AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal lathe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

oes
Posted 3/3/2018 18:49 (#6617856)
Subject: Metal lathe

iowa
What’s everyone’s opinion on this lathe?
https://www.toolnut.com/jet-321360a-bdb-1340a-belt-drive-bench-lathe...

Looking for a lathe for repair work, threading gun barrels, and in future making new cylinder rods. Would this work for all that? I have looked at several older lathes but don’t know enough about them currently to know a slightly worn one from a worn out junker. Would rather go new. Any input is appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
thefarmers
Posted 3/3/2018 18:54 (#6617865 - in reply to #6617856)
Subject: RE: Metal lathe

Weve had a jet that size for 25 years or so. It's been a good lathe and we've done several gun barrels and countless other projects. They sure are fun to play with.
E718
Posted 3/3/2018 19:03 (#6617886 - in reply to #6617856)

Sac & Story county IA
If you get big enough that somebody can't borrow a pickup on Saturday and bring home, the price goes down. This one has rigidity to it
https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/H.E.SHErnault-SomuaType55020MetalLathe
oes
Posted 3/3/2018 19:07 (#6617896 - in reply to #6617886)

iowa
It’s on my watch list but being in ND and spring around the corner puts a damper on it to me
Merle
Posted 3/3/2018 19:11 (#6617907 - in reply to #6617856)

Nice lathe. Perfect size for what you are wanting to do with it.
E718
Posted 3/3/2018 19:11 (#6617908 - in reply to #6617896)

Sac & Story county IA
I know what you mean. That lathe on a trailer in sloppy weather would be corrosion plus. On a trailer behind pickup in anything less than perfect traction would be bad.
.I own an item at Duluth. Serious winter there yet.

There is always HGR
https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle&from&to&markdowns&newarrivals&s...

Edited by E718 3/4/2018 08:17
jtpfarm
Posted 3/3/2018 19:26 (#6617942 - in reply to #6617856)

mn
I have a grizzly. Grizzly, jet, shop fox, and some others are very similar. Been a good machine and has done everything I have asked. They can pay for themselves in a big hurry making repairs.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-X-40-Gunsmithing-Gearhead-Lathe/...
palennn
Posted 3/3/2018 20:08 (#6618024 - in reply to #6617942)

North Central Kansas
I would sure take the Grizzly over the Jet. Looks like about twice the lathe for the same price.
oes
Posted 3/3/2018 20:09 (#6618026 - in reply to #6618024)

iowa
palennn - 3/3/2018 20:08

I would sure take the Grizzly over the Jet. Looks like about twice the lathe for the same price.

What advantages do you see with the grizzly over the jet?
jeff gordon
Posted 3/3/2018 20:47 (#6618123 - in reply to #6617856)

Mather, Manitoba
Biggest problem with a lathe is not buying one two decades earlier. Looks to have pretty standard options. Auto feed is one of the nicest options. Get rid of that tool holder and get an AXA wedge type quick change. Milling machine matches up nicely with it. Old man bought this Advance back in 1990. Saved us tons of cash in repairs. Take a course. Lots of tutorials on youtube.

(IMG_20180223_130059.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20180223_130059.jpg (149KB - 97 downloads)
towman2000
Posted 3/3/2018 20:53 (#6618139 - in reply to #6618026)

SouthCentral WI
Well first of all the grizzly is about 350#'s heavier. It also includes a live center, that I don't find on the the jet.
Just the extra weight makes me think it would be a better lathe.

Towman
twraska
Posted 3/3/2018 21:00 (#6618154 - in reply to #6617856)

Wallis, TX
Personally I'd go with used 'industrial' one but that's me.
65_4020
Posted 3/3/2018 21:15 (#6618182 - in reply to #6618154)

Central Missouri
You could buy a nice Lebonde or Clausing for that price and have twice the machine. I bought my 21" x 60" Colchester for $4500. I would never buy a lathe with less than a 2" spindle bore.
oes
Posted 3/3/2018 21:20 (#6618194 - in reply to #6618182)

iowa
65_4020 - 3/3/2018 21:15

You could buy a nice Lebonde or Clausing for that price and have twice the machine. I bought my 21" x 60" Colchester for $4500. I would never buy a lathe with less than a 2" spindle bore.

