AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

track skid steer advice please
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SFAN
Posted 4/21/2016 10:35 (#5255782)
Subject: track skid steer advice please

SOUTHEAST IN
Looking at a bobcat T 650 or 750 Pros or cons?? What other brands or models are good??? I have only ran Deere and newholland wheeled machines.. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dmax08
Posted 4/21/2016 10:40 (#5255792 - in reply to #5255782)
Subject: RE: track skid steer advice please

SFAN - 4/21/2016 10:35

Looking at a bobcat T 650 or 750 Pros or cons?? What other brands or models are good??? I have only ran Deere and newholland wheeled machines.. TIA

Bobcat has a nice wheel machine but their track machines have a lot to be desired. For fine precise grading and heavy dirt work, nothing will run with a Takeuchi. Second pick would be a Kubota. All the rest are a wash. Deere is very easy to service, good power, and great lifting capacity, but the controls are not as nice as Tak and Kubota. Also they dont have the overhead door, which is a deal breaker for me. Look at the tracks on the Tak and Kubota compared to the Bobcat....theres nowhere for mud to go on the Bobcat. The Tak and Kubota have a lot of open space for mud to fall thru. It will still build up in the tracks but it has somewhere to go instead of getting packed in there. Our Bobcat gets pretty sluggish and doesnt want to do much when the tracks get full.

Edited by dmax08 4/21/2016 10:54
SFAN
Posted 4/21/2016 11:00 (#5255832 - in reply to #5255792)

SOUTHEAST IN
What model of the takeuchi.....? Have a 320 Deere now...may 65 HP. 2500 operating..wanting more machine and on tracks..
dmax08
Posted 4/21/2016 11:21 (#5255874 - in reply to #5255832)

SFAN - 4/21/2016 11:00

What model of the takeuchi.....? Have a 320 Deere now...may 65 HP. 2500 operating..wanting more machine and on tracks..

TL240 is what I'm running, now replaced by the TL10. Their new TL12V2 is a vertical lift 111 hp machine but I have not ran that one yet.
Mike SCKS
Posted 4/21/2016 11:35 (#5255890 - in reply to #5255874)

SCKS
I have a 323D John Deere 75 HP that I am very happy with. That being said if I didn't run mainly all Deere and like my dealer support I would own a Takuechi.
ekeller2
Posted 4/21/2016 11:40 (#5255905 - in reply to #5255832)

So. IL
SFAN - 4/21/2016 11:00

Takeuchi has tall cabs, good if you have tall buildings, bad if you are tight on space.
The_Owl
Posted 4/21/2016 12:39 (#5255999 - in reply to #5255792)

Watford City, ND
dmax08 - 4/21/2016 10:40

Bobcat has a nice wheel machine but their track machines have a lot to be desired. For fine precise grading and heavy dirt work, nothing will run with a Takeuchi. Second pick would be a Kubota. All the rest are a wash.

Where do you rate CAT machines? Just curious.
Damboy
Posted 4/21/2016 12:59 (#5256037 - in reply to #5255999)

Have a Cat 257. Love it. Have run a lot of skid steers and like their controls the best.
Mike SCKS
Posted 4/21/2016 13:17 (#5256062 - in reply to #5256037)

SCKS
I had a 257 and was constantly having undercarriage issues. Hopefully they have updated them some in the newer models. I do agree that I liked the controls
JohnW
Posted 4/21/2016 13:47 (#5256106 - in reply to #5255782)

NW Washington
Check out the Terex compact track loaders. Terex took over the ASV track loader line. http://www.terex.com/construction/en/products/compact-track-loaders...
dmax08
Posted 4/21/2016 14:49 (#5256185 - in reply to #5255999)

The_Owl - 4/21/2016 12:39

Bobcat has a nice wheel machine but their track machines have a lot to be desired. For fine precise grading and heavy dirt work, nothing will run with a Takeuchi. Second pick would be a Kubota. All the rest are a wash.

