AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ritchie bros auction any good?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

diesel06
Posted 9/10/2018 16:38 (#6980797)
Subject: Ritchie bros auction any good?

Thinking about skipping work tomorrow and going for the first time. What to expect and more importantly are there any deals to be had? Looking for a scissor lift and there are several. Wondering if it’s worth my time. Seem like a big outfit. Please share experience. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lexion5
Posted 9/10/2018 16:47 (#6980805 - in reply to #6980797)
Subject: RE: Ritchie bros auction any good?

North Central Montana (Conrad)
I been to their auctions in canada and usa. Some deals can be had, but it seems that the items I'm looking at, everyone else wants them more. Of course that happens at every auction I go to. haha

Seriously, you have to pay attention to the machines. Go a day or two before to really look at the big machines. I have seen many dupont overhauls on construction equipment at those auctions. But there are some that are very nice, but go for lots more money. Many of the logging auctions I went to, they had the records of repairs and servicing done to the machines, so thats good.
Dan Loehr
Posted 9/10/2018 17:31 (#6980844 - in reply to #6980797)

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
You will be lucky to get a bargain at a Richie Auction plenty of Machinery jockey's to hone in on any bargain

HOWEVER possibly worth missing work for pretty much fun to do a time or two

GOOD luck

Dan

FWIW I have tried to buy over 10 pieces of equipment at a Richie Bros. auctions came up with nothing --possibly my fault

Mtnfarmer
Posted 9/10/2018 17:31 (#6980845 - in reply to #6980805)

North Carolina
In Ritchie bros auctions in my area tend to carry the more high end more desirable equip Alot of rental companies use them to liquidate items in their fleet to update with newer most likly those lifts your looking at good thing is they have probably been serviced on schudule and repaired if needed at dealer We have sold some items at their sales also very professional and pleased with process
dave morgan
Posted 9/10/2018 17:35 (#6980856 - in reply to #6980844)

Somerville, Indiana
Its an auction...Equipment brings what two other guys think its worth plus one more bid...The folks from New Jersey are more fun to try to beat..
Galaxie64
Posted 9/10/2018 17:37 (#6980860 - in reply to #6980797)

WY, OK
Definitely need to go look ahead of time and bring ear plugs if you are going to sit on the auction floor. Seen plenty of equip. that looked ok on the website and then looking at it in person it was garbage. Best deals are usually the pieces they have multiples of and just don't even think about bidding the first time when they sell choice.
warpspeed
Posted 9/10/2018 17:57 (#6980879 - in reply to #6980797)

SW Ohio

Look before bidding.  I checked out a mini excavator today there, looks beautiful in pics and in person, low hours.  It wouldn't even lift itself off the ground and was blowing major smoke, low engine power.

Its the best place to take equipment that's about to blow.  

j.p
Posted 9/10/2018 18:10 (#6980898 - in reply to #6980797)

NWIL
Bought a combine, online. Exactly what I wanted and I knew the history. Got an absolute ridiculously good deal, and in my interactions via phone calls and emails I was very impressed with the RB personnel.
RodPickett
Posted 9/10/2018 18:57 (#6980979 - in reply to #6980898)

NC Iowa
Don’t they make you put 25 percent down of what you expect to spend or can you just show up and bid?
Mitchco
Posted 9/10/2018 19:06 (#6980999 - in reply to #6980879)

SW OH
Funny that you mention that. The company I work for sent about 40 pieces to South Vienna some years ago. A D8H that was held together with scotch tape and bubble gum blew up going in the building. Caused a big fuss and held up the auction till they pushed it out of the way. We weren't allowed to sell there for 3 years we all heard. 4 years later we sent a PC600 up there that made it on the new owners drag, but had to be pulled off. RB told the new owner they were stuck with it.

As with any auction, "Buyer be ware", even more so from RB.

Mitchco

warpspeed - 9/10/2018 18:57

Its the best place to take equipment that's about to blow.  

Saskyfarmer
Posted 9/10/2018 19:07 (#6981000 - in reply to #6980979)

East Central Saskatchewan
I think that only applies for online bidding. But not 100 percent sure.
tj_farms
Posted 9/10/2018 19:22 (#6981025 - in reply to #6981000)

Ohio
Online bidding requires prior approval AND a Wired $10,000.00 deposit.

In person, Bank letter or certified check, personal check, 10 day wait til it clears.
jfg5
Posted 9/10/2018 20:24 (#6981169 - in reply to #6980797)

No. My current truck I was able to purchase notwithstanding Richey Brothers. Some title paperwork problem kept my truck from selling on its auction (at its St Louis location). Rb never missed the opportunity to be difficult seemingly determined to undermine my efforts to purchase the truck. It happened (the purchase) I bought the truck having negotiated directly with the seller. Still have the truck. Never returned to RB. Happy to see its St Louis facility closed.
Sodbustr
Posted 9/10/2018 21:10 (#6981288 - in reply to #6981025)

Western Iowa
Only if you are a new customer.

If you are set up with them, no prior approvals or deposits needed, onsite or online.

I don't know on the checks thing. 5-8 years ago you could write a check and haul stuff home the same day. They changed that an even us established customers they made you wait to pick up your stuff if using a check. Pain if you ask me...… I just quit taking a trailer along and sent a truck after that. Wire the money when I got back home the next day.

Edited by Sodbustr 9/10/2018 21:11
Wizard
Posted 9/11/2018 05:21 (#6981588 - in reply to #6980879)
Subject: Good place to dispose of your problems

Fletcher, OH
Buyer beware.

I'm still troubleshooting/repairing several gems that were purchased there.

Fresh paint blinds most people.
1466driver
Posted 9/11/2018 19:33 (#6982882 - in reply to #6981169)

Interstate 35 North ia
have bought somethings there but most the time go home empty handed . Defiantly inspect the machine prior to the auction if you can . and they don't mess around trying to push the bids , be ready to buy if the item you want is being sold , the move pretty fast . They also changed the buyers premium lately so read up on that in your sales catalog.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)