AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone had a cow or bull ram their ATV or side by side?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 2/26/2016 12:09 (#5139014)
Subject: Anyone had a cow or bull ram their ATV or side by side?

West of Broken Bow
Never experienced it myself. Only had a couple incidents when driving pickup through pastures. One was a cow with calf and the other was a young Charolais bull.

Got to thinking about that calf catcher mounted beside a 4 wheeler.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldskool
Posted 2/26/2016 12:19 (#5139036 - in reply to #5139014)
Subject: RE: Anyone had a cow or bull ram their ATV or side by side?

Yes on the 4wheeler. No on the sxs. The 4wheeler has seen 2 yearling bulls(neighbors). And 3 cows, 2 with calves and one yearling heifer. Never ended poorly, but a 600lb open station machine is not my first choice of vehicle to be on the receiving end of an upset critter.
Joelt
Posted 2/26/2016 12:23 (#5139050 - in reply to #5139014)

perryton, tx
Not rammed but got kicked by a bull while on my 4 wheeler. Luckily it was just a glancing blow.
povertypoint
Posted 2/26/2016 12:46 (#5139087 - in reply to #5139014)

SE SD

Had a new momma hop on for a 4 wheeler ride.
She didn't like me putting her new baby in my lap.

Had one cow try to car jack the pick up. Pulled the calf in the cab to tag it, and
she followed right behind. That one required a change of shorts.

Darn near 60, and I can still climb a fence or a tree about as good as a squirrel. 

mn2
Posted 2/26/2016 13:12 (#5139129 - in reply to #5139087)

Yes, had a bull last fall wouldn't come out of some thick trees, brush when we had our roundup. We sat and stared at each other about 20 yards apart. I was on 4 wheeler. All of a sudden f--- here he comes full bore, I took off with 4 wheeler hit me on the front put me in a tree trunk. Thankfully he kept going. I'm 61, told my son I'm going home. Had to get a cowboy out of clear lake sd, to rope him. Even he wrestled him about 3 hrs with a horse and 2 dogs. Said he was the rankest yearling bull he's seen.

Edited by mn2 2/26/2016 16:17
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/26/2016 13:47 (#5139188 - in reply to #5139014)

just a tish NE of central ND
A friend had 4 wheeler pushed through a barbed wire fence by a bull. He fell and climbed under the wires (after being hit)then the 4 wheeler followed suit behind him.
Ben
Posted 2/26/2016 14:08 (#5139212 - in reply to #5139014)

North Mo.
1 was pushing a bull one time he turned and put my atv and me on end then turned and continued to walk in the direction I wanted him to go. I let him go at his own pace. He was a really nice Saler bull a thick not leggy bull that was gentle.
raccoon12
Posted 2/26/2016 14:13 (#5139217 - in reply to #5139014)

southeast Iowa
couple years ago I squared off with a heiffer. She didn't want to come off cornstalks and into the corral. we went round and round. when she turned and squared on me on my two day old 4 wheeler. She bobbed her head once and came right at me. Wham. hit me right in the winch. she went to the ground, got up and ran off. Not proud of that at all, So I took Dr. Toms course.. Today I could put her in that pen in a calm manner and she would think it was her idea. Low stress cattle handling is better and easier for all of us, and mght keep us alive.
Supa Dexta
Posted 2/26/2016 15:23 (#5139292 - in reply to #5139014)

NS Canada
Sometimes I'll rope full grown bulls off the 4wheeler, halter them and then drag them to where I need them to go. Just waiting for them to realize they could take off with it tied to them - but they haven't figured it out so far... and I'm not going to tell them.
pupdaddy12003
Posted 2/26/2016 16:22 (#5139371 - in reply to #5139292)

NW Central Ohio
...do us a favor and get a video camera mounted to record that. I think the time they figure it out might be interesting to watch!!!...LOL!
TractorAddict
Posted 2/26/2016 17:13 (#5139461 - in reply to #5139292)

