AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many ears per plant?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 8/24/2009 17:42 (#822831)
Subject: How many ears per plant?

Blooming where I am planted!
I'm wondering, those of you who plant corn (not sweet corn), how many full-size ears do you get per plant?  I hear a lot of variation and I am wanting to learn more about corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HFR
Posted 8/24/2009 17:52 (#822838 - in reply to #822831)
Subject: Re: How many ears per plant?

Central Minnesota
Gerald J.
Posted 8/24/2009 17:55 (#822843 - in reply to #822831)

Under good growing conditions the stalk will produce up to three, maybe more, but if the population is high enough for maximum yield, two will abort and be absorbed to fill out the first one. If the population is low, there may be two or three nubbiny ears per stalk. One gives the best crop.

Gerald J.
yoohoo
Posted 8/24/2009 18:10 (#822853 - in reply to #822831)
Subject: Video of six ears on one plant

NE IOWA/ SE SD
Strange you ask, I was just checking our site this afternoon and saw H Grant Troop's video. He showed one stalk silking at 6 different leaf axles. Deffinitely do not see that often.

http://www.agreportsnetwork.com/

Mr. Troop is located in SE PA.

Markwright
Posted 8/24/2009 18:15 (#822859 - in reply to #822831)
Subject: RE: How many ears per plant? get some

New Mexico
Mexican June corn.

can be up to 6 ears per plant ....raises 2 to 3 good big ears generally.

Lot's of the farmer corn this year in the Western cornbelt shows some Mex June related traits.

In the decent areas 40% of the plants in given field plant populations have 2 decent 16 x 40 ears this year. The single ears on the 60% remaining pop are in 50 length range. Granted the 3rd ear on most is being reabsorbed.

Some of the fields will generally get 14 to 18 ft tall, ear height on the first ear is in the 4 to 6 ft range.

True Mex June is an open pollinatent. SOO plant some other sweet corn with it. That just makes both varieties better.

amsunshine
Posted 8/24/2009 19:01 (#822912 - in reply to #822859)

WOW, found this website.

http://www.pandpseed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=pandpseed&Product_Code=TCORN&Category_Code=corn

So if I understand correctly, this corn is more productive but what is the quality of it for foodstuffs or other things?

Gifford
Posted 8/24/2009 19:51 (#822972 - in reply to #822912)

East Kansas, DeSoto
Some of the old time popcorns had many ears. Gifford
Markwright
Posted 8/24/2009 23:32 (#823432 - in reply to #822912)

New Mexico
it's the white variety so should be pretty sweet.

Darn stuff is kinda tuff to find in quantity that's priced right.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/25/2009 00:18 (#823486 - in reply to #822831)
Subject: RE: How many ears per plant?

Most of the time "here" 1 good ear. Most of the times there is evidence of a second ear starting but it might not pollinate completely and hardly ever is considered a full ear.

In reduced stands or populations where the competition is not as heavy a plant may try to compensate by trying to fill more ears.

Actually the saying goes if your seeing the tip blank for about an inch it is a good indicator you planted a high enough population. If it's filled clear to the end the saying goes you should have planted at a somewhat higher population.

Here is a pic from a few years back where this plant along the edge had 3 ears started.

(P7180024 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P7180024 (Medium).JPG (57KB - 296 downloads)
paul the original
Posted 8/25/2009 01:14 (#823520 - in reply to #822831)

southern MN
We try to plant enogh seeds per acre (around 30,000 per acre 'here', depends on moisture typically available) so that only one ear forms per plant. This is typically the best yield. It is not uncommon to see a 2nd ear around now on a lot of plants, but often it stays very small and does not turn into anything.

If you plant less seeds per acre but have lots of fertility, each plant will use the extra sunshine & nutrients to make a 2nd or 3rd ear. But - that typically makes smaller ears with less corn per acre.

If you plant corn too thick, then it becomes weak & wants to fall over & again the ears become small & less corn per acre.

A goal of corn planting is to get the right plant population per acre so only one ear forms per stalk, and each ear is pretty big and filled out with kernals almost all the way to the tip. Takes very evenly spaced corn and the proper weather for that to work out just right.

--->Paul

Edited by paul the original 8/25/2009 01:16
amsunshine
Posted 8/25/2009 08:29 (#823634 - in reply to #822831)

Well, shows what I know (or don't know).  I am truly surprised about the one-ear thing.  That big plant and only one ear (I am assuming sweet corn is the same way?).  I have a new appreciation for corn prices now for sure.  Thank you so much!
German Shepherd
Posted 8/25/2009 21:54 (#824292 - in reply to #822831)

Ears of corn on a plant is the same as a wife: You only want 1 GOOD ONE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)