Do you know of any of those for sale?
65_4020
Posted 3/3/2018 21:35 (#6618223 - in reply to #6618194)

Central Missouri
https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscci/catalogue-...
65_4020
Posted 3/3/2018 21:39 (#6618234 - in reply to #6618194)

Central Missouri
https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/heath-industrial...

This one is pretty nice too.
farmerkirk
Posted 3/3/2018 21:56 (#6618268 - in reply to #6618234)

SC Kansas
I have a 15"x54" Leblond Regal with 2-1/8" iirc through hole. Works great for me. Plenty cheap if you look long enough.
jtpfarm
Posted 3/3/2018 22:06 (#6618284 - in reply to #6618154)

mn
twraska - 3/3/2018 21:00

I wanted a good old atlas, South bend, lebond, or clausing in the worst way as I know they are better machines. But everything I found was either too far away, completely wore out or just plain huge. That's why I ended up with the grizzly.

That said, for a farm shop they are more than adequate unless a guy was/is a professional machinist.
Beetman
Posted 3/3/2018 22:32 (#6618314 - in reply to #6617856)

Michigan
I have a 19"x102" Leblond Regal extremely happy look for used. My experience with jet was not to good, brought a 8000 pound pallet jack received in the little manual a certificate verifying it was tested at 8000 pounds with stamp and tester number went to move my first load with the jack a know load of 5500 pound radial drill press as I was pumping jack bent bracket where cylinder was lifting at, turn jack upside down to look under somebody forgot to weld the heavy sold brace to the top bracket so without that main brace a 2000 pound load would have bent it the certified test was a joke.
tech5201
Posted 3/4/2018 05:59 (#6618438 - in reply to #6617856)

EC NE
Maybe Smithy?
https://smithy.com/gear-drive-lathes-midas
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 06:24 (#6618463 - in reply to #6617856)

Wyoming

Folks should understand that most of the lathes that come out of China are really "lathe kits." They have most all the parts that would make a lathe already put together, but once you know something about machining, the Chinese-made machines will drive you to distraction, because you will find X,Y and Z on the machine that need to be addressed before you can really use it. Things like burrs and casting dross on some parts (pieces of the taper attachment are famous for being barely ground before being slapped together), seals that leak because mating surfaces are not true, etc.

I have a Taiwanese lathe (a "Sharp", 13x40 with a variable speed drive), and while they're a step up from the ChiCom lathes, it still isn't a "ready to really work as delivered" lathe. I use mine for gunsmithing and light machining, and it works OK - just OK. I've used a lot of different lathes at gunsmithing schools, community college shops, other gunsmith's shops, you name it. I now have opinions about lathes, and most of my opinions about the ChiCom lathes run towards "when you get them, you need to really go through them and finish what the ChiComs started..." The Taiwanese lathes are better in fit, finish and quality, they cost about 2X what the ChiCom lathes do, and they still need finishing.

The way I tell that the Jet lathe above is from China is the price: If you see a 13x40 or 14x40 lathe in the under-$6K price range (new), it's from China. If you see a 13x40 or 14x40 lathe more than $7K, and under $12K, it's probably from Taiwan. There's only a couple of companies actually making the castings and lathes in China - the different machines you see for sale are just different badgings and paint schemes on the same basic lathes from China. The amount of quality in these machines is usually what the company that sells the machines here "inspects into" the machine.

Now, if you asked my opinion of a good lathe for a farm shop, my first choice would be a LeBlond Regal. These are, hands-down, one of the most rugged, no-nonsense, reliable, easy-to-fix lathes out there. We have one in the college shop here, and it withstands use and abuse for 15 years by students that has literally taken apart four brand-new Taiwanese lathes in three years.

