AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best tire bead breakers and tools for tractor tires for farmer use
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GKW
Posted 6/2/2017 23:17 (#6051216)
Subject: Best tire bead breakers and tools for tractor tires for farmer use

West Central Iowa
First time I'm going to to try changing sprayer tires. What does everyone prefer for breakers and tools?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
blr
Posted 6/3/2017 01:06 (#6051267 - in reply to #6051216)
Subject: RE: Best tire bead breakers and tools for tractor tires for farmer use

southern saskatchewan
Buy a air over hydraulic bead breaker like the tire shop uses. Our only regret was not buying one sooner. It will last you a long time . Buying a good bead blaster was also money well spent.
ndsu84
Posted 6/3/2017 02:59 (#6051281 - in reply to #6051267)

EC North Dakota
+1 on above.

Also Dad bought a tool you hook on the bead then use the impact to pull the tire off the rim. Makes irrigation tires far easier.
hillfarmer
Posted 6/3/2017 04:34 (#6051294 - in reply to #6051281)

if like my 46 inch on the 854

don't think I have changed a tire that easy
the drop rim just makes it a fun job

the fenders are a pain for clearance

the hydraulic breaker might have helped a bunch also

amazon for the $800

looks like they are affordable
google search

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=201837309092&&&dispItem=1&chn=ps
Chuck
Posted 6/3/2017 06:06 (#6051360 - in reply to #6051281)

Wolcottville,Indiana
That sounds better than bars and cheaters, Do you have a name for it?
Bruised Spud
Posted 6/3/2017 06:51 (#6051415 - in reply to #6051267)

Chaffee, Western New York
+1. Gemplers has the screw thread (put an impact wrench on it) models. Unique truck equipper has both hydraulic and screw.

Took me three years of watching eBay before getting just the hydralic head for under $200. I run mine with a protapower.

Buy lube. Good lube. Bead butter or Fry the wheel man tire grease.

Get the tire changing instructions poster from Gemplers. When you get hands on with a 400# tire only once a year (we can hope less often) having a game plan helps.
ndsu84
Posted 6/3/2017 08:16 (#6051556 - in reply to #6051360)

EC North Dakota
No I don't.

It's about 5 feet long with a screw on one end and the hooks on the other. Picked it up at big iron. Possibly Acme Electric?
kagen
Posted 6/3/2017 09:07 (#6051647 - in reply to #6051415)

Panhandle of Ne.
ccjersey
Posted 6/3/2017 09:37 (#6051683 - in reply to #6051216)
Subject: Backhoe!

Faunsdale, AL
Gotten a lot of use out of a backhoe changing tires around here lately. Have to be careful not to gouge a hole in the sidewall or bend the rim, but it will "git er dun". It's easier when the tires are junk but you can take your time and get it done without damage to the old tire.

Yesterday we swapped out the tire on a dual on my 6030 (child's play with a helper, a couple long tire irons and the backhoe). Then moved on to two old wheel loader tires that had been rusting on the rim for the last 20 years or so. Even the backhoe had to work around the wheel a couple times to get those loose! The last one, once we squashed the sidewall down as far as possible, we helped with the breaking wedge and sledge hammer. That was a lot quicker and less effort than just working around the rim several times with the backhoe bucket.

The nicest thing about the backhoe is breaking the inside bead loose. That was always the most awkward part of changing a rear tractor tire using breaking wedges and the sledge hammer. Of course it also breaks the outside bead too and makes getting the old tire off the rim a snap compared to just tire irons and sledge hammer.

Word of warning, break the beads with the tractor sitting on the ground or with jack all the way down at least. It's easy to push it off the jack before the beads break loose sometimes.
qmark
Posted 6/3/2017 13:47 (#6051978 - in reply to #6051683)
Subject: RE: Backhoe!

saskatchewan and Washington
I have broke a lot of beads with a 6 in. chunk of 2x2 angle iron and a sledge hammer.
GM Guy
Posted 6/3/2017 14:13 (#6052009 - in reply to #6051216)

NW KS/ SC ID
For those in the know, how useful is a forklift? We dont have a backhoe, but we do have a 3pt forklift on a 150 hp tractor. It has duals, and the duals are fine. changing the inners. Stab around while its on the ground and get them all broke loose, then jack it up and remove duals?

the forks are easy to remove, so I was thinking ditch one and just try to break the bead with one fork. Think it will work?
ekeller2
Posted 6/3/2017 15:39 (#6052105 - in reply to #6052009)

So. IL
I use the forks on the bobcat all the time for this, quickest way I have found. Duck bill hammer and slide hamme on the ones I can't get to with the forks.
WYDave
Posted 6/3/2017 16:24 (#6052150 - in reply to #6051683)
Subject: RE: Backhoe!

Wyoming

When I was changing lots of tires for pivots, tractors, pickups, etc - I used a backhoe all the time. It was soooo much simpler than using the bars and spoons.

The method I liked to use was to bring one of the stabilizers all the way down to the ground, and then on the other side, bring the stab down part way, then wiggle the tire to be where the bead would be pushed off by the other stab, missing the rim. Hop in the cab, push down on the stab over the tire, poof, Bob's your uncle. 

ccjersey
Posted 6/3/2017 21:42 (#6052655 - in reply to #6052009)

Faunsdale, AL
I think you will need some way to blunt the fork or you will simply stab it through the sidewall if the tire/wheel is still on the tractor If one is really stuck you would want the wheel off laying on the floor so the tip of the fork will slide into the space between rim flange and tire bead.

The forklift will have little to no downpressure. The skid loader wouldn't have a lot but you would have the ability to angle the forks a lot better to get the tip in the right place. In either case, the wheel tends to slide away as you push on it. Have the same problem using the backhoe bucket, but its easier to stick a tooth or two in the crack to wedge it loose as you press down.

Had the local tire guys install tires on my 9170. Never had seen their setup in operation before and was very impressed by their ability to use their hoist to push the tire sidewall in and break the beads loose. I can see that a really stuck, rusty rim and tire would require a traditional hydraulic wedge tool to move the bead but the usual case does not require that. So a forklift might do some good, but would not be ideal in my opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)