AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which milk tank is better?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bigbear
Posted 6/21/2017 14:00 (#6082549)
Subject: Which milk tank is better?

North America
What's better? A Mueller or Boumatic milk tank, both are brand new. Warranty is practically the same. I have a boumatic parlour and Mueller tank now so dealer choice is not at play here. I have the 2 quotes in front of me right now and there is 15% between them---- but I am not gonna tell you who is the cheapest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NY ed
Posted 6/21/2017 14:09 (#6082562 - in reply to #6082549)
Subject: RE: Which milk tank is better?

My mueller tank was put in in1969 with no major problems so far (knock on wood). Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results.

I would go with the cheaper option. jmho
eweland
Posted 6/21/2017 15:09 (#6082621 - in reply to #6082549)

east central MN
Mueller hands down. Around here dairykool tanks are like 1990's ford taurses, ever other one left the factory with a bullet hole in the motor. I have the Mueller variable speed fan compressor and love that too!
Troy44deere
Posted 6/21/2017 15:46 (#6082659 - in reply to #6082549)

Manheim PA
I haul milk part time I think the Muller is better at draining out. We have a Muller at home with water cooled compressor winch can cool much better. Catch the water from the compressor and use for the cows they like warm water better.
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 6/21/2017 16:03 (#6082682 - in reply to #6082549)

northeastern Ohio
In 1987 we built a new parlor and put in a new Surge 1500 gallon tank with two 5 hp compressors. It worked great and cooled fast. In 1995 we needed to upgrade to a 2000 gallon.

We purchased a tank from Surge, but by then they were made by Mueller. We installed it and cooling was terrible!!!!! Not even close to the specs. Our dealer made many calculations and tried everything to get it to cool better with no success. Surge sent another tank and it was worse!!!!!!! They sent area reps and company techs and none of them could make it cool normally.

They finally did a flow test and found that the plates did not have enough flow. They sent a guy with a tank of high pressure nitrogen and expanded one plate to see if that would fix the problem. It worked!!! Surge showed all the test results to Mueller and proved that Mueller was responsible for the poor performing tanks (our tanks were not the only ones with this problem.... all the Surge tanks that Mueller was shipping at that time were under spec). Mueller "fixed" the problem and sent us a THIRD tank.

Tank #3 performed perfectly... until 2010 when it developed a Freon leak at one of the plates. We had it repaired at a cost of about $2700. Repair guy told me that it was a poor design with too few of support legs. This allows the tank to flex and weakens the spot welds.

So long story and I'm not sure that I have a point. Was Mueller to blame for the poor cooling? Was Mueller to blame for the poor design? I don't know the answer. They might have simply been following Surge specs and the failures would be the fault of Surge. Or they might have cut some corners to make a competitor's product look poor..... But it makes me hesitate recommending Mueller.

I would call the tank repair guy (he advertises in the Hoards classifieds) and ask him for his expert opinion on which is the better design. I would think the main factors would be plate area (might not matter if the flow is poor), number of legs and thickness of material used (compare the weight of each tank).

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 6/21/2017 16:04
jmarfarms
Posted 6/21/2017 16:25 (#6082707 - in reply to #6082549)

Waterloo,NY
My father in law is a dairy equipment repair guy(with no money attached to either company) he says get the mueller
cowfeeder
Posted 6/21/2017 16:28 (#6082709 - in reply to #6082549)

Northwest Iowa
I have owned both and would not be afraid of either one. I had a 2000 gal Mueller installed in 1995, sold it to a friend in 2007. Other then the occasional freon recharge, it was and still is a good tank. I was even filling it daily the last few years, so I worked it fairly hard. I replaced it with a 7000 gal Boumatic that I like also. We have run it hard also and can't complain. It was cheaper then the Mueller when I priced them due to the Canadian exchange rate and that is why I went to Boumatic. If dealer isn't an issue, buy the one that fits your budget.

(Bulk Tank 003.jpg)

(Bulk Tank 006.jpg)

(Bulk Tank 021.jpg)

(Bulk Tank 061.jpg)

(Bulk Tank 029.jpg)

(Bulk Tank 065.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bulk Tank 003.jpg (113KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments Bulk Tank 006.jpg (114KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments Bulk Tank 021.jpg (52KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments Bulk Tank 061.jpg (126KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments Bulk Tank 029.jpg (105KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments Bulk Tank 065.jpg (90KB - 86 downloads)
OMC260
Posted 6/22/2017 08:46 (#6083856 - in reply to #6082549)

Sioux Center, Iowa

Can't comment on BouMatic. Put in a new Mueller in 2007, thinking it was the Cadillac.  Only thing I like is it cools really well.  Agitator drives have gone out more often than I can count. Keep a spare on hand.  Spigot valve always wanted to drip.  Ended up putting the butterfly shaft in a vice and twisting it to close far enough.  Wash system is difficult to work on when pump needs work. Multiple problems with wash system. Chemical mixing funnel wanted to run over and etc.  Not impressed with engineering.  Agitator paddles never have cleaned well. Seems they are curved too far to wash on the bottom side.  Pair of scroll compressors have gone out twice if memory serves.  (may not have been set up right )    Not what I expected I guess. New ones may be better.

mndairyfarmer
Posted 6/22/2017 14:12 (#6084340 - in reply to #6082549)

swmn
I've had a dairycool for 15 years now and bought it used but only a few years old. Been good. Have replaced some compressors and the agitator motor. Am happy with the tank
sammyd
Posted 6/22/2017 17:40 (#6084576 - in reply to #6082549)

Stratford WI
Spend the money on the Mueller
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)