When you say "threading gun barrels," I assume you mean threading the muzzle. If you meant threading the breech end, then you'd need to be chambering. Lots of people will tell you that you need a short headstock so you can put the gun barrel through the headstock. That's not so - you can thread gun barrels easily if you have a stead rest and know how to use it. I vastly prefer a steady rest that uses brass "fingers" on the workpiece, not the roller bearings. The roller bearing steady rests will emboss a groove on softer steels so quickly, you will wonder why anyone uses them. The solid brass steady rest fingers work on just about anything, and they don't leave a mark on the finish.

OK, judging a used lathe:

- turn it on, listen for bearing noises, gear lash in the headstock. Make sure the longitudinal feed and cross-feed work. Make sure all the gears in the gearbox are there.

- look for wear on the ways - dings, nicks, etc. Look for a step on the ways near the headstock - many lathes that have been used hard will have a mark on the ways where the carriage has been used up close to the headstock, and the ways were not oiled.

- make sure the tailstock is there, and functional.

- make sure that the lathe comes with all the tooling - the steady rest, the follower rest, the centers for the headstock and tailstock, faceplaces, dogs, toolpost, etc. 

Many Regals go for less than the price of that Jet lathe.

If you really want a new lathe, but are constrained as to your budget to the price of that Jet, have a look at Grizzly's offerings. Grizzly has many machines that are made in China, but Grizzly inspects them better than Jet does (IMO), and Grizzly has better support. Another outfit selling Chinese import lathes is Precision Matthews.

Your budget for a lathe should include tooling. The cost of the lathe is just the start of the budget it takes to actually make chips and get something useful done. 

Edited by WYDave 3/4/2018 06:25
oes
Posted 3/4/2018 07:42 (#6618575 - in reply to #6618463)

iowa
Thanks for the input. Iowa recently allows us to acquire suppressors so I have multiple bull barreled guns that don’t have threads on the muzzle. Enjoy gunsmith work but have a lot to learn yet on it
ronm
Posted 3/4/2018 07:58 (#6618604 - in reply to #6618463)

Fruita CO
+1 on the Grizzly, I've heard good reviews on them, no first-hand experience. Grizzly has now acquired the South Bend trademark & has a line of South Bend-branded machines out. No reports on them either, other than Griz's catalog...
The good old American iron is getting sort of tired, I picked up a WWII-era Sheldon lathe a couple years back just to keep it out of the scrap yard, it's usable but really needs some TLC...one more project...
I tried to get a big old Lodge & Shipley a few years ago, but the guy was too proud of it & wouldn't take offers. It was a machine from the high school shop where I took machine shop class.
repairman
Posted 3/4/2018 08:08 (#6618630 - in reply to #6617856)

South Dakota

Just remember that you will spend about three quarters to 100% of that amount in tooling.

oes
Posted 3/4/2018 08:14 (#6618649 - in reply to #6618630)

iowa
Any sites you would recommend for tooling?
KWinWCIL
Posted 3/4/2018 08:24 (#6618670 - in reply to #6618463)

Vermont, IL
WYDave makes some very good points. I looked for the kind of American made lathe that he describes for YEARS. They were either a zillion miles away, missing parts, had JUST been sold, or whatever. Never found the right one. Finally bought a Jet GHB, like what the OP was looking at only geared drive. I've had it for 6 weeks and have used it almost every day trying to get some hours on it. As of now, I'd say it was an ok purchase, I'm certainly not awed by the quality and it's at the lower end of my expectations. The fit and finish are barely acceptable. I'm still in a dispute with Jet as to replacing a cable on the DRO. The crate it was boxed in was terrible and had shipping damage. I fixed most of the damage except for the broken wire.

On the positive side, I'm learning a huge amount every day which was one of my goals. It does seem to cut fairly accurately, although the 3 jaw chuck does have some runout. Dave is also correct in that the purchase of the lathe is only the beginning, the tooling adds up really fast.

