AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the AMP connector the industry standard?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 8/10/2018 14:47 (#6922358)
Subject: Is the AMP connector the industry standard?

NW KS/ SC ID
Hey all,

Getting ready for fall seeding and need to do some wiring.

I really have not had any sort of electronics on anything when I was farming with dad, so right now just starting with a GPS lightbar and a planter monitor, but I would like to do it up right, allowing for expansion.

I was looking at the Shoup Powerbar (looks the same as the Ag Express Powerbar) and it has AMP and regular 12V cigarette lighter style plugs. https://www.shoupparts.com/AE6601-Power-Bar

Is AMP the industry standard that I should be following?

The only other option that appears to be out there is JD's powerstrip setup, but is that a JD only setup that no universal monitor or GPS will come wired to?

Basically I am looking for the Pioneer Hyd. tip of electrical. :) I want to have it set up so that if for some odd reason I need to loan someone my monitor or borrow someone elses, it stands a good chance of being all ready wired and ready to go. Also, in case of a tractor breakdown (much more likely with my price point for used equipment... :) ) I want to be able to switch it over quickly to another tractor.

And no, a household powerstrip is not going to be used.

Any input appreciated,
Thanks!

Edited by GM Guy 8/10/2018 14:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page
premoj
Posted 8/10/2018 15:24 (#6922432 - in reply to #6922358)
Subject: RE: Is the AMP connector the industry standard?

Depends on what you are wiring.... power, rs232, can.... what brand... ect.

If power then yes the 3 pin type amp connectors are mostly what are used for power. But make sure you get the correct pairs, I have seen the retaining nuts on both the male and females side. Also there is some variation on keyed hot, always hot and neutral/ground. As far as power goes read the directions, some require power from the battery (ie clean power) and some don't care.
torn
Posted 8/10/2018 16:10 (#6922503 - in reply to #6922358)

roaming
GM Guy - 8/10/2018 13:47
And no, a household powerstrip is not going to be used.

Too bad... 120v gives you 10x the power of 12v... Mo power, mo better!
Fingers77
Posted 8/10/2018 17:10 (#6922592 - in reply to #6922358)

It doesn't exist.

Lots of manufacturers use AMP style connectors that you showed, but just as many want direct power to the batteries, and most of the time they use Deutsch connectors if there is a break in a wire.

Weatherpack is cheapest, Deutsch and MetriPack are both cost more.

I think it's a crapshoot.

I just build (usually) adapters to and from Weatherpack because they are the cheapest, yet extremely reliable when cycling connections, and maintaining water resistance. If the load can handle it. If not, I adjust to something heavier.

I stock Weatherpack, Deutsch DT, DTM and DTP. Yes it's expensive, but I can almost always make what I need when I need it. over 90% of the time.
co2shaun
Posted 8/10/2018 21:52 (#6923119 - in reply to #6922358)

NW KS
As mentioned there really isn't a standard wiring plug for power. Just about every system has there own way of getting power. The 12 volt power strips help but often you are going to have to make your own adapter. Some manufactures will recommend that you wire there product directly to the battery for best results but often you can get away with not doing so as long as the setup is reasonable. Key word is reasonable, If it draws a few amps making an adapter to go to a 12 volt power strip is probably fine but if it draws 50 you might want to go with a direct connection.

I have been using the John deere power strip. The thing that I like about those strips is that you can use a standard spade connector that you can get from any automotive store if you need to make a connection in a hurry. This is more of a temporary setup but is nice to be able to do if you damage a cord or don't have the correct connections for an adapter. You can also get a cord from john deere with just the power strip end to make a proper adapter for more permanent setups.
Two Hawk
Posted 8/11/2018 02:07 (#6923307 - in reply to #6922358)

Southern Nevada desert
I think the AMP plug is fairly standard on the tractor side of things, at least there is one from the factory in all of my '90s thru 2000s green tractors along with the Deere power strip on the later ones.

Do the newer ones still have the AMP plugs on the side console?

Do other brands use something different than the AMP for accessory power in the cab?

Nothing aftermarket will come with the deere plug unless you add it yourself.
I power my baler monitors and 2 way radios through the JD power strips by the front side window, a light bar or monitor only would be fine there also but the JD strips main feed is only wired with about #16 wire so voltage drop would be a concern with heavier loads or multiple loads. JD puts the AMP plugs on the rear of the side console so I use those for any controls that are mounted to the rear of the cab. My autopilots got wired to a main feed lug inside the side console to minimize voltage drop.
I would use the AMP strip if starting from scratch.
nwksmilo
Posted 8/12/2018 06:27 (#6925018 - in reply to #6922358)

Colby, KS

The AMP style connector seems to be the most prevalent.  That type is called a "Type XII"  I set all my machines up with them and it has proven to be a useful setup through the years as implements and consoles of have come and gone.  The terminals require a f-type open barrel crimp and have their own special tool to extract them from the housing that is $$$ but lasts a lifetime.

The major advantage of that AMP connector over the JD powerstrip style is the amperage load it can handle.  You can get the terminals for up to 10AWG wire and the contact are rated to 40 amps if I remember right.    That may or may not be important to you, but the higher load ability is nice for running 12 volt pumps and fans in the future without having to run another circuit to the battery.  I built my own power strips wired up with 8 gauge on it's own breaker to the battery.   Have never had a problem and have several of my setups that are used every minute the machine has run and have had them installed for over 3000 hours.

Correctly installed one of the vertical terminals is hot all the time, the other is hot with the key switch and the horizonal is ground. 

Edited by nwksmilo 8/12/2018 06:40
tedbear
Posted 8/13/2018 07:57 (#6927180 - in reply to #6922358)

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The AMP 3 blade connector is very common but they are expensive. I use two pole weatherpack connectors. Each tractor has several 2 pole weatherpak towers permanently wired to them. I always use Pin A for the power and Pin B for the ground. Each tractor has two or four of these. Some are keyed power (orange wire) and the others are "hot" (red wire). I can easily install/remove/move any devices such as scale heads, cameras, controllers etc. since they are all wired the same. My color code of orange and red allows me to connect them whichever way I choose.

Several of these are in tractors with the Deere power strips. These strips have some nice stud terminals on the back. I connect my adapter harness to those studs and don't need to mess with Deere's plan although the strip is still present.

Since I used to work as a Tech, I had access to the weatherpack parts and tools.

Edited by tedbear 8/14/2018 07:17
Farms With CASE
Posted 8/13/2018 23:25 (#6928679 - in reply to #6922358)

North Liberty and South Bend, Indiana
I highly suggest you build your own power strip. A guy on here had all the part numbers required including a nice plastic junction box to house it all.
KMech
Posted 8/15/2018 19:28 (#6931417 - in reply to #6922358)

Missouri
The 3 pin amp plug is most common across all lines.

I have seen guys get John Deere powerstrips and install them in other machines. One guy I know runs all new holland tractors and has put a john deere power strip in each one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)