AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agridry Gravity grain spreader
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SDGREEN
Posted 1/6/2010 23:06 (#1007426)
Subject: Agridry Gravity grain spreader

S.Dakota
Does anyone have experience with an AgriDry gravity driven grain bin spreader, Good or bad? I looked at them at a farm show today. Are they an improvement over the motor driven spin spreaders?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gostate
Posted 1/6/2010 23:14 (#1007451 - in reply to #1007426)
Subject: RE: Agridry Gravity grain spreader

western iowa
They look really slick to me. I think they would be good if they could handle higher capacity augers.
SEED GUY
Posted 1/6/2010 23:49 (#1007511 - in reply to #1007451)

Central Iowa
Wondered if they would work in 36 ft bin with hot grain coming from shivers. Electric ones don't spread very well with low flow rates.
Lookingglass
Posted 1/6/2010 23:54 (#1007517 - in reply to #1007426)
Subject: Re: Agridry Gravity grain spreader

Southwest Illinois
They look decent, but I haven't heard of anyone using them. We have several of the DMC gravity spreaders with the rotating arm. It is cheaper than the AGridry and a load better than the spin levels or any mechanical sreader. $2000 is a lot to spend on a small spreader.
Ten-Four
Posted 1/7/2010 01:14 (#1007603 - in reply to #1007426)

EC Nebraska
(Note: If using an auger to fill your bin your results may be different) We have one in a large bin... We have used it for two seasons. I wouldn't recommend it. In a perfect situation where your grain flows into the bin at the same rate ALL of the time I suppose it would work better. We fill the bin with a leg and the grain is running into the spreader at a high rate of speed by the time it makes the drop. I have never been able to get it to work like they say it should. The adjustment ring has to be raised fairly high to make the corn boil over it like it should. The only problem is that with the ring that high it shoots right under the ring when you begin dumping and never will back up and begin to boil. If you squeeze down the "funnel" it backs everything up and overflows over the top of the spreader. If you lower the ring not much goes down the chutes and it all falls in the center of the bin. I have crawled up and down the side of the bin with this spreader more than any other. Another thing....If it happens to rain and a little bit of wet grain from the pit/hopper gets into the spreader, it plugs all of the chutes and there you are hanging into the manhole trying to spin the spreader fast enough to get the wet grain to slide down the chutes...Not as fun as it sounds... I will say that Agri-Dry, as a company, has been very good to work with. We have a couple of their fan control and they work FANTASTIC... I would recommend them to anyone with larger bins. They have even offered to come out to Nebraska and help get this spreader set. The only problem with that is they would need more notice than what we have been able to give them in order to accomplish this.
SteveOH
Posted 1/7/2010 06:41 (#1007729 - in reply to #1007426)

I've had one in a 24 ft drying bin since 1982 and have had real good luck with it. you have too be real fussy setting up the grain flow in so that if it is less than full capacity the flow in is centered. The angle of the legs can be varied on ours but that is a job ,unless the bin is full so we set for about 25% moisture and work around that. Does a very good job spreading fines .. If your sample has a lot of cob pieces or stalk you may have some of the chutes along the side of the legs plugwhich will throw most of the grain out the end. Over all the are a low maintenance good worling spreader.
G2Farms
Posted 1/7/2010 08:26 (#1007817 - in reply to #1007426)

I have a one in a 48ft bin I am thinking about selling.....it works good in dry corn 18% or less, it will work good in corn wetter than this but it takes some patience to get it set right. If you're interested call 563-357-9876
UofILdropout
Posted 1/7/2010 08:45 (#1007844 - in reply to #1007729)

central crop district in IL
We have Agri-Dry in 4 bins and GSI spreaders in 2 others and have taken most of the little eclectic ones out. I would agree with both Ten-Four and SteveOH. If we were not dropping hot out of a grain leg I think they would work alot better. Also a continuous flow dryer with changing unload rates is a challenge. The biggest problem is if the grain does not hit the spreader right it will fill unevenly. It is hard to get the millwrights to understand what and how it needs to be done till you are actually filling the bin- Not the time you want to deal with it. The idea is a no-brainer, is just does work in reality as easy as one would think it should. Better spreading of fines is one of the factors that has allowed us to remove our screener from our leg.
SDGREEN
Posted 1/7/2010 08:45 (#1007845 - in reply to #1007426)