Bottom line is that I'm going to enjoy using my Jet.....but am still in the market for the perfect American made lathe, e.g. a Monarch, Lodge & Shipley, Colchester, or Hardinge. Probably others that don't come to mind. Good luck and best wishes.
KWinWCIL
Posted 3/4/2018 08:39 (#6618714 - in reply to #6618649)

Vermont, IL
I've bought some from MSC, some from McMaster Carr, but most I find on Amazon. All Industrial tools, Accusize tools, I bought a genuine Aloris BXA toolpost and have found that the Accusize holders fit really well at a fraction of the price of Aloris. I did change out the setscrews. I have yet to order anything from Shars so I can't speak to their quality. Suburban Tool I haven't tried yet either.

Added... If you haven't got an indicator holder I'd highly recommend getting a Noga.

Edited by KWinWCIL 3/4/2018 08:50
doggone
Posted 3/4/2018 08:47 (#6618737 - in reply to #6617856)

south central MN
I know where there are some used Clausing lathes for sale in Iowa at an excellent price. Email me for the details
65_4020
Posted 3/4/2018 08:51 (#6618748 - in reply to #6618649)

Central Missouri
Companies like MSC, Grainger, and McMaster-Carr all sell tooling. I wouldn't buy from any of those. But they are a good place to look to decide what you want/need.

My advise is to stop in a local to you machine shop and see who they buy from to get your hard tooling. Your consumables can come from anyplace. I have several local guys that come in to my work and buy inserts, taps, drill bits, endmills etc.
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 09:58 (#6618932 - in reply to #6618714)

Wyoming

I can not only recommend Noga, I can tell you that using just about any other indicator holder is a waste of time and money. Every other indicator holder I've used has broken, sooner or later. Noga's indicator holders just keep on working.

Suburban Tool is VERY nice stuff - at a VERY NICE price. 

Edited by WYDave 3/4/2018 09:59
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 10:23 (#6618979 - in reply to #6618670)

Wyoming

The Cadillac of American lathes was either the American Pacemaker, or the Monarchs, and I'd lean towards the Pacemaker. These machines were built to very exacting standards, they were built from very high quality materials, with exceedingly good bearings in the headstocks. If I could find a Monarch 15" lathe, I'd be on it like stink on a cowpie. They're awesome lathes.

For a gunsmith, I think the Clausing 5913/5914's are pretty nice lathes. The South Bend "Heavy" 10 (aka model 10L) is a good (and almost too-well-known) gunsmith lathe. The 10L is very short through the headstock, which makes it easy to put a barrel through the headstock for chambering or threading. The 10L is also a rather light lathe, making it easy to move in/out of tight spaces (basements, workshops, etc).

For many farmers who want to tinker with guns and make parts for farm equipment, I'd recommend looking around for a South Bend "Heavy 13" lathe. These can be found with 60" beds, so you can work on longer shafts and such. The Heavy 13's only downside is that it is low - tall men will end up stooping over the thing and getting a backache, or you'll end up building up a platform to raise it by about 8 inches. But they're a very good "all round" lathe, with very reasonable prices in the used market.

For people who want/need to make lots of little screws/pins/bits/bobs, the Monarch 10EE and Hardinge HLV-H are the ticket. These lathes were used to make very precise workpieces - the bearings on both of these lathes were significantly better than the bearings on most all other lathes; the 10EE's TIR (total indicated runout) was 50 millionths of an inch, and the HLV-H's bearings were good for 25 millionths of an inch TIR (that's 0.00005 and 0.000025" respectively). Most lathes have headstock bearings that are good for 0.0002" TIR - and that includes modern CNC lathes as well.  Neither the 10EE nor the HLV-H (or the even more useful variant, the HLV-H-EM, which had English & Metric thread gearing) will come cheaply. If I saw either one listed for less than $9K, I'd ask "What's wrong with it?"