I have only ran the Cat machines with undercarriage suspension like the 279D. They are nice and smooth but the suspension makes holding a grade next to impossible and every time you go into a pile of dirt it throws your forward when you lift because of how the front rollers sag down. They are quiet, easy to service, dealers everywhere, and look the best of any in my opinion, but they just don't do what we want them to do. A landscaper or someone who is carrying stuff around a lot and not doing much grade work would probably really like them

Edited by dmax08 4/21/2016 14:50
bleedred
Posted 4/21/2016 16:07 (#5256262 - in reply to #5255999)

East Central Ia
We have a 289C and love it.

We have zero issues grading with it and do a fair amount of grade work with a laser mast.

Its a mini bulldozer.

Its been bulletproof so far.
dmax08
Posted 4/21/2016 16:47 (#5256297 - in reply to #5256262)

bleedred - 4/21/2016 16:07

We have zero issues grading with it and do a fair amount of grade work with a laser mast.

Its a mini bulldozer.

Maybe the suspension is froze up....? LOL

Like I said some people like em. Not being able to hold grade as well was our main complaint as well as some of the other excavators in the area. Personal opinion I guess. They are nice machines tho
bleedred
Posted 4/21/2016 17:24 (#5256346 - in reply to #5256297)

East Central Ia
I know what you are talking about with that front axle torsion bar. This is our first tracked loader so other than a few hours in a Deere tracked machine we have little to compare it too.

Maybe I just got used to it lol!

But I laser graded with it for our shop and the concrete guys said it was perfect.

When you grade do you raise and lower the boom or tip the bucket? I leave the boom arms all the way down and just tip the bucket to cut grade.
dmax08
Posted 4/21/2016 17:51 (#5256378 - in reply to #5256346)

bleedred - 4/21/2016 17:24

I know what you are talking about with that front axle torsion bar. This is our first tracked loader so other than a few hours in a Deere tracked machine we have little to compare it too.

But I laser graded with it for our shop and the concrete guys said it was perfect.

When you grade do you raise and lower the boom or tip the bucket? I leave the boom arms all the way down and just tip the bucket to cut grade.

I can see it working better with a laser grader. I normally just use the tilt, but the Tak is a little different. You have to pick it up about 2" cuz the bucket goes lower than the tracks. Some people don't like it but I do cuz I can backdrag better that way.
LX740
Posted 4/21/2016 18:51 (#5256474 - in reply to #5256297)

NW Iowa
dmax08 - 4/21/2016 16:47

bleedred - 4/21/2016 16:07

Its a mini bulldozer.

Maybe the suspension is froze up....? LOL

Like I said some people like em. Not being able to hold grade as well was our main complaint as well as some of the other excavators in the area. Personal opinion I guess. They are nice machines tho

Cat offers torsion stops. People have also been known to just weld the torsion axles solid if you don't like it. It would not be a reason for me not to buy one.
blackstripe
Posted 4/21/2016 19:06 (#5256497 - in reply to #5255782)

I think the bobcat is a decent machine, have a t630 thats a few years old now and so far i sure like it. have nothing to compare it too though as this is our first skidloader. it gets used for lots of various farm work and i am always impressed with it. one thing i would recommend getting with a tracked bobcat is the suspension in the tracks, rides really rough without it.

one option i really like is the selectable joysticks, keeps operaters used to different systems happy

Edited by blackstripe 4/21/2016 19:07
suntan
Posted 4/21/2016 20:22 (#5256686 - in reply to #5256497)

MD. eastern shore.

We like our kubota 90, also have a t300, and like said. The sprockets are a nightmare to keep clean on the 300. My friend has the 299 cat and loves it also. The overhead style door is very nice if you cant always put your boom all the way down! I do hear alot of people brag on tachuechi or however you spell it . You have a tough decision to make, mabe who you like in service dept mite help you on what brand to pick. Good luck!

srsu99
Posted 4/21/2016 21:05 (#5256824 - in reply to #5256378)

Central / West Texas
One of the old cat skinners that worked with us in our excavating company said "inexperienced operators have to back drag " I always got a kick out of that guys antics. You Tac guys seem to be like the green undie guys when it comes time ssl's . We are mostly cat here btw. QUOTE]dmax08 - 4/21/2016 16:51

