AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

plasma cutter.......miller, hypertherm or thermal dynamics????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Red Farmer
Posted 8/6/2017 20:09 (#6171409)
Subject: plasma cutter.......miller, hypertherm or thermal dynamics????

Would like to get a plasma cutter......been looking at the miller 875 auto line cutters.......how the others compare to miller???
Have a Miller wire welder and have had excellent service out of it so kinda wanted to stay miller......
Tell me the good and bad of above mentioned plasma cutters......
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pvafarm
Posted 8/6/2017 20:28 (#6171459 - in reply to #6171409)
Subject: RE: plasma cutter.......miller, hypertherm or thermal dynamics????

Southeast WI
Just get the biggest one you can afford. Whatever you think is big enough probably isn't. I thought cutting 5/8" steel would be enough so I bought one that would sever 7/8". Never enough. You never know what you will build next....
ekeller2
Posted 8/6/2017 20:32 (#6171469 - in reply to #6171409)

So. IL
I thought in the past hypertherm made plasma cutters for Miller? We have been really happy with the hypertherm cutter, not had one problem with it at all. Mine cuts 7/8", I would not buy anything smaller.
Jeffery
Posted 8/6/2017 20:36 (#6171482 - in reply to #6171409)

I like my miller 675. Works for me, and quality name I can get parts for alot of places. Enjoy the 110/220 option at remote locations running off a generator.
kzks
Posted 8/6/2017 21:04 (#6171553 - in reply to #6171482)

My Miller dealer says to buy the Hypertherm
Scott87
Posted 8/6/2017 21:12 (#6171570 - in reply to #6171409)

SW Iowa
I got a Hypertherm 45, it works great. Bigger would be better but it does what I need. Mainly fabricating 1/4-3/8" but will cut 1/2". I went through Weldersuplly.com, cost about $1650, and saved about $700 over local welding shop (LynnWeld). Would rather got it locally but that's a lot of $$ difference. LynnWeld sells Miller but they recommended the Hypertherm as did the other welding shops I talked to.
TP from Central PA
Posted 8/6/2017 21:24 (#6171598 - in reply to #6171409)

Don't buy a Miller Plasma............Biggest junk out there. I bought an old 625 Spectrum and I will admit it was the dumbest purchase ever. In todays world, I would buy a Hypertherm.

I find most Miller products lately over-rated lately.
dt4020
Posted 8/6/2017 21:48 (#6171658 - in reply to #6171598)

Fairbury, NE (Southeast)
Kind of agree. our miller 1000 has been problematic. Had to go through torch head, imagine hypotherm is more reliable.

Either way keep air clean and dry.
bullhauler
Posted 8/6/2017 22:00 (#6171685 - in reply to #6171658)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
I like my Miller 875, have cut alot and has been good, you need a good clean air supply, filter and desicant filter too, or will have alot of torch troubles!
Jeffery
Posted 8/6/2017 22:06 (#6171696 - in reply to #6171598)

TP from Central PA - 8/6/2017 21:24

Don't buy a Miller Plasma............Biggest junk out there. I bought an old 625 Spectrum and I will admit it was the dumbest purchase ever. In todays world, I would buy a Hypertherm.

I find most Miller products lately over-rated lately.

625 is not a 675. I have zero complaints.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 8/6/2017 22:07 (#6171699 - in reply to #6171685)

just a tish NE of central ND
Good to hear from you Terry..... been a while..
illinois-kris
Posted 8/7/2017 02:28 (#6171871 - in reply to #6171409)

IL
Hypertherm is what you'll find in the majority of fab shops. I've been researching them for a little while and from what I've found hypertherm customers seem to be the happiest. I'll be going with a powermax 45xp.
hf213
Posted 8/7/2017 06:14 (#6171923 - in reply to #6171409)

I have Miller 875, really like it, consumables are readily available and reasonable. I like how portable it is. I have cut over 1" with it, slow, but steady, and the cut was smooth, like really smooth and nice. I do a fair amount of aluminum and stainless, and it will go thru that like a breeze.

On mine, the torch gun is about 1/2" from blow hole to outer edge, I use a piece of 1/2" keystock for a guide when doing straight cuts. Layout your marks, use keystock and bring straight edge to that and clamp, then cut. Amazing once you get the knack of it, it will not be far off from looking like it was sheared.

Hanson triangle squares work slick with a plasma too.

Also have templates made for cutting the common sized lights for trucks, so MUCH faster than a circle saw.

Like others said, air filtration is your friend, get a Motorgard filter. The desicant cartridge filter is good, but you can use a roll of toilet paper inside them too.

Whatever you buy, go with the longest torch available for that brand. If you plan on a automated plasma or torch table for the future, you might want to ask if the machine is compatible for it. Some require a different torch head.

IF you are going to use in an enclosed shop, make sure you have good ventilation, they will "kill" the looks of a nice clean shop within a year or 2, especially if cutting a lot of rusty steel. That smoke / dirt clings to the walls and ceiling like no other. Also not only for the shop but you should have or wear breathing mask, unbelieveable what is floating in the air when making the cut, especially aluminum. You can see where I had my priorities, LOL, but it is no joke, at minimum wear a dust mask.
roush9799
Posted 8/7/2017 09:45 (#6172229 - in reply to #6171409)

West Central IL

We have a hypotherm.  Only problem we have is it's in a non heated shop.  If it drops below about 30 degrees it won't work.  Took it in twice to get it fixed, and explain to them, but they take it in their heated shop and can't find the problem.  We just hang a heat lamp over it, or pull it under the heater when we want to use it in the winter.

MiradaAcres
Posted 8/7/2017 15:16 (#6172646 - in reply to #6171570)

scmn
+1 Love my Hypertherm 45, best $400 I ever spend.

Edited by MiradaAcres 8/7/2017 15:17
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)