To be able to have a three-jaw chuck with no runout requires an adjustable back-plate. There are chucks called "Adjust-Tru" chucks that are three jaw (or six jaw) that then have two additional screws on the backplate to allow you to take out all the runout - so you get the best of both worlds: a scroll chuck for quick chucking/unchucking, and the accuracy of a four-jaw to dial it in to perfection. In my shop, I use the four jaw chuck 95% of the time, a collet holder 4% of the time, and a three-jaw 1% of the time.

Where you are in IL, you're so much closer to good, used American machines than we are here in Wyoming. Here, I can locate a half-dozen used lathes that you could use to turn a 25" diameter axle shaft, but it is very, very rare to see a lathe smaller than 15x60" come up for sale. 

BTW - if people have questions about "how to do XYZ?" on a lathe, please ask and I'll try to answer. There are at least three different ways to do most any gun work on a lathe. Too many people tell you "you have to do it THIS way" and that just isn't the case. If I could have only one machine in my shop, it would be a good lathe. A mill is optional most of the time - a lathe is not.

WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 10:27 (#6618992 - in reply to #6618575)

Wyoming

If you have questions about doing gun work on a lathe, please just ask.

BTW - when you are putting threads on a barrel for a suppressor, you will need to be able to judge class 3 threads accurately. This isn't as easy as it sounds. I use thread wires and a mic, and my thread wires are held in specially cut holders that slip over the anvil and rod on a mic.

ronm
Posted 3/4/2018 10:28 (#6618996 - in reply to #6618649)

Fruita CO
I've found a lot of tooling for the lathe & mill on ebay.
oes
Posted 3/4/2018 10:39 (#6619030 - in reply to #6618992)

iowa
WYDave - 3/4/2018 10:27

BTW - when you are putting threads on a barrel for a suppressor, you will need to be able to judge class 3 threads accurately. This isn't as easy as it sounds. I use thread wires and a mic, and my thread wires are held in specially cut holders that slip over the anvil and rod on a mic.

Your last couple sentences are above my pay grade currently but I have a 20’ stick of 1” rod I was planning on starting on. I didn’t realize it was that intricate
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 11:44 (#6619163 - in reply to #6619030)

Wyoming

There are several books that are essential for a machinist to have in his library, foremost among these is "Machinery's Handbook." The MH contains an incredible amount of information, and the book's sections on threading, taps, dies, drills, etc are worth the price all by themselves.

http://new.industrialpress.com/machineryhandbook

You don't need to buy a new copy. The information you need is available in any of the editions from about the 20th edition forward. What changes every few years from about the 25th edition to now is more modern machining stuff, 3D printing, EDM metalworking, etc. For someone seeking to have access to the most commonly used machinist material, a 25th edition would work fine.

Now, how to run a lathe:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

This is a book by South Bend from 1914. I'm pointing to the older edition, since they had so much more information about grinding HSS tooling back then. Most people (including me) will tell you that modern machinists barely use HSS tooling any more, and they're right. Inserted carbide tooling is probably the single biggest return on investment any machine shop can make. I use inserted carbide tooling - but I still grind and use lots of HSS tooling as well. The early "how to run a lathe" books also cover lots of mechanic's operations on a lathe, which makes it useful for farmers/truckers/etc.

Threads: I could write a whole dissertation on threads here, but I won't. I'll refer you to read the Machinery's Handbook. You'll need a little knowledge of trig and general math to completely understand threads. I'll take pictures of my thread-checking tools tonight and post them in a thread on machining tools for people to see. The subject of threads is a huge expanse of knowledge now, and MechE PhD could (and some  ave) written their PhD dissertation on esoteric issues in threading. When I say "Class 3" threads, I'm referring to how much engagement the thread has. A class 3 thread is the tightest fitting thread there is in the Unified thread system. Most bolts/nuts are Class 2 fits, and some really coarse bolts will be Class 1, designed to be screwed in with dirt, muck, etc on the threads and still fit. Class 3 threads demand that the threads be clean, clean, clean in order to get screwed together without messing up the threads or jamming the fit so tightly that you won't get them apart again.

