AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versatile 276
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SNB
Posted 12/31/2010 07:55 (#1517001)
Subject: Versatile 276

Sussex Corner, New Brunswick

Local dealer recently got one of these on trade. Have seen them around, never been near one, but rarely see them on farms. Seem to be popular as utility tractors with landscaping/snow removal.

Any body have experience with this model? Farm use? Chore tractor? Field work? Maintenance issues, things to look for. Has front and rear 3pt and loader.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
ratlakefarms
Posted 12/31/2010 08:38 (#1517053 - in reply to #1517001)
Subject: Re: Versatile 276

La Glace Alberta Canada
We have a 276 and when we had cows we used it a lot. Now we don't but it is still handy all around tractor. We use it for picking rocks, running augers, goes on the grain dryer, and in the winter the snowblower goes on it. We do have a 25ft swather header for it that we use once in awhile, but other than that we don't use it for field work we leave that to the big tractors.
scott nelsen
Posted 12/31/2010 08:40 (#1517054 - in reply to #1517001)

Leeds, North Dakota
They are okay, parts might be a issue, drop boxes are a pita, spendy to work on, I would look at a 9030 or tv140 or 145 many improvements, Scott.
ratlakefarms
Posted 12/31/2010 08:51 (#1517077 - in reply to #1517054)

La Glace Alberta Canada
Forgot to say the main trouble place is the articulating area where all the electrial, and hoses go through. Make sure nothing is rubbed through, and everything is tied tight together so everthing moves as one big bundle.
Andover
Posted 12/31/2010 09:29 (#1517132 - in reply to #1517001)

Guelph, Ontario
These tractors were way ahead of their time.
Once you get used to them they are as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
That being said that model had a design flaw in the center axle housing were it met the drop box. The mating area on the original axles was too small and they would either stretch the bolts or break the flanges when they were tested with loader work. I know a lot of these models have been upgraded to the newer heavier style but it is something I would check.
The other areas that are a problem are the pivots in the articulating joint and the engine end axle, These pivots were too light and even with regular grease tend to wear the bushings into the housings.
Another post said to look at later models and I would partly agree with that up to the TV140's. After that model change the machine was made larger and not nearly as well balanced for most applications.
There are large farms near here that have two or three Bi-Directional's and what I have observed if they are sitting in a row and a man is sent to pick stones he will always chose the 9030 or 276's over the newer TV 140 or 145's.
My 2 cents worth.
Versatile Farmer
Posted 12/31/2010 09:42 (#1517161 - in reply to #1517001)
Subject: RE: Versatile 276

Southeast North Dakota
If you can find one that has been used for it's purpose and not a payloader like some people think they are you will like it. There are a lot of those bi-directionals that were used for way more than they were intended and are in pretty tough shape.
havin'funfarming
Posted 12/31/2010 10:17 (#1517220 - in reply to #1517001)

Manitoba, Canada
All models of bi-directionals have been very popular around here for years for use as a chore tractor with beef farmers. I never had one myself but they are supposed to be very handy as a loader tractor. The issues stated above were the weak points that showed up when people started carrying 2 bales at a time on the loader day after day. The reason I didn't get one is I use a loader as well as a bale shredder every day. I would have had to either take the loader off every day or hook the shredder up to the engine end and then visibility of the shredder would be a problem. Visibility is great for the loader end but that's the same end I would like any implement hooked up to. Being hydrostatic I've never seen any used for field work where any amount of pulling power is needed. Town has one now (9030 I think) they use around town for odd jobs, looks like a great snowblower tractor for sure.
Farmer Brown
Posted 12/31/2010 11:16 (#1517355 - in reply to #1517001)

Nebraska Panhandle
I bought mine in 1995. It's a 1988 276 generation 2 series. It has been a great outfit. Used it every day in the winter to feed cows with big round bales and general loader work. Have a 14 ft. hay head for it that works great. Have snowblower that goes on it also. Haven't had any real issues with it other then the shifting cable needs replaced about every 4 years or so. Keep it well greased and maintained and they run a long time. Mine has the cummins engine in it. Make a great loader tractor with the 4wd. When i bought mine the dealer said you need to be able to walk backwards and chew bubble gum at the same time as not all people get on to running them. It doesn't take long to figure out the loader which you run with your feet or you can use levers if you want. They are real good on fuel. Sold the cow herd this year so mine will just get used now for snow blowing and around the farm loader work. It has 4612 original hrs on it and is in great shape. The generation 2 has the heavier axles on it, if that one has them go for it as they are a great tractor.
barneyfv
Posted 1/10/2011 23:52 (#1540676 - in reply to #1517220)
Subject: RE: 9030

I have been looking at the 9030 model. I found one on tractor house, that was labeled wrong, and got removed. I have added the pics of it before being removed. I would like to talk to people that use them. Might you tell which town has one?

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 001.pdf (1438KB - 728 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)