AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tub Grinders
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

EWcountyksfarmer
Posted 2/17/2017 18:51 (#5846623)
Subject: Tub Grinders

Do tub grinders tear tractors up? 20 years ago my uncle would grind for my dad and dad always said that he would'nt own a tub grinder because they are too hard on a tractor, so he had it hired done for several years and the last 5 years he hasn't ground. At some point I might buy a tub grinder to go behind a tractor. What is a good tractor to go behind one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sbfarms
Posted 2/17/2017 19:27 (#5846697 - in reply to #5846623)
Subject: RE: Tub Grinders

NW Wyoming
Short answer, yes they are hard on tractors. Especially PTO clutches. We replaced several PTO clutches in our older 30 and 40 series Deere tractors. We have been using 8000 series tractors in front of an H1100 Haybuster for about 20 years now and so far have had very good luck. If you grind much wet hay or grass hay, you will still have problems. The one thing to make sure of is to buy a grinder with a governor on it and make sure it is working right. Ours has an electronic governor and if it is working correctly it protects the tractor by nor overloading it. We can tell if it isn't working right because it starts to really slug the tractor because it doesn't stop turning the tub when the rpm's drop. The other thing on the haybusters to consider is to make sure to keep the drive belts tight. You can smoke a set in no time if they get a little bit loose.
EWcountyksfarmer
Posted 2/17/2017 19:44 (#5846747 - in reply to #5846697)

What about a bale processor, what are they like on tractors? Sounds like to me, buy a 4630 or 4640 john deere or a 1466 or 1486 ih or an old case and put it on a tub grinder and run it til it craps out. Sounds to me like I wouldnt put a good tractor on one
mutt
Posted 2/17/2017 19:58 (#5846784 - in reply to #5846623)

nw kansas
Sbfarms is right, not set right or working right tears up stuff.
dieselfume1
Posted 2/17/2017 20:23 (#5846841 - in reply to #5846623)

SE MT
EWcountyksfarmer - 2/17/2017 18:51

Do tub grinders tear tractors up? 20 years ago my uncle would grind for my dad and dad always said that he would'nt own a tub grinder because they are too hard on a tractor, so he had it hired done for several years and the last 5 years he hasn't ground. At some point I might buy a tub grinder to go behind a tractor. What is a good tractor to go behind one?

If you're like me, you want a low maintenance tub grinder, that's why I bought the RotoGrind 760. very few moving parts, has a good electronic governor on it. More forgiving on tractor PTO's then other grinders out there. Not long after we bought ours, I bought a 4630 powershift for 14K with an old 158 loader. That tractor had somewhere between 12,000 and 14,000 hours on it when I bought it, and it ran that grinder hard for I believe around 3 years with no breakdowns. Ground about 1000 bales per year with it.

Total investment with the tractor and grinder I was into it around $32K

Sold the RotoGrind and the Rotomix feed truck setup in 2013 for a Highline bale pro 650 with MGIS (grain tank) to replace them. Very happy with the end result.

But if you're grinding for TMR, you'll be best served by that Rotogrind than any others in my opinion.

The 4630 is going to be the cheapest HP per dollar out there. If you're only going to use it for PTO use, then I'd suggest looking for a Quad Range or Syncroshift. Those PTO setups were a little stronger, and could be serviced with only splitting the tractor once instead of twice like on the 8 speed powershift.... Although I will say so far, the 8 speed powershift is much nicer to drive for doing chore work like loading hay, running a manure spreader and things like that. So plan accordingly.

Also keep in mind these tractors are 40 years old. Be cautious if you choose to buy because most of these tractors have all had brake failures by now, and I'd wan't to check the sump screen on any one I looked at. Getting tractors from folks that look like they take care of things, or have records of the work that's been done helps as well...

Don't be surprised if at some point you have to have it split and have some work done, but the parts are relatively cheap compared to newer stuff, and the startup cost is MUCH less. They're just a good old workhorse..

Here's the video of mine a few years back with the RotoGrinder 4630 combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njayO7pv0k&t=314s

If you want to chat more, E mail is good.
Big Square
Posted 2/17/2017 21:48 (#5847045 - in reply to #5846623)

Eastern Half of Kansas
Short answer yes. I'm not going to tell you not to try it but due to time fuel and speed, you'll be back to hiring it done. When they can come here and grind 70 bales in 70 minutes for about $400 bucks, why fight it. (I guess if a guy isn't available to you).

To answer grinder vrs. Bale processor, they're far from the same and would have different goals IMO. But they're easy on tractor.

Edited by Big Square 2/17/2017 23:35
oldskool
Posted 2/17/2017 22:16 (#5847091 - in reply to #5847045)

Big Square is right. If your time is worth anything at all just keep hiring it done. Personally I like pulling wrenches and at this point in my life I'm willing to sacrifice a few hours labor for a few extra dollars. So for the past 2 years have ground for 600cows and 700sheep with a 4440 and h1100. Saved enough money to put an engine in front of the old girl this summer. Only 350hp for now so still no bale/minute operation, but after the last 2 years it's like going from a bicycle to a crotch rocket.
Offroadnt
Posted 2/17/2017 22:55 (#5847145 - in reply to #5846623)

Southern Alberta Canada
We have Roto Grind 1090 here that we run with a 2390 I'd argue it's no harder on the tractor then a big square baler chugging away at 26 to 35 strokes a minute. It'll bring the tractor down but there is enough inertia in the rotor it doesn't really shock load the tractor. They also way easier starting then a baler.
dieselfume1
Posted 2/17/2017 23:52 (#5847185 - in reply to #5847145)

SE MT
Offroadnt - 2/17/2017 22:55

We have Roto Grind 1090 here that we run with a 2390 I'd argue it's no harder on the tractor then a big square baler chugging away at 26 to 35 strokes a minute. It'll bring the tractor down but there is enough inertia in the rotor it doesn't really shock load the tractor. They also way easier starting then a baler.