Note: the MH has two editions: the "compact" edition that has remained the same size for over 100 years now, and the large print edition. Since I suffer from presbyopia just as most people do as we age, I now have the large print edition in addition to my small edition. If you wear bifocal safety glasses, you can read the small edition. I don't have any Gerstner toolboxes that have the handbook drawer in them, so most all of my MH's from here on out will be the large print edition.

For those who are wondering "What the ??? are you talking about Dave?" here, allow me to explain:

The top-end machinist's toolboxes are/were made by a company called Gerstner, made of American Oak, with felt-lined drawers, and these toolboxes have been the ultimate machinist's toolbox for over 100 years. The machinist version of their toolboxes has a drawer specifically designed for the Machinery's Handbook:

http://gerstnerusa.com/made-in-usa-products/chests-and-bases/2610-chest

See that odd-shaped drawer smack in the center of the toolchest? That's for the MH. Has been for 100+ years. The company that published the MH changes the information in the MH - taking some older stuff out, and putting newer stuff in, to keep the toolbox edition of the MH the same size it has been in order to fit into that drawer. The print size on the toolbox-sized edition is very small, but the quality of the printing is superb, and the pages are as thin as most Bible pages are. MH's have now become collectable of their own accord, with early editions fetching hundreds of dollars.

See the mirror in the lid of the box? Most folks are probably thinking "Those machinists must be a pretty vain group of guys." No, that's not why the mirror is there. In the days before safety glasses, when a man got a chip in his eye, he's use that mirror and a magnet to get the chip out of his eye. I suggest you use the mirror for vanity's sake and wear safety glasses instead. Gerstner toolboxes and bases are very, very nice. They make a great gift for someone who is a machinist, and they're very, very well built. The company has been owned/operated by the same family for four+ generations now, making high-quality toolboxes for craftsmen, machinists, woodworkers, etc.

Edited by WYDave 3/4/2018 11:46
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 3/4/2018 12:59 (#6619305 - in reply to #6618284)

just a tish NE of central ND
jtpfarm - 3/3/2018 21:06

twraska - 3/3/2018 21:00

I wanted a good old atlas, South bend, lebond, or clausing in the worst way as I know they are better machines. But everything I found was either too far away, completely wore out or just plain huge. That's why I ended up with the grizzly.

That said, for a farm shop they are more than adequate unless a guy was/is a professional machinist.

I use my atlas...... its old, its simple and has no transmission and uses change gears. but I woudnt go looking for one.There are much better lathes and parts for the atlas is about as obsolete as can be for anything made out of zamack pot metals and aluminum.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 3/5/2018 17:36
KWinWCIL
Posted 3/4/2018 13:24 (#6619357 - in reply to #6618932)

Vermont, IL
Totally agree on the Noga. I just got one and won't touch my others now. I'm a little afraid of a 10EE in that the drive seems really complicated. Same way with a Hydrashift. Am I wrong to be a little leary of them? Lost Creek Machine has (or at least had) a 13" South Bend but it looked like it had been used hard. I went there to look at a Cincinatti but hearing stories about how expensive the gears were to replace scared me off.
KWinWCIL
Posted 3/4/2018 13:35 (#6619389 - in reply to #6619163)

Vermont, IL
LOL. Yeah, I just got the large print version of MH a year ago, and the tables are STILL hard to see. I've been wanting to buy a Gerstner as a gift for my brother but haven't been able to part with that much money! I have the feeling I could learn LOTS from you, WYDave.
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 14:21 (#6619490 - in reply to #6619357)

Wyoming

The 10EE's had several generations of variable-speed drives. 

The very earliest variable speed drive was a hydrostatic drive coupling. This was changed during WWII to a variable-speed system that was a AC motor -> DC generator -> DC motor, and they'd vary the field on the DC generator to change the output on the generator to vary the speed of the motor. These were also the least efficient variable speed drive systems, and they were noisy and heavy as a load of lead bricks.

These early machines are known as "round dial" machines. The speed/feeds indicator operated in a circular fashion, and the indicator swept over a beautifully machined round brass plate. It was terribly sexy from the standpoint of visual appearance.