S.Dakota
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I should stay with the spin spreaders we have now. They will do an ok job if you are careful to center the flow into them. Seems there probably are certain conditions where they all are challenged.
Lookingglass
Posted 1/7/2010 09:22 (#1007911 - in reply to #1007845)

Southwest Illinois
Check this one out. http://www.dmc-davidmanufacturing.com/english/spreader.html We use it in all our corn bins coming out of the dryer. Flows range from 400bph to 1000bph. They compensate well for the flow change as the spreder arm speeds up or slows down according to flow. 2 years ago we started putting them in bean bins that we fill with an auger. With a 10" auger they work real well. With a 13" auger you overfeed it and you get a small pile in the middle. We have the 3050 models and the last one we put in a 42' bin cost around 800-900 if I recall correctly. They now have a 10000 model that will handle the big augers. I suspect they are more money. We can keep up in beans so we usually use a 10" of run the big auger a little slower. I am slowly getting rid of electric spreaders. The spin levels work fine if you have more volume, but if you have lower volume coming from a dryer they do a pretty poor job, but what do you expect for $350.
KDD
Posted 1/7/2010 10:24 (#1008079 - in reply to #1007426)

Leesburg, Ohio
We debated for a long time about putting one in a new 48' bin this fall, and talked to alot of unhappy users that convinced us to stay with an electric.

Without exception, everyone we talked to said they will work great IF they are adjusted to the grain flow and the stream is centered. They also said, without exception, that it is a total PITA and sometimes impossible to get it set right.

They all said it does a good job of spreading fines, IF you can get them adjusted.

In our situation with a 10" downspout from a leg in the way, and an airline coming in at an angle from a continuous-flow dryer, and no good way to make adjustments, we opted for a 6000 bu/hr electric from Farm Fans. We found that it does alot nicer job of leveling than all our older, smaller Farm Fans 2500 bu/hr spreaders.

Like the poster above, we also put in a Bullseye fan controller from Agridry, and so far it has been great. Eli, the owner of the company has been good to work with, but we've really had no issues with the Bullseye controller. We will probably add more Bullseye units to our existing bins.

We address the fines issue by coring the bins.
SDGREEN
Posted 1/7/2010 12:14 (#1008343 - in reply to #1007911)

S.Dakota
This is why I really like this site. So much knowlege out there from lots of people willing to help you out. Thanks to all who posted replies.
sport
Posted 1/7/2010 13:45 (#1008538 - in reply to #1008079)

nebraska
I have one in a 36 ft bin that seems to work better than the one in my 48 foot bin. Even if they are spreading uneven, you are still getting a good spread of your fines. I have found that when the bin is uneven the grain is easier to level than my electrics. You just hold the spreader from spinning with a shovel and divert the grain to the legs where the grain is low. I vary rarely scoop a bin flat with my agridry spreaders. Flow rate and dropping in the middle really helps, but that is true on my sukup electrics also.
KDD
Posted 1/7/2010 14:29 (#1008646 - in reply to #1008538)

Leesburg, Ohio
"Holding it with a shovel" just isn't an option on many grain setups with a leg or air lines plumbed into the bin lids.

Glad it's working for you...you're the only one I've ever heard who has one that likes it.
magnumrider
Posted 1/7/2010 21:17 (#1009770 - in reply to #1007911)

NorthEast Iowa,
which model of the DMC spreader are you using, we are filling bins with hot grain and 5" air system 300-800 bu/hr
trek46
Posted 1/8/2010 15:10 (#1011047 - in reply to #1008646)

KS
There are many happy people in Iowa and NE I've talked too, and will be buy one to see how it works. If I don't like it I'll ask for a refund.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)