AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1000 Bushel Grain Cart?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KSFMBOY
Posted 7/11/2010 19:23 (#1269218)
Subject: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?

Has anyone ran the new Xtreme Grain Cart from Unverferth? Looking at going to 1000+ bushel cart and would like some feedback. Trying to decide between a 1082 single auger, 1084/1194 double auger and thought this may provide the benefits of both. What I don't like about the 1082 is the height for unloading on the go at the same time I don't like the added wear points of the double auger of the 1084/1194. Any feedback would be apprecieated. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
berkley
Posted 7/11/2010 19:40 (#1269239 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: Re: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?

Brownville Nebraska
we run 3 1082's and if you run tall duals on combine and watch the contour of the land a guy can get by pretty good. Have had a couple close calls but we almost always dump into graincarts and not trucks it just takes a good combine operator to have a good plan of attack when in the river bluffs and bottoms with w-ditches.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/11/2010 19:48 (#1269246 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: RE: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?....pics

Chebanse, IL.....

We've had a 1084 for a few yrs now. It will be replaced by a like type Unverferth. The movable pivoting auger allows a lot of unload leeway re. orientation of cart to truck/wagon. We also used the "corner auger" 1082 last yr. We decided we're most happy w/our Avalanche (1084) type cart. We did have the bottom bearing go out of the incline auger, but we've put a lot of bushels thru it also. We still had the original factory shear bolt in the pto when the bearing went out. Probably the biggest potential problem w/the Avalanche is the unload speed. An inexperienced (or inattentive) cart operator can put a lot of corn on the ground if they don't anticipate the fill rate of the 2-auger system. Of course, there is a gate control to throttle the amount of grain on the horizontal auger. You are correct, the lower "eave height" of the 2-auger cart (Avalanche) makes it much easier to load the cart also. I'm sure the corner auger carts are fine, we just decided to stay with the 2 auger system after using both of them.

Here's a YouTube from a couple of yrs ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1uiLtxBNw

Smoothlander
Posted 7/11/2010 20:38 (#1269300 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: RE: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?

Been using a 9200 Unverferth cart for about 10 years and have had no problems with it. You are correct about the height, we would like to put a tarp on ours but I am afraid that I would hit the bows with the auger. I do like the simpleness of the single auger cart but I can see where the double auger cart is nice for filling trucks.

Dirt Rancher
Posted 7/11/2010 20:54 (#1269325 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: 1115 Xtreme cart

West of Dalhart, Texas
We bought an 1115 Xtreme just before wheat harvest. We really like the way the walking tandems ride compared to single wheels. I think they may help with metal cracking out problems we've had in the past due to crossing sprinkler tracks.
Lookingglass
Posted 7/11/2010 23:49 (#1269670 - in reply to #1269246)
Subject: RE: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?....pics

Southwest Illinois
Eve height difference between the 1100 bu 2 auger Brent cart and the single auger 1050 J and M cart is 1". 5-10 years ago that was different. The newer bodies on these carts allow lower side height. In fact the current 850 bu J&M is based on the same body design for probably close to 20 years. The 1000 bu and up carts use a longer body and have lower eve heights than the smaller carts.

Lookingglass
Posted 7/11/2010 23:57 (#1269681 - in reply to #1269218)

Southwest Illinois
If I were going with a 2 auger system I would go to a Kinze, having had one for years they are just built like a tank. If you check the side height specs there is very little difference between the newer 1 auger and 2 auger carts. We like the corner auger as you don't have to look as far back to see what you are loading into. I think it is a big advantage especially after dark. The single auger carts have less parts and augers to reflight, plus are cheaper to buy. I can't comment on the Extreme cart but the transition in the angle has to impact wear and performance. I may be all wrong on that, but I won't buy believe it until I see a few that are 5 years old or so. The newer 20 or 22" single auger carts will unload in a flash. You probably cant go wrong with any of the big 3 cart mfgs. They are all good.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/12/2010 06:32 (#1269807 - in reply to #1269681)

Chebanse, IL.....

We considered the Kinze recently also. Kinze uses the same height splashboard all the way around the cart. Brent (aka Unverferth) uses a higher splashboard on the "far" (LH) side of the cart to allow for the fact that most combines probably can't see over the mount of corn they make. They'll tend to push corn off the far side of the cart. But, a higher board on the far side helps contain that pushed corn.

Also, I don't believe the Kinze auger moves up & down, does it?

WD45 Fred
Posted 7/12/2010 07:16 (#1269836 - in reply to #1269325)

Stayner, Ontario, Simcoe County
Purchased a 1082 Bent in 2007 and have had no problems or break downs.Augers still look new. Also have a tarp on this unit.