The next variable-speed drive was based on vacuum tubes, tube rectifiers, "thyratrons," tube voltage regulators, etc. These machines now had the "Square Dial" speed/feed indication - it looked more like an early shortwave radio dial. To me, the vacuum tube control is the sexiest system, but then I'm a EE and a ham radio nerd from back in the days when I built my own tube equipment & amplifiers. To most machinists, this was the system that scared the crap out of them. If you opened up the door to the motor drive system (which was on the front of the machine, below the chip bin), you'd see this multi-colored glow out of the tubes - which were about as big in diameter as a beer can, and twice as tall. The voltages in the "WiaD" drive cabinet were high - lethally high. Those who didn't understand tube circuits were wise to open the door, lose all of their bravery, and then close the door again. It was like open a small portal into a very scary mad scientist's lab.

By 1961, I think most of the tubes were gone, replaced by solid state devices. There were several re-spins of variable speed drives based on solid state circuits.

Today, if you slap a 5HP three-phase motor into a 10EE and a VFD, you've pretty much got the power issue licked.

The HLV-H's are much simpler - and also much less powerful. I think a HLV-H has a 0.75HP motor. The 10EE has it all - precision, accuracy, gobs of power to take heavy cuts. The HLV-H is a beautiful little machine, made for taking light cuts, making absurdly fine threads, etc.

Hydrashifts: These machines are basically just a hydraulically-controlled variable-ratio pulley set coupling the motor to the spindle via a belt. If you've seen how the snowmobile transmission setup works with those two large pulleys that smoothly change the ratio as the speed of the sled picks up? It's sort of like that. So what happens on lots of the hydra-shift lathes is that the seals on the little piston that compresses the sheaves on the pulley(s) starts to leak. This is messy, and when it gets bad, you have quite the mess on the floor on a regular basis. Fixing these machines is right up farmer/mechanic alleys - it's just hydraulics and seals. Most machinists don't want to screw around with these, because they don't like tearing into their machines to fix hydraulics - because lots of machinists don't really "get" hydraulic systems.

Bridgeport Series I mills use the same sort of variable-ratio pulley sheave system, only their open/close mechanism is the speed crank on the right side of the mill head. Don't fiddle with that speed crank unless the motor is running - changing the speed on a Series I-style mill is a formula to needing to tear down the mill head and fix the pulley and possibly the belt.

Today, most of the variable-speed issue is done with 3-phase motors and VFD's. Both my Sharp lathe and mill use a VFD and a 3HP 3-phase motor. They're pud-simple by comparison.

Edited by WYDave 3/4/2018 14:22
oes
Posted 3/4/2018 14:31 (#6619509 - in reply to #6619490)

iowa
What’s your opinion on a variable speed lathe vs adjustable speed? Also from reading on internet some people don’t seem to care for a single phase motor vs a three phase. Some claim the three phase leaves a better finish. Any input on that? Thanks
KWinWCIL
Posted 3/4/2018 16:24 (#6619775 - in reply to #6619490)

Vermont, IL
Thanks for that great info. The vacuum tube 10EE was what I was thinking of. I didn't know you could tear all that out and replace with a 3 phase motor and VFD.
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 3/4/2018 18:18 (#6620009 - in reply to #6617856)

SW Ohio
Something I learned about LeBlonds, soon after getting this pre-WWII model (weighs 6200#!!), the company, that started in Norwood Ohio is still around, now on the East side of Cincy. They can get any piece for any machine they ever made since day one. Another shop much closer to me actually makes it for them, owner told me a few weeks ago they made a part for a 1918 lathe from the original drawings.
If I ever get this one going on some serious jobs I might need Mr. Stine to help me out, I am a self taught tinker'er.......

(leblond 02.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments leblond 02.jpeg (133KB - 86 downloads)
WYDave
Posted 3/4/2018 19:44 (#6620221 - in reply to #6619509)

Wyoming

Yes. I won't delve into the electrical theory on single vs. three phase motors here.

