AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Iron Planet auction any Good??or a CON!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tazzerblue
Posted 7/22/2016 08:52 (#5425172)
Subject: Is Iron Planet auction any Good??or a CON!!

SW MN
I was looking at a tractor they have listed... Its about 4 hr drive to look at it. If it actually is there!!! I called Iron planet and asked about the SN# and they claim they can not read the entire #. And I wanted to talk with the seller, and actual go check it out. He told me they don't do that!!! They don't allow actual hands on inspection??? How can you sell anything that way???? The photos show a sticker of the company on it. I called them and am waiting for a call back. Thing is, a tractor equipped the same, is also listed on another auction about 45 days from now This tractor has unusual tires.. Any one have any experience with Iron Planet Auctions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Swearingen
Posted 7/22/2016 09:05 (#5425204 - in reply to #5425172)
Subject: RE: Is Iron Planet auction any Good??or a CON!!

North Central Iowa
I don't, but I hate they make you sign up to look at listings. I never look at their site.
Nathan (SD)
Posted 7/22/2016 09:30 (#5425240 - in reply to #5425172)

Day Co. SD

I haven't looked at their site in years, but they used to have oil analysis samples and piles of photos.

If there is no picture of the serial no, that would make me very suspicious. Not too hard to post a photo these days.

Back in 2009 they were a great place to deal with. Things might have changed since then.

crowbar
Posted 7/22/2016 11:50 (#5425456 - in reply to #5425172)

Hazelton, Kansas
Kevin,

I've bought two SA truck tractors from Truck Planet, which I believe is the same firm.

My experience with them is that you will either play by their rules or you don't play. That's understandable. In my opinion, the buyer bears quite a bit more risk than when buying from a dealer, but I've been satisfied with both the trucks I've bought. They didn't misrepresent either truck.

Look the pictures over carefully, and assume there will be a few issues you won't see. Monetize your concerns into your bid, and place a bid a few thousand under your maximum comfort level. I sometimes just put in a max bid and check back after the close.

Your mileage may vary.

Regards.

MDS

jmert
Posted 7/22/2016 11:58 (#5425465 - in reply to #5425172)

West Central Indiana
We just Bought a truck from truck planet. In my opinion, they could get a lot more for their equipment if they would allow inspections. The oil analysis is just a snapshot of that time. You Dont know if the oil was changed the day before.

Our truck so far looks to be a good one, and was bought for about $15000 under current market. The company is legit, just make sure to pad your bid on the low side to allow for unexpected repairs. You never know what you're gonna get until its yours.
Sodbustr
Posted 7/22/2016 12:23 (#5425515 - in reply to #5425172)

Western Iowa
Iron planet has been around a long time. Yes, they can sell stuff just fine not allowing a personal inspection.

They do have detailed pics and usually a real accurate description and almost every item comes with the 'Assurance' where if it shows up not like it was represented, they stand behind it.

I think the not allowing a personal inspection is attractive to some sellers. Don't have to fend calls from every knot head when the bidding is at $2000 for a $10,000 item.

I have had luck with dealers selling on iron planet by looking at the pictures and the zip code they give you. Doesn't take long to figure out where something actually is at. If it is at a private lot it is almost impossible.

Iron planet may struggle going forward, as even after the sale they are trying to control all communication. That part is a real joke when trying to line up a truck
Tazzerblue
Posted 7/22/2016 12:55 (#5425581 - in reply to #5425515)
Subject: If I'm bidding on a 100.000.00 item.

SW MN
I sure would like to ride and drive myself. check unit over ect. So what your saying is only bid 60% of that, that's good for the seller..
Tazzerblue
Posted 7/22/2016 13:29 (#5425652 - in reply to #5425172)
Subject: Same tractor listed on RB sale in September.

SW MN
upon more examination of the photo's its the same tractor.. So What Goes??? High Reserve?? I think I'll call Iron Planet again and do some chewing...
Sodbustr
Posted 7/22/2016 15:01 (#5425774 - in reply to #5425581)
Subject: RE: If I'm bidding on a 100.000.00 item.

Western Iowa
I am just saying you may not like there methods and type of sale, but it has been around for years with the same type of sales. Iron planet is typically not a place to find a bargain. You can cuss them all you want, but many people like there auction model.

Buddy of mine just bought a dozer off of there a month ago. Find out it was also sold on there 3 months ago. When 2nd buyer got it, it had a drive issue. Iron planet paid dealer to come out and find problem. Dealer played for a short day and then threw a crazy number at iron planet to take it to the shop to work on it. Iron planet paid repair ticket and refunded 2nd owner in full, including trucking then resold it on a later sale.

Like all auction companies, you can find flaws and what could be improved, but at least on Iron Planet they likely will stand behind the sales items. Keeps guys from dumping something with known problems and not saying a word. There is a reason the 'jockeys' don't use iron planet. Can't stick something up someones butt and say too bad when they pick up the junk........
GM Guy
Posted 7/23/2016 01:25 (#5426754 - in reply to #5425172)

NW KS/ SC ID
Probably some bargains, IMO the site and their anal behavior is mostly why I dont even pull up the site. :)

graystonefarms
Posted 7/23/2016 04:18 (#5426783 - in reply to #5425172)

Maryland
I bought a track loader off of them a few years back. It was exactly as advertised. I liked the fact it gave me all of the oil analysis and exact measurements of all of the undercarriage. Probably better than if I was there in person. How many people bring a micrometer to check out used equipment? If I was buying online, that was too far away to look at myself, I would be very comfortable with their assessment.
cowski
Posted 7/23/2016 09:58 (#5427200 - in reply to #5425172)

Alabama
i bought 2 items from them last year . i was pleased with both of them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)