AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I worry about buying a snow plow Equipped truck as a Daily Driver?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dmpaul89
Posted 4/11/2016 22:37 (#5237926)
Subject: Should I worry about buying a snow plow Equipped truck as a Daily Driver?

Sw. Ill
Looking at a 99 Super Duty With the V10 and only 87,000 miles. It seems to run and drive great, In fact it rides better than my Dads Excursion, seems to have more power too. Its at a dealer. It comes with a real nice looking Snow Plow (western?) I wasnt looking for a plow but I would be nice to have for our 1/2 mile long Driveway. Or I could sell it too. The truck has no body rust, and not a huge amount of underside rust, I wouldnt of guessed it was ever a plow truck if it wasnt still mounted on. How are the automatic transmissions in these trucks? Would plowing be hard on them? is there anything else I should check? the rear end is seeping oil out of the front. and transmission is wet on the bottom too. Looks like it has new exhaust manifolds (yeah we know all about those!) . Would you be worried about buying a plow truck to be used as a Daily Driver/ Camper hauler/ Machinery Hauler/ everyday truck?

I was looking for a 7.3 truck but they have become very hard to find anymore. And Ive already gone through the Diesel phase of my life! at this point ill take a good V10. I can put around in my 87 6.9 Diesel if i need a fix.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tomcat
Posted 4/11/2016 23:59 (#5238028 - in reply to #5237926)
Subject: RE: Should I worry about buying a snow plow Equipped truck as a Daily Driver?

Ludington/Manistee MI area
What did it plow? Huge difference if it plowed commercially it did one small driveway. The part I wouldn't like is its a Western. You are far enough south I doubt if all it did was one residence that would be enough to hurt it much.

Wet tranny would worry me some. My truck gets a new pinion seal next week. If you let it go too long and it gets water in the differential it gets spendy fast.
headerpuncher
Posted 4/12/2016 03:20 (#5238077 - in reply to #5238028)
Subject: RE: Should I worry about buying a snow plow Equipped truck as a Daily Driver?

Ea. Washington
If the truck and plow are both nice I wouldn't be afraid of it. You just don't plow a lot of snow without doing something to the plow or truck. Probably owned by somebody that didn't like getting up early or working all night but had the money and thought it would be nice to own a snowplow.
J,ReinkeFarms
Posted 4/12/2016 03:39 (#5238083 - in reply to #5237926)

Look at the plow itself first and look at the wear. My brother in law put a plow on his truck to push his 75' driveway. That one wouldn't scare me at all. My brother on the other hand works for a road commission and puts about 15-20,000 miles on an F250 a year with the plow on the ground.

Last truck he got rid of was a 2007/F250/5.4. Had 270,000 never had motor or trans work done. One prior was a 2002/F250/5.4 and it went 220,000 with only two front end rebuilds.

The newer trucks are a lot tougher than the older ones. Pinon seal wouldn't scare me. The wet trans might because they could have overheated it and that is coming out the vent.

But if it drives fine and the price and condition are right I wouldn't worry. If the rust isn't there figure worst case you rebuild a trans and a front axle (ball joints, u-joints, unit hubs)

Edited by J,ReinkeFarms 4/12/2016 03:40
Downwardspiral
Posted 4/12/2016 03:45 (#5238085 - in reply to #5237926)

Northern Indiana
The condition of the plow will tell you how it has been used. If the truck is well taken care of, and the plow is not all worn out or loose it is probably not been used commercially.

Remember, the commercial guys usually spread salt with thei trucks, and that is hard on everything. And if they are not spreading salt, they are operating in it.
Bubbaspb
Posted 4/12/2016 05:40 (#5238120 - in reply to #5237926)

Western WI
I'm thinking it's a very bad idea for you to buy this truck. Perhaps you should give me the information so I can check it out first hand ;)
thefarmers
Posted 4/12/2016 06:07 (#5238154 - in reply to #5237926)

From what I've seen of guys running plows on pickups, I'd pass. Seen to many ramrods.
Mike Shimek
Posted 4/12/2016 06:33 (#5238189 - in reply to #5237926)

High Springs, Florida

YES! I would be very concerned. Hitting curbs and obstacles is not good for the front end of the truck. Ex snow plow driver.

sj3788
Posted 4/12/2016 06:49 (#5238220 - in reply to #5237926)

swohio
I use to plow snow with my 90 F250. Never spread salt with it, but salt eat it up. Yes look at plow close. If rust is little to none, it might have been used little. Had no trouble with my trans, but plowing really worked on the front brakes. I do like the V10's, have one in my 99 Dodge. Loves fuel, but will pull anything that I need.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 4/12/2016 08:04 (#5238406 - in reply to #5237926)

The condition of the body will tell you a lot about how it was used to plow, if it plowed very much with somebody who was rummy with it there will be plenty of body damage. If the rest of the truck seems solid I wouldn't let the plow bother me.
Andy578
Posted 4/12/2016 08:06 (#5238420 - in reply to #5237926)

Ontario
i'd be more worried about the front end then anything else
SYI
Posted 4/12/2016 08:09 (#5238427 - in reply to #5237926)

Land of the Horizontal Snow Ontarios West Coast
I bought a plow truck once, it seemed in good shape hardly any rust, about 60000 miles on it, had a young family and was trying to watch the pennys ! Truck had to go visit my mechanic about twice a month, you name it - it needed it ! Finally after about a year and a half my wife said " between payments and mechanics bill you are paying for 2 new trucks " so went and bought a new one, have had it for 12 years and has just needed brakes and tires, does everything. my experience - don't walk but run away from it !
Dmpaul89
Posted 4/12/2016 09:19 (#5238574 - in reply to #5237926)

Sw. Ill
Thanks guys, looking at the carfax it was owned by a landscape company. although only for 30k miles. There are a few dents here and there, the plow looks great no rust on it really, but they have a few plows here and it could have been swapped, the ad shows it with a old rusty plow, but sales man says it comes with the newer one. interior is not dirty or abused looking. They are asking 9 Grand, which is on the high side for a gas super duty. I offered 7 and that was an absolute NO lol. Im still considering it, they came down a little but not enough yet.
Dmpaul89
Posted 4/12/2016 09:29 (#5238591 - in reply to #5238427)

Sw. Ill
it does come with a 3 month unlimited mile warranty. That covers all the major stuff, like engine and trans. Just have to pay a $100 deductible
thefarmers
Posted 4/12/2016 10:33 (#5238709 - in reply to #5238574)

Around here that is what the landscape businesses do in the winter, plow snow.
J,ReinkeFarms
Posted 4/12/2016 11:40 (#5238855 - in reply to #5238709)

Landscape company part would make me run and run fast. That is based on what I have seen around here.
davpal
Posted 4/12/2016 11:50 (#5238869 - in reply to #5237926)

Mid Michigan
It literally wouldn't matter to me at all. I would look at the plow as an asset come winter time. You can probably make a few bucks with it and it sure will be nice come winter time. The way I look at it your buying a 99 Ford. It's 17 years old. Ford had a lot of quality problems during the 90's and the plow being on the front wasn't one of them. Buy it and use it.
hd6gtom
Posted 4/13/2016 08:31 (#5240693 - in reply to #5237926)

I owned a shop till my back got so bad I could not do the work. We worked on a contractors trucks. He had 3 dedicated trucks with plows on the front of them. They always had trannys, ujounts, axle problems, etc. I would not buy it, unless you really need a plow, experience speaking here
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)