AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I cross state line with farm plates
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

new8010guy
Posted 8/30/2010 15:42 (#1338990)
Subject: Can I cross state line with farm plates

Southern Illinois
I am running farm plates on my semi's and need to go from illionis into indiana for a one time trip. Can I do this with the plates I have?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pofarmer
Posted 8/30/2010 16:05 (#1339008 - in reply to #1338990)
Subject: Re: Can I cross state line with farm plates

Call the state you'll be driving into.
Mike SE IL
Posted 8/30/2010 16:11 (#1339016 - in reply to #1338990)
Subject: RE: Can I cross state line with farm plates

West Union, Illinois

I am told it depends n how far you are going, what you are hauling, and the mood of the officer who stops you. I forget how far you are legal, but there is also the fuel tax issue as well as DOT regs because you are interstate.   You will probably need a medical card.  Log book may not be needed if you are returning home the same day.

The phrase to burn in your brain when Indiana DOT stops you is "I am a farmer driving my own truck hauling my own products." This gets past a lot of Indiana DOT regs if you are from Indiana.  From Illinois ... depends on the mood.

mmaddox
Posted 8/30/2010 16:44 (#1339048 - in reply to #1339016)

Indiana "farm" plates are stated as good for 125 miles from "home". Exempt products being hauled will "usually" allow you to get by. Route will also make a difference on how much risk you incurr.
Pofarmer
Posted 8/30/2010 16:51 (#1339056 - in reply to #1339048)

Only problem is "home" is in State, at least in MO.
proacres
Posted 8/30/2010 17:41 (#1339103 - in reply to #1339056)

Lancing, TN
As long as truck has IFTA sticker and current farm tags and you are hauling farm goods (your own), you can drive in any state with a cdl and health card. Our trucks have run from FL to ND with farm plates for over 10 years and have never had a problem.
binderpower856
Posted 8/30/2010 18:44 (#1339161 - in reply to #1338990)

Shelbina, Missouri (NEMO)
Call me stupid, but I'd just do it. What's the chances of getting caught that one time, and if you do, just do as I do, and play dumb... Works 90% of the time... lol

MO IFTA reporting has went to an all internet based system. After 2 quarters in a row of them not receiving my reports correctly, and of them assigning me a $50 fine each time, I called them and told them to stick their IFTA tags where the sun don't shine. Haven't had a problem since!

Bill
caterpillar 953
Posted 8/30/2010 22:34 (#1339648 - in reply to #1339161)

South Central Illinois
I checked last year about going to Indy from Illinois and Department of Revenue assured me no ifta sticker required. I think the dot number would be required when crossing state lines. I would try to pick a route that bypasss all scales, as these are the usual places for questioning. Other than that they said farm plates were honored in their state the same as Illinois. Just made two trips this past month with no problems. Good Luck!
hesston8465a
Posted 8/30/2010 23:01 (#1339725 - in reply to #1338990)
Subject: RE: Here is what I ....

Parsons Kansas
was told when I asked a DOT officer about this very same thing. I asked the question a few months ago when I was interested in buying a truck.

Now bear with as I'm in Kansas don't know about IL or IN.

Told him I wanted to buy a truck to haul hay with locally in my own state. I wanted to tag the truck with farm plates. He said as long as I stay in Kansas I could go anywhere in the state with my farm plates and be legal. I needed a CDL (I think) but didn't need a medical card.

As soon as I cross a state line, lets say to go pick up some equipment I bought, he said the rules change. Need a CDL, medical card, log book, DOT number, and bascially follow all the rules as a commercial driver would. Didn't ask him about IFTA. I would assume a guy could probably buy a fuel permit for a day or two to allow you to go and do whatever you are doing and get back home. By the time I got off the phone with him I was so mind boggled I had a headache and was more confused then before I called him.

To file for a IFTA I had to have a DOT number and I really don't want to go through the hassel of that yet. I haven't bought a truck yet but still looking for one.

As other replies on here suggest if it were me I would plan my trip carefully and go get what I wanted. Good luck Darren
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)