I can see it working better with a laser grader. I normally just use the tilt, but the Tak is a little different. You have to pick it up about 2" cuz the bucket goes lower than the tracks. Some people don't like it but I do cuz I can backdrag better that way.
dmax08
Posted 4/22/2016 04:11 (#5257222 - in reply to #5256824)

srsu99 - 4/21/2016 21:05

One of the old cat skinners that worked with us in our excavating company said "inexperienced operators have to back drag " I always got a kick out of that guys antics. You Tac guys seem to be like the green undie guys when it comes time ssl's . We are mostly cat here btw. QUOTE]dmax08 - 4/21/2016 16:51

So leveling in forward AND reverse shows inexperience? Why wouldnt you want to be more efficient? Or why wouldnt you like to be able to go up to a footer and pull dirt? Tons of reasons being able to backdrag is nice.

As far as Tak guys being like Deere guys.....there are a lot of things that a lot of us really hate about the Tak, but as far as straight performance, the rest is a trade off we are willing to make I guess.
easymoney
Posted 4/22/2016 04:18 (#5257223 - in reply to #5256824)

ecmn
When we did finish work with skid steers we were within a couple hundredths of a foot or basically a quarter inch tolerance and you have inspectors checking that work. In that situation we always had good luck with the cat machines. Bobcats treated us well in this situation also. A good operator could get any machine to do it but at the end of the day some of them other machines work quite as comfy or a smooth operator and you felt it on your body,

Bobcat makes nice machines but we had a lot of reliability issues with the older T series. In one week we have 3 brand new t machines breakdown. 1 blouin oil hose no one has the computer glitch where would lock up and throw you into park while you're traveling and the third one also spraying some type of oil leak. But overall they were nice machines I would not have any problems finding a used one and use it for the farm.

Caterpillar set the standards with their pilot controls and the durability of their machines are they the winner of each class on every little task? No. But if you buy a cat machine you know you've got dealer service dependability and a comfortable machine that's easy to control. Little 247 B's we're like a little bumblebee just running around the job site be a great little skid-steer for the farm they're light they're not the most powerful machine but for General Farm use of fashion round bales and moving a little bit give me a fantastic machine.

Deer machines are good machines with some nice features the kubota's seem like a decent machine easy to operate.
Get Highway heavy work when you're slamming trouble all day bouncing over curbs and chunks of concrete basicly beating the machine to death. the case machines are slopped out within a couple thousand hours. The cats doing the same work at three times the hours are still an nice machine to operate you've might have put some bucket pins in them but for the most part there's still a solid machine.

If I had a free stall Dairy I would be using garden tractors instead of skid steers lot cheaper purchase prices easier on and off maybe a little more comfortable I see a lot of bonuses to use a little garden tractors instead of skid steers for the dairy 4 loder specific work I would be looking at small payloaders are telehandlers. I think a telehandler around the farm would be a fantastic machine. You could really stack hay with it move pallets have some sort of higher shelving and stuff like that for Commodities storage help with other repairs on equipment like grain bins whatever you needed to do. It would be a fantastic machine for loading feed wagons or mixtures because they can lift as high as you need to.

Edited by easymoney 4/22/2016 04:20
thedodd
Posted 4/22/2016 06:37 (#5257332 - in reply to #5256185)

Fountain County

dmax08 - 4/21/2016 14:49

The_Owl - 4/21/2016 12:39

I have only ran the Cat machines with undercarriage suspension like the 279D. They are nice and smooth but the suspension makes holding a grade next to impossible and every time you go into a pile of dirt it throws your forward when you lift because of how the front rollers sag down. They are quiet, easy to service, dealers everywhere, and look the best of any in my opinion, but they just don't do what we want them to do. A landscaper or someone who is carrying stuff around a lot and not doing much grade work would probably really like them

Videos my 19 month old has watched recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVLaDF6Fnww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SoGHpEEqs

jrmac
Posted 4/22/2016 09:40 (#5257678 - in reply to #5255782)

NWMO
Deere 333e
markw222
Posted 4/22/2016 23:29 (#5258804 - in reply to #5257678)

N E Oklahoma
Agree on the 333e. Bought mine about 2 weeks ago and really impressed with it. Plenty of power. Really like the cab and controls. Been running a turbo saw, and working pivot tracks in swamps. Works well in wet areas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)