AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best GPS for SP sprayer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

zeefarmer9
Posted 7/31/2010 23:18 (#1295872)
Subject: Best GPS for SP sprayer

Swift Current, Sask
We bought a new-to-us SP sprayer. We are using an Outback S2 lightbar for guidance now, but would like to upgrade to a brand that has a display screen. We don't have the option for auto steer, since it is a truck mounted sprayer, and with 42" tires on the front, it turns too hard for EZSteer, etc.

We have nice large, open fields with straight sides (80-160 ac). The times I would like a display is doing a second pass on the headlands, and the few corners/small fields we do have. With the Outback on countour mode, I find it takes too long to stop logging a pass when you turn around to line up properly for the next pass.

So, what would be a good option? Thought about a EZ Guide, as it would be nice to have auto steer in multiple pieces of equipment throughout the year. Or, tying in an Outback 360. Are either screens big enough to follow on contour?

These are the only two I had considered so far. Any others that may be a better fit?

Thanks,

Jerrod
Photobucket
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Smoothlander
Posted 8/1/2010 09:59 (#1296197 - in reply to #1295872)
Subject: RE: Best GPS for SP sprayer

What other equipment and operations would you like to run it on?
Cliff SEIA
Posted 8/1/2010 10:20 (#1296223 - in reply to #1295872)

We've had an original Outback in our sprayer since '03 and have two EZ Guide 500s.  The Outback is alot easier to use and is more reliable.  What I did for mapping with the sprayer is I bought a used Raven Viper II off the classifieds on this site three years ago and I really like it, it has a big enough screen that I can spray just by the map on it in small or odd shaped places where it's not practical to set a new A/B line with the Outback. 
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/1/2010 11:02 (#1296291 - in reply to #1295872)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

My first sprayer was an old pickup with homemade booms with tires at the outer edge of the booms that kept the boom at the proper height and left just a hint of a track. Guidance consisted of stopping when I turned around and backing up to find the boom track and then making a guess as to where I needed to be. When I got to where I thought I should be, I'd pick up the row and follow that to the other end of the field. Look around for just an instant and you'd lose the row, so you had to concentrate. After a day of spraying, I'd lay down for the night's sleep and all I'd see is wheat rows coming at me. Of course, since my drills didn't have markers and were wide enough that parallax really made it hard to judge where you needed to be when seeding, the rows I was using for guidance were pretty crooked by the time you got to the far edge of the field. Crooked wheat rows made for crooked sprayer rows and crooked combine passes -- not the best.

When I upgraded the sprayer to a Coupe with foamer, I could use the foam to pick up the next pass and confirm that I was in the proper row but just a little bit of cross wind would drift the foam and exclusively following the foam would double the error introduced by the drifting foam, so I ended up making judgments about allowance for foam drift and still relying on wheat rows that were usually crooked. It didn't require the concentration of rows only, so at least I didn't see approaching rows in my sleep, after I got a foamer.

When I finally put guidance and auto-steer on the seeding rig, things got a whole lot easier because then I had straight rows that I could have used with the sprayer & combine. It wasn't a big deal to mount the EZ-Guide and EZ-Steer in both the combine and sprayer though, so that's what happened and aside from the sprayer not having to fight it's way out of crooked wheat rows, it wasn't as big a deal as it would have been if neither combine or sprayer had auto-steer.

The EZ-Guide+ didn't really have a large enough screen for the coverage map to be really useful to me, so I upgraded to a 500 and hooked up wires so it painted when the air-seeder clutch was energized or the booms on the sprayer were turned on. When done like that, it makes a really nice map like this on of seeding.

seeding 

When I'm seeding, I always set either a straight A-B or a curved A-B for each edge of the field. When spraying headland passes, I normally don't take time to do an A-B, but rather just free-hand them and use the coverage map to find the right row to get the proper overlap & coverage. I then re-use the A-B on the long edge that I used for seeding and my sprayer doesn't have to fight out of any furrow. If you didn't have auto-steer, it wouldn't be a big deal to just use the coverage map to stay in the right row. It is so much nicer and more accurate than foam will ever be.

As far as using EZ-Steer on your truck sprayer; I wouldn't bet that it won't work. My 218 Coupe has the wide lo-pro tires and no power steering. It works very well with EZ-Steer.

paragon82
Posted 8/2/2010 00:38 (#1297432 - in reply to #1295872)
Subject: Re: Best GPS for SP sprayer

Terradox Sitewinder is byfar the best way to go. They are hard to buy right now. The company went broke a few years ago. They got bought out and the owner is still selling product but you kind of have to beg for it. I have owned three of them and never been disappointed. I don't know of any system out there that has the features of the Sitewinder. Good luck with your decision!
http://www.terradox.com/home/index.php
zeefarmer9
Posted 8/2/2010 01:08 (#1297446 - in reply to #1296197)

Swift Current, Sask
I would like to run it in the combine, sp swather and maybe on the airdrill/4wd tractor, but it may stay as a dedicated unit, as we are using the sprayer more than what we thought we would. If it would move, it would nice if it was quick and easy. We don't need RTK (maybe in the future??), so overlap isn't a big concern. It would all be equipment over 30', and terrain compensation would be nice too.
pbutler
Posted 8/2/2010 17:39 (#1298029 - in reply to #1295872)

Macon, IL
I don't know much about the two you are using, but I have two Cruizers and they are really easy to use, price is right, touch screen works nice. Seems like would be a good match.
cenALfarm
Posted 8/2/2010 22:32 (#1298543 - in reply to #1295872)

Selma, Alabama
What type of sprayer rate controller is on the truck now? If you are using a raven controller, you might take a look at the Envisio Pro from Raven. You could do away with the 460 or what ever controller is in there and go all through the Envisio. Another option would be an Ag Leader Edge display. This would give you teh plat form to go to an OnTrac in a tractor or combine and have the capability for a yield monitor, as well. This would allow for variable rate control and auto boom shut-off. Just my 2 cents!
cenALfarm
Posted 8/2/2010 22:33 (#1298545 - in reply to #1298543)

Selma, Alabama
With the AutoFarm/Ag Leader ParaDyme antenna you would get terrain compensation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)