The rotogrind brand alone I think is much better on the tractors than most others.... the rotogrind 760 we had was plenty for our 4630, but we ground alot of grass, and grass alfalfa mix.

Usually I could get 15 bales per hr in grass hay, 18-22/hr with grass alfalfa mix. Tractor used 11 gal/hr, so it was costing me around $1.40 per bale in fuel, or around $27.50 /hr to operate.... Granted, it took me 2-3 hours to do what the custom job got done in 1. but their costs were up around $300 per hour when we quit using them. which is about $6 per bale.

If you like throwing $5 bills out the window, keep using the custom job! Plus with the Rotogrind, you can grind when you want, when it's not windy, or don't have to have a bunch of hay piled up before a storm... keeps you hay more fresh when you don't grind a big pile all at once.

We were spending over $10,000 per year on custom grinding before we switched. We paid for the grinder and the tractor in the 3 years time we owned it. It's a no brainer.
Offroadnt
Posted 2/18/2017 07:37 (#5847411 - in reply to #5847185)

Southern Alberta Canada
Is that round bales Dieselfume1? I don't run the tub grinder here but I know he doesn't do over ten bales an hour straight alfalfa in big square bales.
durallymax
Posted 2/18/2017 08:20 (#5847502 - in reply to #5846697)

Wi
X2 keep the belts tight and warm them up before working it. Doing this will keep the issues away. We had some guys that wouldn't do this and would smoke the belts every time, sometimes accompanied by a nice little fire. Usually ran 200-300hp on our 1100.

Make sure to check the tractor from time to time, or add an external light for any idiot alarms if it's an older one.

If we still did a lot of grinding I would rig up a remote control for the tub tilt. The quicker you can tilt that when things go wrong, the fewer issues you will have.

We had a rotogrind for 15 minutes, apparently they are not built very heavy.

Edited by durallymax 2/18/2017 08:24
dieselfume1
Posted 2/18/2017 09:12 (#5847615 - in reply to #5847411)

SE MT
Offroadnt - 2/18/2017 07:37

Is that round bales Dieselfume1? I don't run the tub grinder here but I know he doesn't do over ten bales an hour straight alfalfa in big square bales.

Yes.

We put up 5x5.5 rounds. They generally run about 1300 lbs once they've had a couple weeks to dry out in the field.

What's one of the big squares weigh?

How many hp tractor does he have in front of the grinder?
dieselfume1
Posted 2/18/2017 09:14 (#5847617 - in reply to #5846747)

SE MT
EWcountyksfarmer - 2/17/2017 19:44

What about a bale processor, what are they like on tractors? Sounds like to me, buy a 4630 or 4640 john deere or a 1466 or 1486 ih or an old case and put it on a tub grinder and run it til it craps out. Sounds to me like I wouldnt put a good tractor on one

This is what we traded the tub grinder and feed truck for-

Never looked back. I do some comparison of it to tmr mixer and tub grinder in the vid-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyr9FauQXUM
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/18/2017 10:34 (#5847780 - in reply to #5846623)

just a tish NE of central ND
Yes they can be hard on pto's. My take on tub grinders is a little like this..... I have one for personal use.I dont grind very much with it but am glad I have it. I perfer to use a tractor with a wet clutch system. A dry clutch will overheat in jerkey conditions.I feed it dry hay, and I will peal outsides off of a bale if it looks to be wet. You cant put wet scnit in a grinder and expect dry candycanes to come outthe other end. I threw away the old h1000 haybuster electric governer that didnt work when I bought it and the new replacement was a much more sensitive governor.Even then if a clod drops in the cylinder it will jerk like heck on the pto. The old govener destroyed a guys pto. on a deere 4x4. The guy isnt very mechanical so he didnt figure out why his pto got torn out but the original goveners wouldnt stop the tub at all when the rpms dropped. I am a bit fussy about what I put through that machine. You have to use your head. The previous owner would gather up all the hay butts ouf of every bale feeder in the middle of winter and grind it up all at one time and re fead it.A lot of it is long wire-y stalks of slough grass and wet leftovers and the dirt from scooping it up and moisutre left that the cows wouldnt eat. In my opinion, manure stuff that should be used for bedding at best. Then drop that into a grinder that the hammers were round as a banna and the screens were worn oblong and blunt........ there went the pto clutch.
I guess Im different, if I dont hear a little belt squeel once in a while when sharp hard slugs go through I feel the belts are too tight.I feel that the slippage once in a while helps take some of the pounding and abuse off of the clutch in the tractor.Now, if you have a 300 hp tractor on a 200 horsepower machine, that can be hard to determins how much slippage should be allowed. Even a 200 horsepower tractor on a h 1000 will smoke the belts long and steady on normal grinding of you run it through as fast as the combination of grinder and horsepower will allow you to.
Dry afalfa will go through like butter. Reed canary grass that was baled tuff..... yes you could easily wreck something with it as it normally grinds very hard.
Offroadnt
Posted 2/18/2017 17:35 (#5848404 - in reply to #5847615)

Southern Alberta Canada
Just over 1800lb to a ton as a rule, the 2390 has 185 engine hp I think. They are a super tractor for that job as they have the best radiator, grill and pre cleaner for the air filter. The fellow that runs it has no clue, he just starts it and feeds hay to it when it spits out the top. Sometimes someone else comes along and fiddles with the adjustments then I drive by and fix it again. It's kind of a funny operation. I'm sure I could get twice the product through it but I leave him with a big safety margin.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)