AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere Technical Manuals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crazycactus
Posted 1/22/2018 08:59 (#6522848)
Subject: John Deere Technical Manuals

Central Iowa

I have been looking at the techpubs.deere website trying to decide what manual(s) to get so I can do more of my own repairs on my 8410.  There are "Repair", "Diagnostic", and "Operation and Test".
Which of these would I need for general repairs, or will I need all of them to help diagnose and run calibrations on the different systems?  I am guessing I would easily justify all of them in just a repair or two, but don't want to purchase more than I need, if necessary.
What is the general consensus from the knowledge base here?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lefty11
Posted 1/22/2018 09:00 (#6522849 - in reply to #6522848)
Subject: RE: John Deere Technical Manuals

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada
following
deereonly1
Posted 1/22/2018 09:17 (#6522888 - in reply to #6522849)

EC IL
Ive always been a fan of the repair manuals. Handy to get your torque specs, tolerances and diagrams, but with all the electronics on the newer equipment, I could see where the diagnostics manual would be helpful as well.
Kentuck
Posted 1/22/2018 10:22 (#6523036 - in reply to #6522848)

Central Kentucky
I believe you need them all. I know they get pricey but the CD versions are worth it. I try to get them for each of my machines. If you are going to keep machines for more than a couple of years then I know they are worth the money. Just get a cheap laptop and have them right there at your work site. All the manufacturers are high.
thorfarms
Posted 1/22/2018 11:07 (#6523170 - in reply to #6523036)

Lincoln, North Dakota
Dont forget about the engine manual.
That wont be part of the tractor repair manual.
There's a separate CTM manual for that.
You could get by with the repair manual for basic mechanical repairs but wont get any of the diagnostic trouble shooting information. That's what the other two manuals you have listed are for.
Agree on the CDs that's what I have for all my manuals.
E718
Posted 1/22/2018 11:47 (#6523276 - in reply to #6522848)

Sac & Story county IA
I have the repair and diagnostic CD for 9770 combine. Some over 6000 pages in diagnostic manual. Find applicable pages, print and take out to machine. If the pages get dirty, throw them away after the job. My neighbor has that CD printed off for his combine. Comparable size to a bale of hay.

Third handed rumor I heard. Take it with so many grains of salt. Deere may stop making the CDs available to customers. Only internet based. Customer cannot access. Only dealer's mechanics. Might be in the future?
J.L.
Posted 1/22/2018 12:30 (#6523383 - in reply to #6522848)

Iowa
In my experience-all of them. The repair manual will give you the procedures on how to replace/rebuild components while the other book will give you the troubleshooting trees/wiring schematics/and theory of operation for certain systems which I have found handy to get an idea how things actually work.

I have all the printed books for 8020 series and it is one big mother. I'm thinking cd's next time. The printed ones don't come with a binder either and they are all loose pages when you get it.

I like to whine about cnh but they actually have been sending me the sections in laminated books and will send binders with them too.

Edited by J.L. 1/22/2018 12:34
Sandcraft
Posted 1/22/2018 12:33 (#6523388 - in reply to #6523170)

South Central ND
Also mfwd front ends. Different manual fort those as well.
rollig
Posted 1/22/2018 14:55 (#6523671 - in reply to #6522848)

SCMN
Repair is mechanical fixes, Diagnostic and Test is electrical and hydraulic. For what it's worth I've bought a few pdf versions. They are cheaper than the hard copy, allow you to use a search function, and you can "share" them with your friends indefinitely.
crazycactus
Posted 1/22/2018 16:49 (#6523902 - in reply to #6522848)
Subject: Thanks Everyone!

Central Iowa

I went ahead and ordered all 3.  I decided to hold off on the engine manual for now.  The CD's should arrive by the end of the week, if I'm lucky.  I'm pretty sure I will make back the $350ish dollars in short order.
Thanks to all who replied!

730diesel
Posted 1/22/2018 18:55 (#6524191 - in reply to #6523902)
Subject: RE: Thanks Everyone!

NE ND
Use one wiring diagram to find a short and u will be in the black
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)