Edited by WD45 7/12/2010 07:22
swne
Posted 7/12/2010 08:41 (#1269921 - in reply to #1269670)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I was going to mention the same thing about the 1050 J & M. I bought one this year and am using it for wheat harvest and absolutely love it. Like you said, the single auger carts are not as high up as they used to be.
KSFMBOY, compare the dimensions before you buy.
Lookingglass
Posted 7/12/2010 09:12 (#1269971 - in reply to #1269807)

Southwest Illinois
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 7/12/2010 05:32

We considered the Kinze recently also. Kinze uses the same height splashboard all the way around the cart. Brent (aka Unverferth) uses a higher splashboard on the "far" (LH) side of the cart to allow for the fact that most combines probably can't see over the mount of corn they make. They'll tend to push corn off the far side of the cart. But, a higher board on the far side helps contain that pushed corn.

Also, I don't believe the Kinze auger moves up & down, does it?

They now have an adjustable spout just like most others, if that is what you mean. Ours was close to 10 years old and did not have that available then. I agree the high far side keeps you from running it over, but we had a tarp on that side and I think wemight have run it over a little one or two times. The nice thing is it allows you to dump on either side if it just happens to be sitting somewhere. I also forgot to mention earlier Killbros makes a cart very similar to Kinze as well. Just don't see many of them.
Millhouse
Posted 7/12/2010 11:41 (#1270101 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: Do any of you road these carts full to binsites?

South-central Nebraska
The higher speeds, I'm only talking 10-12 mph, down the road can wear and tear a cart and its undercarriage as much as field conditions. I'm always trying to figure out the most cart I can get for "safely" using as a truck going from field to binsite a couple miles away. I'm guessing anything with a walking tandem would be best? Currently running two J & M 750s, would consider going 875 or bigger. Kinze seems the highest priced. I would rather fill a 1000 bu cart not quite full verses a 850-900 cart all the way.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/12/2010 20:00 (#1270523 - in reply to #1269971)

Chebanse, IL.....

No, I meant the entire auger pivots up & down, from a near vertical position, to almost touching the ground. You control it hydraulically. It really makes filling a long semi much easier if the semi isn't quite square in the field, or if the trailer is on the road while the cart is in the field. We thought perhaps that feature (which we've used for several years) could be given up in trade for the corner auger increased visibility. However, after using the neighbor's new(!) corner auger cart last fall, we weren't willing to give up that option any longer. The 2-auger carts are more expensive however. But, worth it for our uses.

If you watch the YouTube in my previous post, you'll see how the auger goes up & down, I believe.

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 7/12/2010 20:01
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/12/2010 20:02 (#1270527 - in reply to #1270101)
Subject: RE: Do any of you road these carts full to binsites?

Chebanse, IL.....
No, our cart doesn't go down the road loaded.
swne
Posted 7/13/2010 08:01 (#1271206 - in reply to #1270101)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I have a J & M 105 with the 900 tires on it and it handles very well but I would still not road it a couple of miles with more than 500 bushels. You can sure dot it but I think you would get a lot of tire wear. I like mine for putting 8-900 bushels on and having the capacity to put nearly 1,100 on waithing for a semi.
jpmill79
Posted 8/6/2010 14:03 (#1303549 - in reply to #1269218)
Subject: RE: 1000 Bushel Grain Cart?

Northwest Illinois
It sounds like the UM Extreme cart is perfect for you. I sell Unverferth. The Extremes are brand new for 2010. We have a few going out this fall. Unverferth looked at the two major drawbacks to the 1000+ bu corner auger carts and fixed them. They were slow to unload and too tall. The UM 1115 Extreme is only a couple inches taller than the Brent 1194 or equivalent UM 1110. The unload rate is the fastest of any corner auger cart (still not as fast as the double augers, but close). They fixed the height issue by actually putting a slight 'bend' in the auger (using a u-joint at the fold) and then having it fold across the front of the hopper like a double auger cart (rather than down the left side cutting into hopper capacity). Since there is no floor auger force feeding the vertical unload auger like a double auger cart the Extremes now use a stepped 22"/ 20" auger design with the lower auger force feeding the smaller upper auger to keep it full all the way to the top. You still get all the corner auger benefits like one less auger to worry about and much better visibility when unloading into a truck. There is a hydraulic adjustable downspout with an incredible range of motion. They are also cheaper than the equivalent double auger carts. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too. The wheel and tire options are identical to the double auger carts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)