West of Broken Bow
I wouldn't tell them either. LOL

Friend had I think two different bulls cave in the driver's side door on his pickup. Second time occurred just after getting it fixed after the first incident. He's in his early 80's and now only goes into pastures with either a Polaris Ranger or cab tractor. Had hip replacement surgery not that long ago. Sure hope those bulls don't rough him up. He gave up on trying to stop them from fighting each other when he brings new ones to ranch.
david lwatson
Posted 2/26/2016 18:19 (#5139589 - in reply to #5139461)

east tenn
had a 1500# cow tackle our honda 4x4 when freind had dad hauling him in dipper on tractor trying to shoot it down to load after the shot took effect i was trying to keep her outta the woods bout 3 time running her out she charged the 4 wheeler i popped it down a gear all tires were really spinning when her nose hit the front tire. her nose looked like hamburger after she hit n went in other direction not sure how far she knocked me n 4 wheeler. glad she decided she had enought n we both went in diff directions.
guy told me later she had totaled his yamaha earlier that day.
billonthefarm
Posted 2/26/2016 18:57 (#5139646 - in reply to #5139014)

Farmington IL
Had a cow hurt a hip or leg. We wanted to bring her out of the pasture to get her healed up. She ended up going over the handle bars of the 4-wheeler as my hired man was bailing off. Scared all of us. She was a little hard on the handle bars!
ahay68979
Posted 2/26/2016 19:15 (#5139683 - in reply to #5139646)

Saronville NE
Worked for a neighbor that bought 5 potloads of cows out of SD. They seemed like good cows, till they had calves. They had never been around people or 4 wheelers. We always worked new pairs on 4wheelers. Usually just 2 people, these cows took 3 cause you had to have a 3rd guy to with a club to keep cows off the 2 working the calf. We had one completely clear the 4wheeler, another rolled a 4wheeler. We even had one take the 3010 and mangle the front tin work. Think by the next fall was only 11/2 pot loads left others hit the road were just to mean to be around.
wayneNWAR
Posted 2/26/2016 19:21 (#5139697 - in reply to #5139014)

north west arkansas
Yep.
ntexcotton
Posted 2/26/2016 19:55 (#5139770 - in reply to #5139014)

North Central Texas
2 funerals within 20 miles in the last 10 years and both chasing cattle with a 4 wheeler. The butt of a horse can knock a cow down.
still learn'n
Posted 2/26/2016 20:29 (#5139844 - in reply to #5139014)

SC. KS
Cows get rowdy with my father around they better watch out he has to have grill guards on front one time he shoved the winch back into the radiator on ATV one cow decided after she got bowled over that it was easier to go in the pen if they charge he guns it
Direct Injected
Posted 2/26/2016 22:34 (#5140108 - in reply to #5139844)

SW, Missouri
A bull got a neighbor on horseback. Broke a couple ribs and I think injured the horse as well.
buckmaster
Posted 2/26/2016 23:49 (#5140154 - in reply to #5139770)

ND
Neighbor 1 mile away got killed on a 4 wheeler chasing cows.

A year ago last fall had a cow go into some trees I followed her in on the 4 wheeler ,I got caught up in the trees, could see her 100 yards away looking at me and here she came. Well hell I am not scared of a cow, truthfully yes I am but no where to go, so grabbed a claw hammer I had in my basket on the wheeler , she hit the front of the wheeler just about tipped me over, I got my balance and started hitting her with my hammer, she busted the headlight with the housing and all out and wrecked my basket, hit my leg and run on by out of sight in the trees. Well had to get out and try to find her, no I don't here she come again and still had a score to settle with me ,she took it out on the back of the wheeler and the front tire pushing me sideways, I got her with my hammer several times then she run off. My Boy was IN This clump of trees to looking for this cow so I needed to find him before she did. When I found him i was relieved then anger set in,I won and the cow lost! Not entirely I lost some money fixing my wheeler.
Be careful guys!
KLo
Posted 2/26/2016 23:54 (#5140155 - in reply to #5139217)

Northeast, NE
Noffsinger?
Go farm
Posted 2/28/2016 00:54 (#5142033 - in reply to #5139014)

central ND/SD border
Geez, reading all these stories is going to make me think more when around the cows, probably a good thing though.
When talking about crops or cattle, I always said I liked crops better, because I've never had to jump a fence due to a stalk of wheat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)