AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smidley Hog Water Lid Noise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

YoungOne
Posted 6/19/2016 19:58 (#5364610)
Subject: Smidley Hog Water Lid Noise

NE Iowa
Has anyone had any success minimizing the noise of the lids on Smidley stainless steel hog waters? I have about 8 and the tinging never stops. It doesnt bother me but trying to be conscientious of neighbors. I was thinking of putting some kind of epoxy under the lid to dampen the noise. Will it work? Do you know of any good products that will stay on stainless steel in a hog environment?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnny skeptical
Posted 6/19/2016 20:00 (#5364615 - in reply to #5364610)
Subject: RE: Smidley Hog Water Lid Noise

n.c.iowa

give them a call tomorrow, they have a solution.

YoungOne
Posted 6/19/2016 20:13 (#5364651 - in reply to #5364615)

NE Iowa
What's the solution? You mean I cant patten my idea lol
johnny skeptical
Posted 6/19/2016 20:26 (#5364693 - in reply to #5364651)

n.c.iowa

I used to work there.
kinda a interesting story to this as I was working there when a "neighbor" called about his neighbor that had a smidley waterer and the noise of the pigs banging the lids was disturbing his "peace and quiet". 

there is more to this story, but you get the gist.     anyway the plant manager came back and wanted to know if I had any ideas, well the first idea was to take the lids off,  for whatever reason that wasn't going to be possible. so we came up with several ideas(nylon lids, rubber bumpers on the lids, rubberized front edge on the hog bar, etc.).  don't remember what exactly they ended up doing, but it seemed to solve the problem.

40/20vision
Posted 6/19/2016 21:45 (#5364902 - in reply to #5364610)

NCIA
Oh the sounds of summer. Many a nights I feel asleep to that sound. We always wired them open or took them off for the summer. Us tight a$$ pig farmers didn't like to wear them out in the summer months when they weren't needed.
Paul(WI)
Posted 6/20/2016 07:37 (#5365423 - in reply to #5364610)

We have 4,4 hole drinkers. Just the other morning I remembered why I don't replace the lids anymore. One was playing with one of only two lids left on yet at 4:30 in the morning. I did find the heaters last longer with the lids off. I think the vibration of the lids banging would vibrate the elements out of their holder and then lay in the plurk.
Benji
Posted 6/20/2016 14:50 (#5365933 - in reply to #5365423)

Anyone remember the round outdoor feeders that had lids that pigs would open with snout? And then drop when finished.
Could hear banging sound around the farm at all times growing up, And through the windows during the summer nights. Memories
Kooiker
Posted 6/20/2016 23:09 (#5366897 - in reply to #5365933)

Benji - 6/20/2016 14:50 Anyone remember the round outdoor feeders that had lids that pigs would open with snout? And then drop when finished. Could hear banging sound around the farm at all times growing up, And through the windows during the summer nights. Memories

Feeder lids don't hold a candle to the noise made by stainless steel Smidley waterer lids.      Feeder lids are more of a dull thud, SS waterer lids are like someone ringing a bell, a loud one at that.

Best way to eliminate the water lid noise during the summer is to take them off.     By the time you need to put them back on for cold weather the hogs will mostly be sleeping through the night.

Edited by Kooiker 6/20/2016 23:09
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)