AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Discbine Maintenance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RiversRidgeBeef
Posted 5/7/2023 07:39 (#10218943)
Subject: Discbine Maintenance

What’s some things you all do to your discbine mowers before the fields for the year? Besides checking fluid in gear boxes, changing or flipping knives and greasing. What’s some preventative maintenance tips? I’ve got a 926 John Deere MoCo
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SilverSeeder
Posted 5/7/2023 07:52 (#10218963 - in reply to #10218943)
Subject: RE: Discbine Maintenance

SEMN
I have a NH discbine so each module has its own oil. Before 1st crop/ rye it gets a new set of knives, new oil in each module and every gear box, greased, check all belt tension and condition, check modules for play to see if shafts in between are getting worn. If loose cutter bar is dropped and splined shafts are replaced. Went through cutterbar last year so should be good?!
Jdel
Posted 5/7/2023 08:51 (#10219085 - in reply to #10218943)

Wheelersburg and Lancaster, Ohio
I don’t flip or replace blades just because it’s the beginning of the year. That’s an as needed thing. Grease and check oil in cutter bar and gear box. One of the simplest machines on the farm for preventative maintenance. I do give the belts a quick look but adjusting and replacing is a as needed thing too. I’ve looked at the belts before and thought they looked a little loose but tried them anyway. I think it was two years later before I tightened them a little. Only time I replaced belts was from damage from a stick that somehow got into them. I mow less than 500 acres a year (no rocks hear either). so my wear and tear is probably different than others
jd43
Posted 5/7/2023 09:03 (#10219107 - in reply to #10219085)

Northeastern Pa.
Check the drive belts for cracking and wear. Our JD salesman who also farms called me one day and asked if I had a spare drive belt. He broke his and his store didn't have one in stock. Last thing you want to happen when it's go time. Check lug nuts and tire pressure. Take a real good look at the drive line bearings. Change the cutter bar oil if you haven't in the past year or 2. Only fill as directed in manual.

Edited by jd43 5/7/2023 09:03
john holland
Posted 5/7/2023 09:09 (#10219117 - in reply to #10218943)

SE MN
Take the turtles off and remove the wrapped grass and fence wire. Torque back with spec from manual. Jack up wheels and check wheel bearings. Look at manual and try to remember all the zerks on the cv driveline. Loosen slip clutch and spin a few times to burnish.
Redbaler
Posted 5/7/2023 14:06 (#10219473 - in reply to #10218943)

Central IL
Cutterbar gearbox only takes 2 gallon of hyguard. Pretty cheap to change.
Billyfox
Posted 5/8/2023 23:20 (#10221755 - in reply to #10218943)

BC, Canada
Check bolts that hold the impeller tines to the shaft. Noticed our bolts were getting pretty worn this morning, some of the times where the bolt goes through are worn also some are not.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)