AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flexicoil Meter Drive Help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WesterOne
Posted 4/26/2010 21:22 (#1175833)
Subject: Flexicoil Meter Drive Help

Canmore Ab. Canada
OK... I'm Stumped.
One of the guys took apart the meter drive on our flexicoil 2320 tank to check it out after reading the post a few days ago. Now it doesn't seem right. the stuff in the box is correct but the two sprockets on the back, outside of the box won't grip the shaft.
Are the bearings in the parts #30 and #32 one way ratcheting bearings or just bearings?
Is the stator ring on shaft #31 supposed to be fastened to the shaft? Ours slides off... now...?
What drives this thing? It worked untill we started fixing... Now it slips.
What am I missing here? Feel kinda stupid like the answer is staring me in the face but I can't see it. Dan...
The ratcheting arms in the meter box are good and drive the shaft but nothing seems to bite on the end going to the meter. I hope this Pic posts. Thanks. Dan...

(001FLEX-2705.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001FLEX-2705.gif (41KB - 345 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
combine ken
Posted 4/27/2010 00:19 (#1176235 - in reply to #1175833)
Subject: RE: Flexicoil Meter Drive Help

southern Alberta
Number #30 to #32 is the shut off clutch for that roller. The arm from part #33 drops down and catches the teeth on #32 and stops it. Inside #30 and #32 is a spring # 16, which when installed corectly, the torque from the drive tightens it on the shaft. If that was taken apart is it possible to install the spring in backwards.Then it will slip on the shaft. The tang on the clutch spring goes into a hole on both #30 and #32, if it is not seated into the hole in both halfs it will have no resistance to make it work. Bolt #6 holds the whole thing on the shaft. #15 is an O-ring to keep the dust out. Isn"t #32 up against the meter box? Clear as mud? The old Melroe/Kirchman drills had the same type of drive clutch.
WesterOne
Posted 4/27/2010 06:54 (#1176374 - in reply to #1176235)

Canmore Ab. Canada
Hi Ken,
Thanks for replying.
The spring, #16, seems to be reversable. It works the same each way. If that spring grabs the stator ring on the shaft, #31, then that little tang from the spring drives gear #30 which drives the seed roller??? If that is correct that little tang doesn't seem like much to drive the whole roller? It must.
If that is true then I think I know what is wrong... My guy pulled the stator ring on #31 off with the gears and cleaned it up to spin freely on the shaft when he reassembled it.
I too thought it was just a spacer but it must be press fit to the shaft??? Does that sound right?
Thanks for the help. Dan...
trippjn
Posted 4/27/2010 13:11 (#1176722 - in reply to #1176374)

North Central Oklahoma
I think you are fighting the same problem we were on our 1720 (John Deere 787). The ring on shaft 31 is not supposed to slip or turn. Ours was on both gear drive boxes. Once I figured it out I didn't have enough nerve to tear it down and I needed it fixed yesterday. I was able to get a new box delivered over night to Oklahoma faster and cheaper than my local dealer could order parts and repair it. About a week waiting for individual parts, a dealer educating himself at $72.00 an hour, down time and then I wouldn't have bet the dealer would have had it back together right. These air carts are somewhat of an oddity this far south and dealers aren't trained and experienced to work on them here. I ordered a new gear drive box and was running the next evening. It took two seasons and we stumped both the local Flexicoil and John Deere repairmen before I was able to correctly diagnose and fix our problem. Ours was failing sporadically before we got it fixed. Had hell finding the actual culprit. I bet we used up about eight of those #16 springs in your pic. Was really nice to be able to go to the field after fixing it and just plant.
trippjn
Posted 4/27/2010 13:18 (#1176730 - in reply to #1176722)

North Central Oklahoma
Sorry I went into a long story. You need to order shaft #31. After re-reading your post I am confident that you are having the same problem. like I said in my earlier post that ring on shaft #31 is not supposed to turn. It is pressed on and fails. They should have set it on with some splines so that it can't slip and turn. Let me know how it works out.

Joe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)