AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wild Garlic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sjames2
Posted 11/7/2017 19:50 (#6351623)
Subject: Wild Garlic

I have a 5 acre patch that I have farmed the last two yrs that I cannot get rid of. I cut soybeans off it 2 weeks ago and it is coming up in a couple spots pretty thick. I am getting yearly soil test done and building up ground, suggestions? Thanks -Sam
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WJKEIGER
Posted 11/7/2017 20:55 (#6351812 - in reply to #6351623)
Subject: RE: Wild Garlic

nw NC
I am in process of renovating a small relatively steep hillside of permanent grassland. Field is severely infested with wild garlic and horse nettle. It has been grass hay ground "forever". Desirable grasses have about played out and weedy species of grass have taken over. I sprayed the field using 2.5 qts/acre glyphosate and 1 qt/acre 2-4-D using 40 gal/acre of water to enhance getting plant material covered with solution. Stuff is slowly dying. I will get a picture tomorrow for you to see. I intend to drill grass seed over this ground without any tillage as it is so steep.

I have noticed that plants of both garlic and nettle that were run over by wheels and laid flat are much more nearly dead than those that stood upright . I figure that is because the plants that were laid flat got more surface area covered with spray material, thereby absorbing more into the plant's system. In the future if I have wild garlic to spray, I will mash the stuff down with my culti-mulcher before spraying. All info I read about chemical control of wild garlic calls for fall spraying, so now is time for you to do it.

I also sprayed a small field that has been in corn many years in order to kill many winter annuals that were coming in it. I used Paraquat at 1 qt/acre in plenty of water. Wild garlic that was coming in it was turned yellow and very sickened in a few days. Whether the paraquat would have killed it permanently, I do not know. I have since done tillage and drilled a new seeding of grass.
Bleedgreen4940
Posted 11/8/2017 05:44 (#6352202 - in reply to #6351623)

So. Illinois
Wheat in a crop rotation seems to help...Harmony is very good on garlic as is tillage
WJKEIGER
Posted 11/8/2017 11:03 (#6352773 - in reply to #6351812)

nw NC
Here are pictures as promised. I stated that I used 2.5 qts/acre glyphosate, but it was only 2 qts/acre and 1 qt/acre 2-4-D . In looking at the field this morning I believe I should have used 3 qt/acre . Next time I will. The 2-4-D definitely puts a curl into wild garlic quickly. When I sprayed, some of the garlic was 12" or more tall and quite thick in places. It may survive. Smaller garlic looks to have suffered more from the spraying and may die completely. I mentioned that where wheels rolled the garlic down it appears that chemical control is better. Picture where you see my boot at bottom of picture has wheel track left to right just above my boot. The very last picture is from a corn silage field that had 1 qt/acre paraquat. Still a little green showing in the garlic or perhaps it is new growth. This field will get tillage prior to drilling wheat.

I'm thinking that I will spray the grass field again ASAP before seeding no-till with conventional grain drill. I'll use 1 qt/acre paraquat to try to destroy the remaining green in the garlic and any other stuff that has come out since first spraying 3-4 weeks ago.

How much area in your field is involved with garlic? If only small spots, I would spot spray using a strong solution of glyphosate , 3% or more , with a bit of 2-4-D in the mix. Good luck !

https://ag.purdue.edu/btny/weedscience/documents/Wild_Garlic_Final.p...

Edited by WJKEIGER 11/8/2017 11:13

(001 (Medium).JPG)

(002 (Medium).JPG)

(003 (Medium).jpg)

(008 (Medium).jpg)

(010 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001 (Medium).JPG (174KB - 53 downloads)
Attachments 002 (Medium).JPG (195KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 003 (Medium).jpg (231KB - 60 downloads)
Attachments 008 (Medium).jpg (232KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 010 (Medium).jpg (201KB - 51 downloads)
Wayne A
Posted 11/8/2017 19:11 (#6353527 - in reply to #6352773)

Central In
I believe that crushing the garlic opens absorbsion of the chemical. otherwise it runs off the slick surface of the garlic.
Also a finer mist will cover better.

Edited by Wayne A 11/8/2017 19:12
pupdaddy12003
Posted 11/8/2017 22:25 (#6354062 - in reply to #6351623)

NW Central Ohio
I wouldn't be too frustrated by a late application that doesn't seem to be dying quickly. That stuff will make it down in the bulb of that garlic...and by next spring it will just plain die as it tries to send that herbicide back up the plant.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)