AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best gas tank repair?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tom Graham
Posted 9/5/2008 17:39 (#452659)
Subject: Best gas tank repair?

Henderson, Minnesota
Saddle tank on a C 65 is leaking. What's the best way to repair? JBWeld?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
boog
Posted 9/5/2008 19:02 (#452705 - in reply to #452659)
Subject: Re: Best gas tank repair?

I had a gas tank on an old grain truck start leaking at the seam several years ago. I tried JB WEld on it but never had any luck as gas would seep thru it before it had a chance to settup. I got some special gas tank repair putty at the local auto parts store that is made to seal tanks that still have gas in them without having to drain the tank. . I believe it was made by FastWeld. That was probably 15 years ago & it's still holding.

I have also repaired gas tanks by soldering them using a iron that you heat with a torch then use the iron to do the soldering.

Edited by boog 9/5/2008 19:04
guessrow
Posted 9/5/2008 19:24 (#452726 - in reply to #452659)
Subject: hoist up the radiator cap.....

Le Sueur VIA St.Thomas
drive a new Sterling under it, reattach and go!- you can't take that wallet with you,ya know...

ok,ok, actually, I think I bought 'gas tank repair' at NAPA a long time ago. It worked well as I remember.

good luck- jim

BTW, are you headed to St. Thomas tomorrow?

gr ecks
Posted 9/5/2008 19:33 (#452729 - in reply to #452659)
Subject: RE: Best gas tank repair?

I have had good luck with JB. Polish to bright metal and put it on and let it set up and put tank back in place. It's leaking where it sits on a saddle I would guess.
Tom Graham
Posted 9/5/2008 20:07 (#452755 - in reply to #452726)
Subject: Pioneer Power Appreciation picnic tomorrow

Henderson, Minnesota
The columnist will be there.
cowhater
Posted 9/5/2008 21:04 (#452800 - in reply to #452659)

DE
there is special gas tank repair kit. two separate compounds in plastic pouch. break the seal that separates the two and squeeze the two together to mix. this stuff gets extremely hot so wear gloves. put layer of mixed putty over hole with applicator stick, then put a patch of fiberglass patch over putty that is supplied with kit then put another layer of putty over patch. WORK FAST!!!!!!!!!!!! it sets up quick!! I mean really quick.
rambo
Posted 9/5/2008 22:05 (#452862 - in reply to #452659)

Remsen, Iowa
One guy told me to use chewing gum. Think I used juicy fruit. Looks good for about a year by now. This was on a rivet that come loose on the side of a fuel tank.
sri
Posted 9/6/2008 00:52 (#453016 - in reply to #452659)

nw pa
  Have had as good of luck with furnace cement as anything dries quick and easy to come by.,.  Have a quart on hand most times for those leak emergencies.
Jon Hagen
Posted 9/6/2008 15:15 (#453347 - in reply to #453016)
Subject: Re: Best gas tank repair?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Have had good luck using the epoxy stick/putty formula, even works on a full gas/ diesel tank. You need to clean an area about the size of a quarter with sand paper, then use a match head size bit of putty to stop the fuel flow. Dry the area around that bit of putty and apply enough to cover about a 1 inch area. The putty dries very rigid, so if the tank broke because it flexes where it rests on a saddle, then the epoxy putty will crack loose from further flexing and will not work. Used to have good luck fixing oil and gas leaks using a product in a yellow tube (cant remember the name) but this stuff stayed flexible and would seal a flex induced crack.

Edited by Jon Hagen 9/6/2008 20:12
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)