AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

small scale trains?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

granto
Posted 12/13/2009 19:39 (#964789)
Subject: small scale trains?

18c ditch system
Anyone have a small train hobby? met a guy on my trip to Germany that claims he has 300k invested in his little train setup.. he has it in his two stall garage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joeatdawn
Posted 12/13/2009 20:29 (#964895 - in reply to #964789)
Subject: Re: small scale trains?

I'd believe it. I used to be in a Radio control model airplane club where there were some guys with a 10-20k annual habit. Scale railroading is an art and a science. The research and detail that goes into some of the diaramas is incredible.

Next time I get into airplanes it will be full scale. Will probably hold a bit more value too.
mx270a
Posted 12/13/2009 21:17 (#964991 - in reply to #964789)
Subject: RE: Yes (with pics)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have a small layout. You guys might appreciate these pics of a 1/64 scale 8120 that I put lights in. Lights are controlled by the same DCC system that runs the trains.

-Lance

Edited by mx270a 11/29/2011 21:28
John e.c.MI
Posted 12/13/2009 21:53 (#965076 - in reply to #964789)

Croswell, Michigan
I had an HO scale train set up when I was a kid. I had it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, had a town, farms, roads, ran black thread from electric pole to electric pole. Mom took it down and boxed it up when I moved out but now that I have a house with a dry basement I hope to set it up again.
95h
Posted 12/13/2009 22:11 (#965112 - in reply to #964789)
Subject: RE: small scale trains?

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

google HO model trains,, and see what pops up !!

German's make some very high end model trains. Here's just a start,,

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_list.asp?mn=1&sc=HO&ca=4

dig for a while you'll get to the expensive stuff,,

joeatdawn
Posted 12/13/2009 22:15 (#965118 - in reply to #964991)

Those are awesome. As a kid I often wished that Lionel and 64th scale farm toys would match scale. As a whole I am sort of disappointed with what I've seen out there in farm toys lately. Hey, how about this. Take one of my other hobbies- slot cars. If you could adapt the slot car concept to scale farm toys and lay a slot car track with modeling immitation soil over it but put the slot car track in a pattern so the combine would move in the same path through the field as a real one. And now, Scalextric have these really affordable digital cars that let 2 cars run on the same track. You could make an awesome miniature setup with one guy driving the combine and another guy driving the grain cart.
schwinnj
Posted 12/13/2009 22:33 (#965160 - in reply to #964789)
Subject: RE: small scale trains?

Northwest Ohio
I had an HO scale when I was a kid ... 4x8, with a 4x4 on one side (L-shaped). Got packed up when I went to college ... I hope to get it back out someday when my nephews get old enough for it.

I remember the most frustrating thing, was keeping the track clean. Without a clean track for smooth operation, not nearly as much fun (jerky and jumpy). I was thinking about it a couple years ago ... all that time I was spending cleaning the track which seemed to help only marginally ... what I never tried was cleaning the wheels on the engine to ensure good contact.....

My uncle worked on the railroad for years ... I remember going to his house when I was a kid. He had an upstairs bedroom where there was enough room to walk into the room, and the rest of it was a train layout. No scenery, no level changes ... no nothing except plywood, as much track as could be fit on the plywood, and as many cars as could fit onto the track.

I'd like to try it again since they now have DCC control ... no more switching track sections on and off in blocks.
Eric9870
Posted 12/13/2009 22:35 (#965164 - in reply to #964789)

Upstate New York
These guys are around the corner from me.

http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
dirtboy
Posted 12/14/2009 02:28 (#965407 - in reply to #964991)

hey mx270a, are those HID lights on the 8120, lol.
pilotasco
Posted 12/14/2009 10:16 (#965673 - in reply to #964789)

NW MN
I have a neighbor with a dedicated garage for his hobby of a small train layout. Locally there is a model train collector show. The club he is a member of puts on. It's a big deal with elaborate scenes, layouts and detail. If there wasn't NAT maybe I'd have another hobby! :)
Hayinhere
Posted 12/14/2009 20:05 (#966490 - in reply to #965118)
Subject: RE: Joe RE: slotcars

Central NE
speaking of slotcars (and trains) I had a US Electric trucking slotcar track when I was growing up that had two tracks with HO scale train tracks crossing it, You really had to watch for trains when you were driving those trucks. It was in the attic for 20 years, pulled it out last month and ran it with my 5 year old. Good times. :>)

Joe, do you know where a guy can still buy a slotcar or slotcar motors, contactors, etc?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)