AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exhaust pipe bender question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

E718
Posted 11/7/2015 08:08 (#4882296)
Subject: Exhaust pipe bender question

Sac & Story county IA
I have never been around an exhaust pipe bender machine. How close can 30 degree bends be together? How thick of wall tube do they work with? Would a 90 degree bend be feasible? How near mandrel bent is the final result?
I changed the engine in a tractor and my suction pipe makes the water pump cavitate. I used sch 10 pipe cut off at 45 degrees and welded back together for 90 bends. Too many apparently.

I want opinions on having a pipe made vs using sweat copper 45s and rigid pipe. Open to other ideas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
a4t-1600
Posted 11/7/2015 08:14 (#4882316 - in reply to #4882296)
Subject: RE: Exhaust pipe bender question

Dearfield Co.
exhaust pipe is soft and will stretch to a smaller diameter . I would buy my bends then cut the angles and tig weld them like I was building a set of headers myself.

Lots of fertilizer trailer shops like Bosselmans have lots of pre bent pipe in stainless and aluminum that might be another way to go.
IowabigTee
Posted 11/7/2015 08:22 (#4882332 - in reply to #4882296)

Years ago when we built our first roll cage on our pulling tractor we bought the pipe and went to different muffler shops to get it bent. they all said they could do it but they all left flat spots where they bent it. we found out you need a bender with a-I believe it is called-mandrel follower. We did, they did-worked good. You can buy prebent elbows with different degrees of radius. Or you could make more cuts to get your 90 degree bend.---- Tee
a4t-1600
Posted 11/7/2015 08:40 (#4882379 - in reply to #4882332)

Dearfield Co.
If you look at the dies in the benders you can see why they stretch and lead flat spots. Exhaust benders are crude since they can be. I would say a 30 degree bend would need to be a high $$$ mandrel bender that wont be at every exhaust shop. I have bought what I refer to as a bag of bends from exhaust header makers then welded up what I needed but its not fun escpailly the first time you do it. If you compare the tubing for exhaust with your DOM tubing you should of used in your cage you will also see a difference.

If you do have a stock car racer or drag race chassis shop in your are with one of the Hossfield benders with the right size dies you can have them attempt the bend . There is also that company that builds stainless water tube for semi trucks that can bend up lots of angles as well you will have to google to get there name I can't find it in the files this morning
jedeka
Posted 11/7/2015 09:57 (#4882506 - in reply to #4882296)

Boone, Iowa
Auto-Jet Muffler can sell you about any degree of mandrel bend exhaust pipe. One location is in Des Moines, Iowa.
JRosenberger
Posted 11/7/2015 10:21 (#4882532 - in reply to #4882296)

Milford, IL
If you dont have that much to do and want to save a few bucks, skip the bender and fill the pipe full of sand. Tape the ends shut, heat the pipe, and bend away.

Wouldnt do a roll cage this way but works alright for relatively thin exhaust pipe.
durallymax
Posted 11/7/2015 10:26 (#4882538 - in reply to #4882296)

Wi
Just buy the bends you need. Much easier, you likely will not find a mandrel bender at an old exhaust shop. They are very expensive.
BrentOntario
Posted 11/7/2015 11:00 (#4882589 - in reply to #4882296)

Find a shop with a very expen$ive looking machine like this. Likely specialize in food and pharma manufacturing plants.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yigRgG_NIyU
Jon Hagen
Posted 11/7/2015 20:56 (#4883442 - in reply to #4882296)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Possibly build the pipe out of larger sweat solder fittings / pipe if you have the room, and only reduce to the size you need at the ends to connect to radiator and engine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)