other guy just up from this post how do you bend your tire frames on your outside wheels. YOU should have your tractor in nuetral and not park when folding and unfolding. I even drive forward slowly when folding up and reverse when unfolding to help it along. The old 7200 16 row taught me alot of these tricks.

I love this planter for the most part. If i was to buy anything other than a kinze 3800 it would be a DB60 but they are a hard to get. 1770nt seem to long for my liking.

Edited by jjjohnston32 5/27/2012 23:31
jkreuziger
Posted 5/28/2012 00:19 (#2401765 - in reply to #2401670)

Juneau, WI
I'm aware of that. As far as I know it's never been folded while in park. Maybe the newer models have stronger arms, but the ones on ours are very flimsy. The little bit I've folded the kinze I've always had to help with the tractor. I can't remember the bauer bar ever needing help from the tractor. The best part about the kinze is it has a good amount of clearance both in the field and transport. The bauer doesn't offer much for either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)