AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

03 Chevy dually fuel tank issue
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

olddeerefever
Posted 1/6/2017 10:03 (#5748459)
Subject: 03 Chevy dually fuel tank issue

NE Kansas
We have a 1 ton cab & chassis (Duramax diesel) with dual tanks and fuel gauge quit and will only pull out of 1 fuel tank, anyone ever have this problem or know where to check? There is no switch for changing tanks. Not very handy with only 18 gal. and no fuel gauge. Dealer just said bring it in, isn't that there standard response!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmhand1
Posted 1/6/2017 10:09 (#5748472 - in reply to #5748459)
Subject: RE: 03 Chevy dually fuel tank issue

Just bought an 03 duramax service truck and has two spots to put diesel in, didn't look if it has two tanks or just one but my fuel gauge also doesn't work. Let me know what solves problem!
Indianajones
Posted 1/6/2017 12:25 (#5748796 - in reply to #5748459)

These units only pull fuel for the engine out of the front tank and the rear tank transfers fuel into the front tank. There is a transfer module which controls the system and also averages the fuel level in both tanks for the gauge.
Could also be the gauge but if not transferring fuel, could be the module or pump.
INDY
Bamcustoms
Posted 1/6/2017 12:48 (#5748849 - in reply to #5748796)

Lakeville, MN
Sounds like the rear sender failed. If it faults out it quits reading both and also quits trying to transfer. If you don't have a upper level scan tool to check what's going on or run pump comand tests just take it somewhere.
TheKid
Posted 1/6/2017 17:36 (#5749336 - in reply to #5748459)

Pennsylvania
I had problems with the fuel cap not venting right and I feel that this is why my back sender had issues. It screwed up my gauge and wouldn't use the back tank. Left me sitting along the road twice with the back tank full. I drilled a hole in my fuel caps and changed the sending unit.
olddeerefever
Posted 1/6/2017 18:44 (#5749508 - in reply to #5748459)

NE Kansas
Well my son thinks he has fixed it, he read where sometimes if your fueling the truck without shutting it off, not sure if fueling rear tank or front tank but the gauge doesn't register correct with amount of fuel in the tank so it throws an error code and gauge won't work and shows a check engine light, which it was on also. He remembers when he fueled it he left it running, so figured that was hopefully the problem. He connected his code reader and cleared the code and now gauge works so hopefully that cured the problem, so I guess maybe we'll remember to shut it off when fueling so that doesn't happen again.
Bamcustoms
Posted 1/7/2017 00:04 (#5750239 - in reply to #5749508)

Lakeville, MN
What codes were set?
Nathan (SD)
Posted 1/7/2017 00:25 (#5750253 - in reply to #5749508)

Day Co. SD

Used to happen on our 2005 also. Finally got clued in to shut it off when fueling. I just disconnected the batteries to reset the fuel system.

This is only a problem on the cab and chassis models.
biscuit
Posted 1/7/2017 01:43 (#5750270 - in reply to #5748459)

I've got the same issue with an '05 Duramax cab/chassis for the last two weeks. I'm driving off only the front tank and using the DIC to monitor fuel used so I don't get stranded. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

This guy explains some of the issues with 2001-2005 cab/chassis Duramax dual tanks. There are apparently other possibilities. One known trigger is simply fueling the truck with the engine running and filling the rear tank first.

http://www.justanswer.com/gmc/6mbhb-gmc-c3500-hd-chas-cab-03-gmc-du...

"... Ok, there are several repairs that have been developed for these concerns. First: if one of the senders has an open circuit or sticks, it will cause this concern. GM has developed new senders for the rear and front tank. ( They both need to be replaced) Second: the rear tank fill spud extends too far into the tank and the rear sender can get caught on it. GM say to replace the tank with an updated tank with a shorter fill spud. Third: there is a new vent kit to be installed on the front tank. It raises the fill hoses from the rear tank so it does actually fill the front tank.( I will try to get you the bulletin for this one) Fourth: There is an updated ECM program that needs to be installed. It helps prevent false indications and sensitivity from the senders, and causeing the gauge to read inacuratly or default to zero. ..."

Edited by biscuit 1/7/2017 02:04
olddeerefever
Posted 1/7/2017 08:52 (#5750682 - in reply to #5750270)

NE Kansas
Thanks biscuit, that maybe what my son read but I will show him and see if he needs to do anything further.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)