AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Holland skid loaders, good,bad or ugly?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sag0330
Posted 2/10/2012 17:09 (#2219212)
Subject: New Holland skid loaders, good,bad or ugly?

WC IA
Been looking at skid loaders for a while and recently found a new holland 885 thats seems priced right, There's not many around here so how do guys like them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1 row
Posted 2/10/2012 17:19 (#2219236 - in reply to #2219212)
Subject: RE: New Holland skid loaders, good,bad or ugly?

Columbia co. Wi
Have a LS170 and love its reliability. 5700 dairy farm hrs. Engine and hydraulics- no problems. Its weak spot is the loader pivot point near your elbows when you're in the seat. I would dig pen-pack manure(canary grass bedding, long cut) and the backend would come up and I'd drive into the pack to rip a big bucket full loose. After a couple years of abuse like that it broke. $300 at the welding shop fixed it and hasn't broke since.
DougG
Posted 2/10/2012 18:19 (#2219357 - in reply to #2219236)
Subject: Re: New Holland skid loaders, good,bad or ugly?

They are very good loaders , easy on fuel , tough !!
Cattle Feeder
Posted 2/10/2012 18:56 (#2219441 - in reply to #2219212)

no bad.no ulgy
farmboy24347
Posted 2/10/2012 19:13 (#2219488 - in reply to #2219212)

Carroll Iowa
What is the lift capacity on those? Looks like a big dog from a rep photo i looked at.
sag0330
Posted 2/10/2012 19:31 (#2219532 - in reply to #2219488)

WC IA
Thanks for the input around here its bobcat, deere or case so I wasn't sure.

Dave I found 2200 lbs at one site for the lift rating. Hows that new Oliver doing?
farmboy24347
Posted 2/10/2012 20:10 (#2219628 - in reply to #2219532)

Carroll Iowa
Pretty good.
Little guy had Jaundice so he had to wear this light belt for a few days for Photo therapy. Glad that is over!

Ya know i caught flak about Oliver for a name for 6 years, now that the time got here i think she wanted the name just as much as i did.

So now that you are a BTO Cattle feeder you need to buy a skid loader?

jd9600
Posted 2/10/2012 21:16 (#2219782 - in reply to #2219212)

ecsd
I must have got a lemon? I have a ls170 and that has been nothing but trouble. I got it and with in a year i had to put a new hyraulic drive motor, that wasn't cheap. Then the fuel pump went out, which wasn't too bad. But i was using it the other day and now the thing wants to creep forward when the levers are in nuetral. So you have to hold the levers back. The parking brake doesn't work, the hour meter went blank, as in the meter doesn't light up. All of this and it only has 2000 hrs on it. I thought i had caught up with it and i was trying get some of my money back out of it but now i am about ready to dump it and get something else, and it WON'T be a new holand. GOOD LUCK!!!
praise the lord
Posted 2/10/2012 22:03 (#2219883 - in reply to #2219212)

we have lx 665 with 8000+ dairy hours and have only been down once for the drive shaft to the hyd pump was worn out. Fixed it myself when part arrived the next day. I would not even consider anything else. Had a bobcat before that and it was a night mare for hyd leaks (had o-ring type connections) and had to use very pricey bobcat hyd oil.( New holland uses 30 weight motor oil.) Deere skid steers were built 10 miles from home and were not even in the same ballpark in my opinion. Salesman wanted us to try a cat and was very impressed with the hyd. capacity but did not like joy stick control for steering. If you were needing to use attachments that use hyds then I might look at cats because they sure have experience with hyd pumps in construction equip.
sag0330
Posted 2/10/2012 22:25 (#2219948 - in reply to #2219628)

WC IA
Yeah have to clean up after that heifer somehow lol

I would have been happy with a deere 250 series 2 but the guy didn't want to sell it when I wanted to buy it. I heard he gave it away when he traded for a new one

Glad he's doing better now, I told you if you got it on the birth certificate before she was awake it would have to stay, could have even gotten vincent for the middle name

Edited by sag0330 2/10/2012 22:29
RodInNS
Posted 2/10/2012 22:49 (#2220005 - in reply to #2219212)

885 is an old machine today as skid steers go... but they are a good loader.
Electrical can get troublesome on them after a while... and I have trouble keeping wheel bearings on my LS170... but it's also seen a lot of abuse and spent it's life in mud/manure.

Rod
hltpfeeders
Posted 2/11/2012 00:23 (#2220166 - in reply to #2220005)

NE Sodak.
Don't mean to intrude your post but I have a LS160 and really like it, My on coming problem is ( it's hard to explain) the left side isn't right (thats not a joke) it seems weak. When I put both levers in full forward the left side all of a sudden won't keep up. It kind of makes A loud growling noise and all of a sudden it will take off. Help if you can please. Going in the shop real soon. 3150 Hrs.
RodInNS
Posted 2/11/2012 10:09 (#2220612 - in reply to #2220166)

Get the wheels off the ground on that side... jack it up on both ends... then see how much slop is in the wheels. I've had the splines wear off the end of the motor shafts on mine... and it starts out as a slip here and there... then a bigger slip... then ZZZZZZZZZZ. and you go nowhere. Basically what happenes is the bolt that retains the pinion shaft to the motor shaft backs out and it gets loose on the tapered spline... then all hell breaks loose.
Beyond that... you may have a problem in the hydro. Is the oil temperature rising quickly? Or is that motor getting hotter than the other?
They also make a pretty deep growling noise when the pumps cavitate or run out of oil... but that should bring on a 30 second shutdown...

Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)