Single phase motors, under load, can produce a pattern on the finish. Three phase motors, run on real three phase power (whether from a rotary, solid-state, VFD converter or a real three-phase power source) produce smoother finishes. If you're using a static phase converter, you might see a pattern on the finish if you load down the motor to the maximum ability produced by a static phase converter (66% of full power).

I think a three phase motor with a modern VFD is the way to go anymore. My shop doesn't have 3 phase power - only 230 1 phase. The VFD's in my machines can accept either three phase or one phase input power - the result is the same: 3 phase power of variable frequency to allow me to control the speed of the motor.

Davy Krockett
Posted 3/4/2018 20:42 (#6620456 - in reply to #6617856)

CO WI TX
I don’t know how close to a bigger city you are. Craigslist is were me and my fil found a nice older lathe it is a table top took about nine months of looking. Pretty much it’s like anything use if the price is to good to be true it’s not true and if it looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet don’t buy it. Now we’re looking for a knee mill. Times your friend when looking for used iron I found my snap on box on Craigslist for a good price took me a few months to find what I wanted.
ronm
Posted 3/4/2018 21:30 (#6620607 - in reply to #6620456)

Fruita CO
Took me 10 years to find a Bridgeport, here in the howling machine tool wilderness...
Bret (OH)
Posted 3/5/2018 07:28 (#6621027 - in reply to #6617856)

Blanchester, OH
Another thing to consider on most if not all of those small import lathes is that to produce different thread pitches you must physically change out the gears behind the cover on the drive end of the headstock along with setting the transmission to the proper speeds and feeds. That's a major hassle!
I have a Royal 1360 (made in Taiwan) that is a really nice lathe, but I avoid threading because of the hassle of changing gearsets. Most of my threading work is snuck in to work to thread on my LeBlond Makino 18" Regal. For most thread pitches just a setting of the operator control levers gets you almost any thread you could need.
For smaller threaded production parts, they would be produced on my Hardinge HC with a CNC Accuslide toolplate that uses a Fagor control, but that would only be used for multiple piece jobs.
Most of the better older industrial lathes mentioned in this thread will give you that feature, and for me worth considering, especially if it was my only lathe.
Another point already mentioned here in this thread is a spindle bore large enough to do the work you will want from the lathe. I would not even consider a lathe, especially for farm shop work, that could not pass a 2" plus workpiece.
Davy Krockett
Posted 3/5/2018 08:58 (#6621247 - in reply to #6620607)

CO WI TX
Ronm your on the wrong side of the mountains for good deals.
SDFMEnterprises
Posted 3/5/2018 10:26 (#6621461 - in reply to #6617856)

KS/ NENE
A buddy of mine bought a Grizzly 14x40 lathe a few months back for his small fab shop. The lathe itself works well for what he does with it, but he bought the DRO after the fact and it was a nightmare to install, he had to machine parts of the bed to accept the read rods, I think he told me it took 8+ hours to install. The other problem he had was the motor already went out. Grizzly sent him, in a timely manner, a new capacitor and relay for it which fixed it, but the service guy told him it was a common problem and that there's some sort of adjustment you need to regularly do inside the motor contacts to keep it from happening.... he will be replacing the motor with a reputable supplier when he gets a chance.

He was in the same boat as you, would like a nice, quality older machine, but availability and price drove him to Grizzly. Someday he will step up and spend the money for a quality CNC and be done with it.
thefarmers
Posted 3/5/2018 17:28 (#6622382 - in reply to #6621027)

Our jet lathe will cut pretty much any American thread I believe without changing any gears. I believe for metric you have to swap a couple of the drive gears.
thefarmers
Posted 3/5/2018 17:34 (#6622400 - in reply to #6618992)

WYDave - 3/4/2018 10:27

How do you taper a barrel? Ive seen jigs made on YouTube to do it where the cross slide nut is removed and basicly follows along an adjustable track mounted to the lathe. Was tempted to make one but hadn't tried it yet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)